Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire from BMW/other place

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

View Poll Results: Where should I Get the tire from?
BMW 1 4.76%
Other 20 95.24%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

09-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 3281 Xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Tire from BMW/other place

So turns out the TPMS going off every 2 weeks was due to a small leak in the sidewall of the Continental Run flat tire. (driver side front). I called BMW they said I would be fine with just getting one new one as long as its put on the back right of the car (they said that tire would wear more than the others and catch up to the others tread wise).

Saying that should I go to BMW to get a new tire and have it put on or should I buy one elsewhere (tire rack is the only place i can find that has the exact tire) and bring it some place to put it on?

225/45 R 17 run flat continental contpro contact SSR tires.

If anyone knows where to get it cheaper please let me know. Its about $209 +$22 shipping then w/e it costs to mount.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

You can go to any tire shop that sells that tire. The dealer will be more then any other place out there. In CA you can go to Discount Tire but I don't know if they are around your area.

Or you can jsut get all new tires and get rid of the RFT.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy View Post
You can go to any tire shop that sells that tire. The dealer will be more then any other place out there. In CA you can go to Discount Tire but I don't know if they are around your area.

Or you can jsut get all new tires and get rid of the RFT.
No discount tire around my location in MD moved here in july. Also the website doesnt have the continental SSR's, a lot of those places dont like to deal with run falts. i would switch them but the fact that getting a flat leaves you stranded unless you take up the whole trunk with a donut or spare and that isnt a great option on long trips in a coupe, need all the trunk space the car offers. I will check the discount tire locations and prices.

Last edited by rbocc13; 09-13-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Try the tirerack.com. They list local installers, including those who will work with runflats.

You might also consider a Conticomfortkit instead of a spare. There are issues with the TPMS if you use it, but it get you moving again without having to carry a spare.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Try the tirerack.com. They list local installers, including those who will work with runflats.

You might also consider a Conticomfortkit instead of a spare. There are issues with the TPMS if you use it, but it get you moving again without having to carry a spare.
yea what I didnt like about the kit was every time you use it you also have to buy a new tpms sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbocc13 View Post
So turns out the TPMS going off every 2 weeks was due to a small leak in the sidewall of the Continental Run flat tire. (driver side front). I called BMW they said I would be fine with just getting one new one as long as its put on the back right of the car (they said that tire would wear more than the others and catch up to the others tread wise).

Saying that should I go to BMW to get a new tire and have it put on or should I buy one elsewhere (tire rack is the only place i can find that has the exact tire) and bring it some place to put it on?

225/45 R 17 run flat continental contpro contact SSR tires.

If anyone knows where to get it cheaper please let me know. Its about $209 +$22 shipping then w/e it costs to mount.

Thanks in advance
The new tire will wear quicker and catch up to the others? Really?

The person you spoke with is obviously clueless about tires.

There are lots of places to get tires. If your tire has a pinhole in the sidewall then it can't be repaired, but is the dealer the same person who told you about a leak in the sidewall?

Sidewall leaks without apparent trauma damage is quite rare. Did you actually see the damaged spot?

Go to a reputable tire shop and have them find the leak. It is probably in the tread and can be repaired by anyone but a dealer (dealers won't repair runflats for liability issues because they don't know if you've driven it without air. If you are positive that the tire was never severely low then it can be fixed.)

While you can get the same tire installed anywhere, there is something to be said about getting it replaced at the dealer. If your previously pristine wheel is damaged during the mounting process, getting it repaired/replaced is much easier with a dealer than at a mom-n-pop tire place.

I always take pictures of my wheels before I go to a tire place or dealer. I leave one copy in the car (on the pax seat) and give the other to the SA and ask that they attach it to the work order. That way it is their responsibility to point out any pre-existing damage before they start work.

Another point. Depending on the miles on your current tires you most likely will have to replace two tires. As a general rule, you'll need to replace both tires on the same axle if you have more than 5000 or so miles on the existing tires. The new tires will NOT wear faster to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

I had a problem with one of my tires on my wifes 328. I just ordered a used one of the same continantal SSR off ebay for 60 bucks. Works fine
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
I had a problem with one of my tires on my wifes 328. I just ordered a used one of the same continantal SSR off ebay for 60 bucks. Works fine
good info. searched and found new ones as well as a few used ones not as cheap as yours but still half the price of brand new one. If i need another one i will buy it on there.
Appreciate 0