BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #155
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
It was only a little joke and not to be taken too seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #156
alito
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 CONVERTIBLE

I have not been on this forum for a while and just read the comments. The agression is ridiculous. If you have the lag, keep on the forum. If you are happy and your car has no lag, then stop insulting people... it just makes you look bad. The car does have a lag, no matter how we all describe it... it's a lag. The car had no lag before the last update, hence it is a programing issue since there were no mechanical alterations done. It is really not that complicated. There are two issues here from BMW. It is probably not that easy to re-program one thing without changing the overall behavior of the DCT and I am sure they do not want to fix one thing and break another. Also, it is a money issue for BMW. It costs more than you can think to do a recall. ALL MANUFACTURED calculate a risk benefit cost assessment to wether they do a recall or not. That includes cost of the research, parts, time, reputation impact, potential accidents and lawsuits and they will do the cheapest. Having had an "issue" with my 335 Convertible before I got my M3 Cov, I can tell you they will not act until pushed. There are already Law Firms orwking on lawsuits, so I am sure a "fix" is coming. Don't forget that these softwares also come with other "fixes" and may also come with other "bugs" in them. What upsets me the most is BMW's secrecy and complete lack of comunication with its customers. What ends up happening is that there is a perception that BMW does not care and that it's customers are idiots.
I had a Porche SUV that is years old and I traded it in recently for a Mazda CX9. I was considering a BMW but with my last two experiences with BMW and the significant price difference, I decided it was not worth it. The Mazda is sporty enough for my wife and, for the money, it is truly a good vehicle. The driver's power seat had a very erratic behavior. We thought, hey maybe it's us that are used to more expensive cars. To our surprise, Mazda sent us a letter. It stated that they were aware of the problem, that they were sorry, that they were working on it and thay they would fix it for free as soon as the solution was found. I felt OK with that and two months latter got a letter to take it to the dealer. I also got an e-mail and a phone call from the dealer. I took it in, it was done in one hour with a free oil change, car wash and a coupon for $50 off for an accessorie. This is a car that cost me $32,000 !!! I will probably even forget that the car had a problem. It was so easy. I can guarantee you I will not forget BMW's behavior.
It is a good thing that everything else is this car is so amazing.....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #157
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alito View Post
If you have the lag, keep on the forum. If you are happy and your car has no lag, then stop insulting people...
OK...Happy, got no lag, stop insulting...Got it.

Quote:
The car does have a lag, no matter how we all describe it... it's a lag.
True the gearbox does lag under certain conditions but, despite repeated assertions to the contrary, it is possible to drive a DCT M3 in a fairly simple way and not experience any lag whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #158
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Am I not right in thinking that prior to the software upgrade there with two issues with the gearbox, one being the refusal to down shift under extreme braking and the other being the stalling problem. Since the upgrade these two problems have been replaced with the lag, so I continue to suggest that maybe there is a design flaw with the gearbox that you either get one problem or the other and the trick is trying to fix both at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #159
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
OK...Happy, got no lag, stop insulting...Got it.

True the gearbox does lag under certain conditions but, despite repeated assertions to the contrary, it is possible to drive a DCT M3 in a fairly simple way and not experience any lag whatsoever.
I beg to differ. The lag is relative to the way you drive it. THe harder you drive, the more pronounce it is. I drive mine in S mode so I rarely get the lag but in D mode it is more disturbing. If you drive your car in D mode and in a relax way, you will still experience the lag but in a subtle way. No matter what, it is still a safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #160
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Perimeno kai eyo.....tha thoume ti tha yini apo afto to provlima.
No reckon mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #161
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Am I not right in thinking that prior to the software upgrade there with two issues with the gearbox, one being the refusal to down shift under extreme braking and the other being the stalling problem. Since the upgrade these two problems have been replaced with the lag, so I continue to suggest that maybe there is a design flaw with the gearbox that you either get one problem or the other and the trick is trying to fix both at the same time.
Apart from the 2 fixed issues you mention, there was also (i) delay between paddle actuation and gearshift execution and (ii) all sorts of error messages poping up. I remember the list contained 4 basic issues, now its down to (a new) one.

At least some progress is made overall!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #162
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
I beg to differ. The lag is relative to the way you drive it. THe harder you drive, the more pronounce it is. I drive mine in S mode so I rarely get the lag but in D mode it is more disturbing. If you drive your car in D mode and in a relax way, you will still experience the lag but in a subtle way. No matter what, it is still a safety issue.
It is very easy to drive without any lag whatsoever and it is based on one simple rule; never ever let the gearbox software change gear for you.
BMW is getting a lot of stick over this but its worth noting that BMW licence the DCT from Getrag and I'm betting that the software coding is in large part down to Getrag to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #163
miltiadesone
miltiadesone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

I have the same issues with my M3, and I keep getting this prompt after driving it hard. Has anybody else seen this???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #164
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
There were more problems than that, including incorrect shifts, ignored shift commands and the other lag between paddle pull and the beginning of the upshift. These too seem to be sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #165
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm not sure if that is good enough...really you should add a picture of yourself by the car holding your passport and a copy of todays newspaper. Ideally the picture should be contersigned by a judge or similar.
You have noticed that this fellow is not responding to the challenge, right? It is again my strong suspicion he does not own a M-DCT M3. IF this is the case he is not only inciting but outright lying. This particular combination of the two is really quite despicable.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #166
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You have noticed that this fellow is not responding to the challenge, right? It is again my strong suspicion he does not own a M-DCT M3. IF this is the case he is not only inciting but outright lying. This particular combination of the two is really quite despicable.

Not responding to the challenge? wrong
Not owing an M3 DCT? wrong
Inciting? wrong
Outright lying? wrong

You are jumping too quickly in too many wrong conclusions without taking the time to read the threads above.

Please read thread 145!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #167
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There were more problems than that, including incorrect shifts, ignored shift commands and the other lag between paddle pull and the beginning of the upshift. These too seem to be sorted.
As my car came in September and probably had at least one software upgrade prior to leaving the factory I had no experienced about the incorrect shifts, ignored shift commands and the other lag between paddle pull and the beginning of the upshift. I suppose I simply forgot about all of these problems as they were at the start and had long since been sorted.

P.S.
Lighten up on gr8000, I think the document he produced says a lot about the person he is.

Last edited by footie; 03-18-2009 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #168
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
It is very easy to drive without any lag whatsoever and it is based on one simple rule; never ever let the gearbox software change gear for you.
BMW is getting a lot of stick over this but its worth noting that BMW licence the DCT from Getrag and I'm betting that the software coding is in large part down to Getrag to fix.
I can manually downshift to 2nd gear prior to a turn, coast into the turn and the transmission will disengage the clutch. How is that different from what you just described?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #169
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I can manually downshift to 2nd gear prior to a turn, coast into the turn and the transmission will disengage the clutch. How is that different from what you just described?
As the revs fall to the preset anti-stall threshold the gearbox software pulls in the clutch...you should have already selected 1st before that occurs unless you fully expect to come to a complete stop in which case you can let the software select first which is at somewhere around 2-3 mph I think.
Perhaps the "one simple rule;" needs some fine tuning maybe to: "never let the gearbox software make a decision for you."
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #170
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
I have not been on this forum for a while and just read the comments. The agression is ridiculous. If you have the lag, keep on the forum. If you are happy and your car has no lag, then stop insulting people... it just makes you look bad. The car does have a lag, no matter how we all describe it... it's a lag. The car had no lag before the last update, hence it is a programing issue since there were no mechanical alterations done. It is really not that complicated. There are two issues here from BMW. It is probably not that easy to re-program one thing without changing the overall behavior of the DCT and I am sure they do not want to fix one thing and break another. Also, it is a money issue for BMW. It costs more than you can think to do a recall. ALL MANUFACTURED calculate a risk benefit cost assessment to wether they do a recall or not. That includes cost of the research, parts, time, reputation impact, potential accidents and lawsuits and they will do the cheapest. Having had an "issue" with my 335 Convertible before I got my M3 Cov, I can tell you they will not act until pushed. There are already Law Firms orwking on lawsuits, so I am sure a "fix" is coming. Don't forget that these softwares also come with other "fixes" and may also come with other "bugs" in them. What upsets me the most is BMW's secrecy and complete lack of comunication with its customers. What ends up happening is that there is a perception that BMW does not care and that it's customers are idiots.
I had a Porche SUV that is years old and I traded it in recently for a Mazda CX9. I was considering a BMW but with my last two experiences with BMW and the significant price difference, I decided it was not worth it. The Mazda is sporty enough for my wife and, for the money, it is truly a good vehicle. The driver's power seat had a very erratic behavior. We thought, hey maybe it's us that are used to more expensive cars. To our surprise, Mazda sent us a letter. It stated that they were aware of the problem, that they were sorry, that they were working on it and thay they would fix it for free as soon as the solution was found. I felt OK with that and two months latter got a letter to take it to the dealer. I also got an e-mail and a phone call from the dealer. I took it in, it was done in one hour with a free oil change, car wash and a coupon for $50 off for an accessorie. This is a car that cost me $32,000 !!! I will probably even forget that the car had a problem. It was so easy. I can guarantee you I will not forget BMW's behavior.
It is a good thing that everything else is this car is so amazing.....
+1
I agree with alito on BMW's lack of PR regarding this serious safety issue. And worse to issue an SIB telling us that "it works as designed" and get over it, is a real slap in the face. Although having lived in Germany for 2 years as an ex-Pat, I guess I should not be surprised by that kind of business attitude
BTW, no offense to the Deutsche M3Post members

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #171
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Not responding to the challenge? wrong
Not owing an M3 DCT? wrong
Inciting? wrong
Outright lying? wrong

You are jumping too quickly in too many wrong conclusions without taking the time to read the threads above.

Please read thread 145!!!
No, no, no. The person I am challenging is 04RC51 not you! I only asked you to share and you did and I thank you for that. Sorry for any confusion. I really thought I was perfectly clear (see my post #136). Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #172
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
No, no, no. The person I am challenging is 04RC51 not you! I only asked you to share and you did and I thank you for that. Sorry for any confusion. I really thought I was perfectly clear (see my post #136). Cheers.
Didn't realise that - apologies for my misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #173
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
+1, sorry swamp I too misunderstood who you really meant.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:30 AM   #174
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Thank you for further email.

When information is released by BMW AG regarding an update for the DCT gearboxes it will be communicated to the Dealers via a technical bulletin. I recommend staying in contact with your nearest Dealer who can update you as soon as the information is released.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK

Customer Information Advisor
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel:
Fax: 0870 5050 206
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #175
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

I recently refused to let my dealer perform the program upgrade on my '08 MDCT based on this thread... and now it looks like there are TWO program "upgrades"?! From what I've read, the recall addresses an engine stall issue upon rapid downshift (deceleration) only in D mode. No problem... I only drive the car in S mose and my wife will never be rapidly deceleration because she doesn't drive fast anyway
When I drive (S) = no lag
When wife drives (D) = maybe lag, but she doesn't notice.
Wife aslo has had a Mazda6 w/ sportshift auto and now Audi A4 S-Line with auto... both had/have major lag. I think it's inherent with any form of auto shifting, torque converter or dual clutch, doesn't matter.

Now I'm worried about the issues some have reported after driving hard. I'm headed to the track today and hope to get in some laps.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #176
drakar99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 coupe,DCT, Perf. exh

I have 5000 miles on mine...and no lag problem. It is just perfect!
Appreciate 0