BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Canon T4i vs. Nikon D3200 vs. Sony A65

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the photography side of the forum. Here's a little about me...I'm coming from a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot S95. I love photography and been taking pictures for years. Last summer I toured 7 European cities, in which I had the point-and-shoot camera with me and I regretted not spending the extra money to get a DSLR camera. Well next summer I'm doing the same thing and I'm definitely not going to miss my opportunity again; but for that, I'm going to need your help guys. I'm looking for a good camera that I will be able to use for the the next 3+ years and hopefully not have to upgrade. I'm using the camera for pictures of landscapes, family, friends, etc.

I'm new to DSLRs and i've had my eye on the Canon T4i, which was released this summer. I love the camera and it feels great in my hands. The touch screen interface is also useful, as it can really help with changing settings on-the-go. The higher ISO range is also a plus. The Nikon D3200 and the Sony A65 both have 24 megapixels. I can see the difference between the photos of the 2 cameras and the 18 megapixel Canon T4i. I'm not thinking about doing video recording at any point in the future, but it could be a possibility.

I've used the cameras in the store, watched youtube video reviews, talked to sales people read reviews from bestbuy.com, cannon.com, nikon.com and sony.com. But I need help finding one that justifies my needs. My price range is up to $1000, I can slightly go over if I need to. Sorry if I'm being a little impossible here.

Any help is appreciated, Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
canon or nikon for the lens range.

then flip a coin, when its in the air you will know what you are hoping for
      08-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
canon or nikon for the lens range.

lol that's actually a really good idea :P
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
08carreragt
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330

I'd consider the size of the camera and lenses as well. If you're not inclined to pursue photography further by buying multiple lenses and accessories, I'd look into the Sony NEX series because of its much smaller size. Also, I've occasionally been troubled by museums, concerts, and the like on bringing in my DSLR kit because it's considered "professional." Of course, you still have an S95 for when you're not sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
I lol'ed!

At this point I would say compare the features of the two bodies you're looking at and try to identify those that will help your shots the most.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

This might help you...

CANON REBEL T4i VS NIKON D3200

CANON REBEL T4i VS SONY SLT A65

NIKON D3200 VS SONY SLT A65

But, I would have to agree with panicos' suggestion of flipping a coin.
      08-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post
I love the camera and it feels great in my hands.
Then buy the Canon. Between the Canon and the Nikon, there is no wrong choice. Their camera body ergonomics are different, and you just have to see what you prefer. Personally, I'm a Nikon shooter because I like their control scheme and body designs better. But if the Canon works for you, go for it.

I just picked up a D3200 as a travel/backup body and I really like it. The online reviews complain that it lacks "features" like exposure bracketing or compatibility with old lenses, but I tend not to use fancy/automatic features or modes. It's super small and light and perfect for travel.

Also, don't worry about the megapixel count. All the cameras you list have plenty of pixels for cropping and printing to 8x10 or bigger. Don't let the "pixel peeper" nuts on the forums worry you.

Quote:
The touch screen interface is also useful, as it can really help with changing settings on-the-go.
Personally, I'm not crazy about touchscreen controls. The location of the buttons can change (must look at screen to control) and there is no physical feedback when you hit the button. There's a reason why all of the pro bodies have tons of dedicated physical buttons for almost every control.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Canon and Nikon both make great SLR's with tons of lens options, but you don't buy an SLR the same way you buy a point and shoot. You're picking a system- not a camera. The T5i will come out in a year, but lenses have a MUCH longer service life, and you'll probably spend more on them than the camera. Pick out what lenses you want, then look at the cost and performance of the Canon and Nikon equivelents.

That said, with your S95, you're already pretty familiar with the Canon control scheme so that'll reduce the learning curve a little.

I was in the same situation a few years ago and I picked Canon. A lot of it was based on their excellent 10-22 wide-angle lens, which is like 500. The nearest Nikon equivelent was something like $1200 if I recall. I also got a 70-300is- another lens i highly recommend. For walk around, I got a Sigma 17-70. It's f2.8, but there's a lot better stuff out now. I should've spent more on my walk-around lens.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not crazy about touchscreen controls. The location of the buttons can change (must look at screen to control) and there is no physical feedback when you hit the button. There's a reason why all of the pro bodies have tons of dedicated physical buttons for almost every control.
All functions on the T4i are also available by button control- the touchscreen is just an alternative option, but you never have to use it.

Last edited by carve; 08-22-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Canon and Nikon both make great SLR's with tons of lens options, but you don't buy an SLR the same way you buy a point and shoot. You're picking a system- not a camera. The T5i will come out in a year, but lenses have a MUCH longer service life, and you'll probably spend more on them than the camera. Pick out what lenses you want, then look at the cost and performance of the Canon and Nikon equivelents.

Sony does some great stuff, but you are completely limited by their lacking accessories ie. lenses which are the most important thing.

for all it matters right now, buy a t1i and get some really good lenses and you will be taking pictures nearly the same quality as some of the higher end models if you can get your skills up. but the fact that you have the good lenses is where the $ is. Again, between Nikon and Canon, it's a bit of a roll of the dice. Hold both in your hands and see what feels more natural to you. Just remember, if you're walking around all day with one of these bodies, it has to be comfortable and make you want to use it. If you aren't comfortable, you won't be encouraged to use it.

The touch screen idea and the flip screen idea are both fairly new to DSLR bodies, which have been around forever, so to use them as a selling point isn't really worth the time in my opinion. Once you have all your favourite settings programmed, you'll almost never use those extra menus anymore, so they aren't necessary.

The flip screen is handy if you're going to be doing a lot of video, but if you have no video plans, don't even look at the flip. Unless you take a lot of pictures from ground level and don't want to get on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
hentai
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

actually I will go for Nikon D3200 with their new CMOS sensor. I have an D5100 and it takes really good quality picture.
Appreciate 0