BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

New Problem -- Total Loss of Power

As some of you may have read, I am having a stalling issue with the car. It has happened three times so far. Each time when attempting to accelerate from a stop in a manual mode. the car would just die after going a few feet.

Well........new problem!

I was at a light awaiting to get on to the freeway. It was a light at the top of the on-ramp, to limit traffic getting on. These lights leave little room for acceleration!

I was in manual mode....the light turned green and I accelerated about medium - medium heavy throttle (otherwise, I would not get up to speed to merge seemlessly). 1st gear was fine, but when it shifted into second, the car just fell flat on its face...like all fuel got cut out. This lasted about 2 seconds. I let off the gas and got back on it a few times, then it "kicked back on" and accelerated normally. Again, this car left me stranded for a few seconds with traffic barreling down my ass! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS CAR?

I am starting to wonder about this car. Maybe I got a lemon? I don't know what the hell is going on but it has to be fixed. This car is going to kill me if it doesn't get worked out. This is the FOURTH time it has "died" and left me hanging out there, at the mercy of other drivers. One of these times, somebody will not be paying attention and hit me.

I love the car, except for this problem. I am going to take it back in next week and let them pour over it. This is totally unacceptable.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

why wait until next week...I would call them right now and have them flat bed it to the dealer...becareful when driving it...I sense you've lost most of your confidence in it also b/c you don't know when its going to happen again...I hope you get it fixed soon

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
This sounds like the overactive DSC in the e46.

I'd try to accellerate briskly to squirt into a hole in traffic. If I spun the wheels even a little, the DSC would cut power, leaving me at the mercy of other drivers for a second until the nannies let me go again.

Do you get the yellow traction control light when this happens or no indication in the dash at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
As some of you may have read, I am having a stalling issue with the car. It has happened three times so far. Each time when attempting to accelerate from a stop in a manual mode. the car would just die after going a few feet.

Well........new problem!

I was at a light awaiting to get on to the freeway. It was a light at the top of the on-ramp, to limit traffic getting on. These lights leave little room for acceleration!

I was in manual mode....the light turned green and I accelerated about medium - medium heavy throttle (otherwise, I would not get up to speed to merge seemlessly). 1st gear was fine, but when it shifted into second, the car just fell flat on its face...like all fuel got cut out. This lasted about 2 seconds. I let off the gas and got back on it a few times, then it "kicked back on" and accelerated normally. Again, this car left me stranded for a few seconds with traffic barreling down my ass! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS CAR?

I am starting to wonder about this car. Maybe I got a lemon? I don't know what the hell is going on but it has to be fixed. This car is going to kill me if it doesn't get worked out. This is the FOURTH time it has "died" and left me hanging out there, at the mercy of other drivers. One of these times, somebody will not be paying attention and hit me.

I love the car, except for this problem. I am going to take it back in next week and let them pour over it. This is totally unacceptable.
The exact same reason BMWNA would not even give me back my 12 hour old E93. Stalled 3 times, and had the infamous transmission warning lights as well.

I was in a little different position, I informed the dealership I was bringing the car back less then 12 hours after I had purchased the car. I told them to hold onto my personal check until I got there.

When I was informed that a software fix would not be out until mid Sept, I ripped up my check in front of them, and said let,s try this again. Hence the 09 that I am currently waiting for.

IMHO totally unacceptable, I would tell them to give you a loaner until they can do the software fix. I would not drive the car for a multitude of reasons. first and foremost your life!

Just my 2 cents

Scott
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post

Well........new problem!

happened to me twice already, only when the car was cold though and the first time after about 4800 miles...hope that this is also related to the screwed up DCT software and will be fixed with the SW update...I am really starting to hate the DCT...
      09-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Tim, it's your car and your life and I wouldn't presume to tell you how to live or drive, but I cringe every time I read one of your posts. You're essentially playing Russian roulette every time you drive it.

I'd flatbed, not drive, that sucker in and not take it back until they fix it. Best case scenario, they can diagnose and fix it. Worst case, you get the clock running on a lemon law claim.

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles with this car. I'm just glad you're still alive to tell us about them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
MADM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

have you checked the connection to the battery. My car is manual but i had the same problem the battery harness was loose.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
It sounds like a clutch problem to me. The transmission software is writen such that If the clutch over heats or loses traction, the computer will cut off the gas. Let me ask you, how often do you put heavy load on the clutch? No I don't mean driving hard and fast. Concentrate on the times that you do a quick launch and times where you are traveling slow but your engine is in the high output rev range. This might have caused your clutch to wear out prematurely. If your symtoms only occurs after high clutch loads, it's definately overheat.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Tim, it's your car and your life and I wouldn't presume to tell you how to live or drive, but I cringe every time I read one of your posts. You're essentially playing Russian roulette every time you drive it.

I'd flatbed, not drive, that sucker in and not take it back until they fix it. Best case scenario, they can diagnose and fix it. Worst case, you get the clock running on a lemon law claim.

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles with this car. I'm just glad you're still alive to tell us about them.
+1, Tim you have got to take that car in and tell them you are not taking it back till they fix and have them put you in a loaner (preferably something with some power, i.e., a 335i) and let them deal with it. Stop putting your life at risk, this is getting absurd.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take it in and don't risk your life.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Crops
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 ZCP DCT

Tim, we NEED you to have your car towed in TODAY! Please post here by the end of the day with some confirming evidence that you have done so.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
maybe u were accelerating harder than u think that when u shifted it caused wheel spin and DSC kicked in??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
MADM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

i am so happy i didn't get dct.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
+1, Tim you have got to take that car in and tell them you are not taking it back till they fix and have them put you in a loaner (preferably something with some power, i.e., a 335i) and let them deal with it. Stop putting your life at risk, this is getting absurd.
The problem with that is the dealer will not be able to replicate the problem. It is an intermittent problem so it will be hard for them to test any "fix" to make sure it's 100% reliable.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
The problem with that is the dealer will not be able to replicate the problem. It is an intermittent problem so it will be hard for them to test any "fix" to make sure it's 100% reliable.
Good morning, There is no need to replicate the problem.
BMWNA is quite aware of the problem, and therefore is coming out with a software fix sometime later this month.

After talking to the new car sales manager this morning, I had asked if my new 09 will have to have a re-flash. His answer was, that to the best of his knowledge only the cars manufactured during a certain time frame will be subject to a re-flash.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Did this happen when you stepped on the accelerator as the car was doing an "automatic" downshift in manual mode? I had something similar happen only once when doing a red light "California stop" but I think it was more of a stall -- memory is a bit fuzzy.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
BMWNA is quite aware of the problem, and therefore is coming out with a software fix sometime later this month.

After talking to the new car sales manager this morning, I had asked if my new 09 will have to have a re-flash. His answer was, that to the best of his knowledge only the cars manufactured during a certain time frame will be subject to a re-flash.
Even if BMW is aware of it, there is no way for the dealer to reliably test if the problem is fixed after the flash is done. So from there it becomes trial and error. Unfortunate situation for the owner since the possibility of the problem coming back will always be in the back of his mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Even if BMW is aware of it, there is no way for the dealer to reliably test if the problem is fixed after the flash is done. So from there it becomes trial and error. Unfortunate situation for the owner since the possibility of the problem coming back will always be in the back of his mind.
agreed! Even with my new car it will be in the back of my mind!

Scott
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Wow, man... I feel bad for you. I agree with everyone here who've said you should have the car towed to the dealer. You really shouldn't risk another stall in traffic. Must be VERY frustrating.

I've got close to 3000 miles on my M-DCT equipped E93 now, and have had absolutely no trouble whatsoever with the car or the transmission. The M-DCT stalling issue is certainly not chronic, so the fact that you're experiencing it so frequently points to a major problem with your car -- it can't simply be the software, since we're probably running the same version. Have the damned thing towed to your dealer and make them sort it out!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

how many miles do you have on her?? Damn, I would be PISSED if I spent so much only to have it happen soon after the purchase.......I hope you didn't get a lemon
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSm3 View Post
i am so happy i didn't get dct.
+ 1
      09-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post

Captain, do you (or your dealer contact) know for certain that this software flash will specifically address the problems that GT3 Tim is having? It would be nice to have some assurance on that. I am considering M-DCT but with stories like Tim's, it does scare me a bit. I sure hope that these issues as well as the other issues reported here such as the car switching to random gears and the threshold braking issue will all be addressed.
Appreciate 0