BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
This would be a 3 way ohlins setup. I need to get all of the details. I have no skin in the game so I have no reason to defend this option. Rather I am relatively naïve in this arena and not sure if having someone who has raced cars and built race cars, setup a system which he can also setup and tune is valuable vs myself trying to figure it out.

I don't believe the ohlins is at all bad quality. It may be an issue of over paying for performance that acould be had elsewhere.

Was just asking. Thanks so much for the feedback
So it's not the PSI Raceline Ohlins suspension because it's only a 2-way setup. I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression - Ohlins TTX 3-way dampers are phenomenal! The only downside is more frequent rebuilds compared to other high-end race dampers. Performance wise, you certainly wouldn't be making a mistake
I'm curious who is telling you the Ohlins need more frequent rebuilds? I think it's the exact opposite.

I have PSI Raceline's 2-way kit and so far I love it. I don't have experience with MCS so I can't directly compare. I went with PSI's Kit because I ordered JRZ and after 6 weeks of waiting, still didn't have my suspension. PSI has all of the Ohlins parts in stock and I had my suspension within a week. Great service. Furthermore, when they do need rebuilding, I'm sending them to PSI here in the US versus overseas for some of the competition.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 10-21-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      10-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #24
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I?m curious who is telling you the Ohlins need more frequent rebuilds? I think it?s the exact opposite.

I have PSI Raceline?s 2-way kit and so far I love it. I don?t have experience with MCS so I can?t directly compare. I went with PSI?s Kit because I ordered JRZ and after 6 weeks of waiting, still didn?t have my suspension. PSI has all of the Ohlins parts in stock and I had my suspension with a week. Great service. Furthermore, when they do need rebuilding, I?m sending them to PSI here in the US versus overseas for some of the competition.
Multiple sources including Ohlins dealers and a few individual owners that TTX dampers require frequent rebuilds. Although they're a very different damper and developed primarily for the street, the Ohlins DFV dampers on my R56 Mini Cooper needed to be rebuilt < 15k street miles vs. the 30-40k estimated rebuild interval.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
I?m curious who is telling you the Ohlins need more frequent rebuilds? I think it?s the exact opposite.

I have PSI Raceline?s 2-way kit and so far I love it. I don?t have experience with MCS so I can?t directly compare. I went with PSI?s Kit because I ordered JRZ and after 6 weeks of waiting, still didn?t have my suspension. PSI has all of the Ohlins parts in stock and I had my suspension with a week. Great service. Furthermore, when they do need rebuilding, I?m sending them to PSI here in the US versus overseas for some of the competition.
Multiple sources including Ohlins dealers and a few individual owners that TTX dampers require frequent rebuilds. Although they're a very different damper and developed primarily for the street, the Ohlins DFV dampers on my R56 Mini Cooper needed to be rebuilt < 15k street miles vs. the 30-40k estimated rebuild interval.
I have been told the opposite by multiple Ohlins dealers. I guess time will tell with my kit!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #26
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
How obvious are the signs that a service/rebuild is needed?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #27
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have been told the opposite by multiple Ohlins dealers. I guess time will tell with my kit!
I agree. My ttx are the most robust shocks I have ever owned.
I had them serviced at 40k miles because I was doing other bushings on the car. Psi told me they were in perfect condition and could have gone much much longer.

One of the best features of the ohlins is that I haven't had to remove them at all for troubleshooting, rattling, warranty, etc. While the high end shock companies have excellent customer service and warranties, not having to deal with the additional labor and downtime is important to me.
Appreciate 1
ayao634.50
      10-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #28
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Isn't interesting that you get mixed info from Ohlins dealers? I did talk to PSI when they originally released this kit and at that time they didn't recommend using their e92 M3 Raceline setup on the street. However, I believe they were being "conservative" at first because I know street use is now ok.

I hope you kit gives you trouble-free miles for at least 50k miles!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
How obvious are the signs that a service/rebuild is needed?
It's pretty obvious. As a test set one damper to its softest setting and the other three at a "track" setting - this will give you an idea of what a "blown" damper will feel like. Also, in my case, adjusting damping made no change.
Appreciate 1
ayao634.50
      10-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I agree. My ttx are the most robust shocks I have ever owned.
I had them serviced at 40k miles because I was doing other bushings on the car. Psi told me they were in perfect condition and could have gone much much longer.

One of the best features of the ohlins is that I haven't had to remove them at all for troubleshooting, rattling, warranty, etc. While the high end shock companies have excellent customer service and warranties, not having to deal with the additional labor and downtime is important to me.
That's awesome! I remember the trouble you had with the Moton SS dampers.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #31
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Well after seeing example after example of ttx used in virtually every racing class I have in and ordered 46ttx front 3 way and 36 inline ttc 3 way true coil rear. A couple grand over mcs 3 way bit I think I'll enjoy them
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      10-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #32
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Well after seeing example after example of ttx used in virtually every racing class I have in and ordered 46ttx front 3 way and 36 inline ttc 3 way true coil rear. A couple grand over mcs 3 way bit I think I'll enjoy them
Congrats, will be an epic setup! Please post some pictures when you get them in.
      10-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I currently have the PSI ohlins raceline for over a year now, both the front strut and ttx rear shock have many adjustments. I do a lot of track and they can handle a wide range of springs. No re-valving needed. I live close to Sonoma and had my shocks in for a rebuild just recently. I purchased mine used from a member after street use for 7 months. So they are about close two years old. Psi first puts them in the dyno to check the status. I have a dyno sheet showing they were working perfectly and showing minimal drag. I was still hesitant and asked go ahead with the rebuild, even after they advised me that it was not needed. They took pictures of the shock oil and it still looked fresh. I added a boot cover to my front strut to help keep it clean. I truly don't think re-valving with another shop is needed. Since you will have to spec the spring rates with PSI and they will confirm with the dyno that it will work well on those spring rates. Dont mind my drilled rotors, it was a poor choice mainly because I found them half off the price.
The front boot can be purchased from eibach for $25.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4269/...18a12530_z.jpg[/img]BBK (1) by

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4271/...d2d26ab5_b.jpg[/img]IMG_0147_zpsyru5rknt by

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4492/...78a4abe3_z.jpg[/img]IMG_0710 by
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 5
slicer2736.00
ayao634.50
6ixSpd6011.50
buddalun679.00
      10-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #34
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wht spring rates and type you doing?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #35
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Check out the Track section. Someone REALLY likes the Bilstein Clubsports.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #36
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ohlins ttx 46 and ttx 36 arriving Monday. 550 front spring rate and 500 rear (true coilover)

Pretty excited. These things are in my view out of this world and hopefully will really turn the m3 into an all out race car (as much as 3600 pounds can be!)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #37
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Ohlins ttx 46 and ttx 36 arriving Monday. 550 front spring rate and 500 rear (true coilover)

Pretty excited. These things are in my view out of this world and hopefully will really turn the m3 into an all out race car (as much as 3600 pounds can be!)
Congratulations. Ohlins make suspension for the highest levels of motorsport globally and probably produce the best dampers in the world.

A funny story from the Autosport Internation show at Birmingham NEC a few years ago from one of their senior consultants..............Ohlins never provide their products free of charge or in the form of sponsorship. Several championship winning (not including single-seaters) race cars from around world, carried sponsorship of other well know suspension manufacturers but actually had Ohlins fitted.
Appreciate 0