BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #45
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel91 View Post
Ironic != sarcsastic. As I said, it was ironic that the person complaining about grammar used improper grammar. You pointed out that irony. You did not mock him. Sarcasm can involve irony, but it does not always. Likewise, irony is not always sarcastic.

“Irony must not be confused with sarcasm, which is direct: sarcasm means precisely what it says, but in a sharp, caustic, ... manner." - Eric Partridge (Lexographer)

I'll ignore the personal attacks, an example of an ad hominem logical fallacy.
I was mocking him. Just like I mocked you.

Um, I think I know what my own intent was when I made the original post.

What's the point, Sparky? Or is it "Eric Partridge the world famous lexographer?"
That was sacrasm, btw. LOL.

Anywhoo, it's getting boring now. It was fun at first, but now you've become strangely nerdy. Like those kids we'd beat up after school.

Me like RagingClue better:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Oh great so now we're talking about math too?
Now dat be funny.

"I do derision every time I do my ciphering" --Jethro Bodine, 1978.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #46
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

I do derision every time I do my ciphering" --Jethro Bodine, 1978
The Hillbillies went off the air in 1971

Little things like that make you lose all credibility
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #47
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogijet View Post
He may be a brilliant mechanic though. I really don't care if my mechanic can't speak or write a lick of English. If my brakes are broken and breaks are what he's good at fixing, and his breaks are my brakes, and he doesn't take breaks while fixing my brakes, nor break my brakes when he's breaking them in with braking, and at the end of the day my brakes are not broken, then we're good. I wrote that as a tribute to this thread and will now sell it to Montessori as a nursery rhyme for kids.
Kind of meant, a long rambling post that talks down to others, where spelling is good for the most part and yet cant spell the word hes an "authority" on.
Saw it happen on a Corvette forum Im a member where some jerk off was berating another, going on and on about how much of an audiophile(he spelled it correctly) he is yet spelled base numerous times refering to subs. Guy turned out to be a know nothing and was outed.
Just stuck with me. know what you mean though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #48
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post

Max Baer(spelling?) who played Jethro, became a big Hollywood bigshot after the show. useless trivia.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #49
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogijet View Post
This thread is funny and illustrative to an extent of my thoughts on this subject. I have for some time not held a person's use of the English language against him simply because it is not an issue that goes to character. There may be several reasons for an adult's inability to string a few words together correctly to form a sentence, many of which are likely to have been from the formative years and, therefore, outside of his control. Typically, none of these reasons makes him an unworthy/bad person or a fool. Some of the brightest and most successful people I know cannot use English correctly. In addition, none of us is perfect, and I have found that snobbery of any variety almost inevitably results in the snob exposing his dirty drawers and arse in embarrassment. As for Bimmerpost, it is just not that important for the spelling and the grammar in a context such as this to be correct, every time. That said, some spelling and grammatical errors can be distracting, but I simply interpret them and move on. It's not that big a deal. Incidentally, I learned English so the use of a word such as "practice" as a verb is a little distracting as well, but then again, immaterial to the effectiveness of what we're all trying to do here.
Popped in thread, this was first post I see. when I see big block post like this, I read 2 words in and skip.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #50
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Thread is retarded. Move to proper section.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #51
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Kind of meant, a long rambling post that talks down to others, where spelling is good for the most part and yet cant spell the word hes an "authority" on.
Saw it happen on a Corvette forum Im a member where some jerk off was berating another, going on and on about how much of an audiophile(he spelled it correctly) he is yet spelled base numerous times refering to subs. Guy turned out to be a know nothing and was outed.
Just stuck with me. know what you mean though.
true true and understood. btw, i'm jealous of the vette. nice car!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #52
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Ha!
      04-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #53
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post

Silly man!

It was a quote Jethro Bodine made long after he went off camera and the show was off the air.

Anybody who knows Mr. Bodine knows this.......
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I was mocking him. Just like I mocked you.

Um, I think I know what my own intent was when I made the original post.

What's the point, Sparky? Or is it "Eric Partridge the world famous lexographer?"
That was sacrasm, btw. LOL.

Anywhoo, it's getting boring now. It was fun at first, but now you've become strangely nerdy. Like those kids we'd beat up after school.

Me like RagingClue better:

Now dat be funny.

"I do derision every time I do my ciphering" --Jethro Bodine, 1978.
No, you were not. Mocking involves imitating in a scornful manner. You were not imitating him. You corrected his grammar. It was an ironic, indirect insult. In correcting his grammar, you implicitly pointed out the irony in his post. As Eric said, sarcasm is more direct, in that you address the problem directly (i.e. "I'm so glad we're having our grammar corrected by such a world-class grammarian.").

That thing about Eric Partridge was sarcasm, good job. You were mocking my use of his quote by calling him "world famous." Ironically (because you would not expect the sarcastic exaggeration to wind up being true), he kind of is famous.

Again, I'll ignore the ad hominem, unless you actually think calling me nerdy really helps your argument somehow.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #55
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92addict View Post
Who did? Also, it looks like you attempted to write "Banned", but it says "Bamned" under your username. If you want to go tit for tat!

Nice car by the way!
Banned is a censored word.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #56
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel91 View Post
No, you were not. Mocking involves imitating in a scornful manner. You were not imitating him. You corrected his grammar. It was an ironic, indirect insult. In correcting his grammar, you implicitly pointed out the irony in his post. As Eric said, sarcasm is more direct, in that you address the problem directly (i.e. "I'm so glad we're having our grammar corrected by such a world-class grammarian.").

That thing about Eric Partridge was sarcasm, good job. You were mocking my use of his quote by calling him "world famous." Ironically (because you would not expect the sarcastic exaggeration to wind up being true), he kind of is famous.

Again, I'll ignore the ad hominem, unless you actually think calling me nerdy really helps your argument somehow.
Let it go already.

This is getting a bit too weird for my blood......
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #57
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I agree and I started this thread. Didn't think it was going to take such a weird twist.

*turns around and walks away...slowly*
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #58
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Let it go already.

This is getting a bit too weird for my blood......
Ha, you're the one dishing out the insults and I'm the one who needs to let it go. It was originally intended to be a "haha gotcha," sorta thing, but someone had to respond arrogantly and refused to own up to his mistake (we all make them).

Also, what does "too weird for my blood" mean? I've never heard that expression before (honest question).
Appreciate 0