BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What car should a 16 year old get?
Nothing. 16 year olds shouldn't have their own car. 8 14.81%
I might help out if they were buying their own car. 9 16.67%
Something old and big, like an old Town Car. 7 12.96%
Something old and small, like a 240SX or Miata. 9 16.67%
Something new and big, like a Ford Explorer. 1 1.85%
Something new and small, like a Civic. 15 27.78%
Something sporty, like a Civic Si or Mazdaspeed 3. 3 5.56%
A serious performance car, like a 135i. 1 1.85%
A new luxury car, like a Lexus ES350. 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

12-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
It all comes down to what I experienced when I was younger...I knew multiple kids that got new cars when they turned 16, some wrecked them, some just ran them into the ground, and pracitally none of them gave 2 shits about it because their parent's were more then willing to buy them another one...Granted there were some exceptions to that.

My parent's never bought me shit...I turned 14 and was practially forced to find a part-time job. It sucked, but it taught me a great deal, about life, money, etc.

Just because now I'm looking at buying a BMW doesn't mean that I'm automatically rich, and plan to spoil my kid... I mean I do want to provide him with things to make his life easier then mine was, but at 16 I just can't see myself buying him a car. Sure he might be like you and treat it like gold, but personnaly I think he'd be better off not having it simply handed to him.
You are correct - buying a BMW does not make one rich. Didn't necessarily mean to imply that. But, just as true - giving a child a car does not spoil them. I'd like to say I'm proof of that. The same is true of my daughters.

But, more importantly to this site, I'm fired up about being #2 on the list for a 128i at our local dealership! Can't wait for Spring!

Peace,
col.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #24
DCMotorer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI Cooper

My kids will drive what I did as a teenager, a 10 year old Volvo.
      12-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
my07blkgti
Private
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI - 6MT

I would say big and old. My dad bought me a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and it tought me how to drive properly rather than speed everywhere because the car wasnt no where near quick. I have been driving since I was 16yrs, first car was that Oldsmobile, then I had a e36 325i(that I purchased), now I have a 2007 VW GTI(which I love but might be trading it in for a 135i)...between all of the cars I clocked 70k miles+ and havent been involved in an accident, ever which I thank god and thank my dad for teaching me how to drive with a slow car. It really does make you appreciate when you do get a nice car like the GTI I got now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #26
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

I put might help out because my dad said he would help me with insurance on my 1 when I get it, granted I'm 19 not 16 I know that if I'm investing all or some of my own money into a car I'd be more inclined to take care of it and make sure not to lose it by wrecking or copious amounts of tickets.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #27
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueless View Post
I put might help out because my dad said he would help me with insurance on my 1 when I get it, granted I'm 19 not 16 I know that if I'm investing all or some of my own money into a car I'd be more inclined to take care of it and make sure not to lose it by wrecking or copious amounts of tickets.
Help you out wit insurance? How does a 19 yr old kid afford the payments on a 40K car? Obviously dads helping out wit a bit more than insurance if you already have a hayabusa and katana.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #28
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
Help you out wit insurance? How does a 19 yr old kid afford the payments on a 40K car? Obviously dads helping out wit a bit more than insurance if you already have a hayabusa and katana.
considering I worked since 16 and full time since I was 18 and don't pay insurance on either bike how is that hard to believe? I plan on selling them for the car anyway so you shouldn't make assumptions without knowing the whole story. (Also note the possibly in the sig...)

edit - You may not have been trying to offend me, but you did. I worked hard to pay for all my vehicles, rebuild and maintain them myself.
I work 9-5 M through F, go to school at night, tutor on the weekends for extra cash, it really boils my blood when people assume I have stuff given to me because I own 2 bikes and hope to own a 1 eventually.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #29
Atomsk
Rep
Drives:

My parents bought me my first car, and I still drive it nearly 8 years later. Since then I have graduated high school, college, and started a career at a major defense company. I have also recently purchased a new condo and have started paying my first mortgage payments for the past 6 months. I am financially independant and believe I have some idea of the value of money.

I think it comes down to how your raised your child and not always how much that child has been given.

Side note: there are many different types of drivers. As a parent, you should probably be able to tell what type of driver your son or daughter might be. If your kid is going to be the type that does burn outs, doughnuts and crazy stuff then maybe it isn't a great idea to get them something new (or something at all) if they are going to abuse it like that.

I personally have never been pulled over by a cop and have only been in one minor accident (driving an 18 ft long moving truck for my first time!). My parents made it clear to me (over and over) that this was an extreme priviledge and that they could take it away at any time if they saw fit. It worked and I thank them every day I drive my Jetta, since its an awesome car and I think I will have a lifetime love affair with germain cars because of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #30
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueless View Post
considering I worked since 16 and full time since I was 18 and don't pay insurance on either bike how is that hard to believe? I plan on selling them for the car anyway so you shouldn't make assumptions without knowing the whole story. (Also note the possibly in the sig...)

edit - You may not have been trying to offend me, but you did. I worked hard to pay for all my vehicles, rebuild and maintain them myself.
I work 9-5 M through F, go to school at night, tutor on the weekends for extra cash, it really boils my blood when people assume I have stuff given to me because I own 2 bikes and hope to own a 1 eventually.
Sorry I offended you, my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #31
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
Sorry I offended you, my mistake.
no problem . I can see where it would look like what you originally stated.
Appreciate 0