BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

04-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #45
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
^ Pot, meet kettle.

I'll ask my friend who just ditched his Galaxy S3 and got an iPhone 5...
I tried a Galaxy S3. Been an iPhone user since day one. Like the OP I was bored, and thought the GS3 offered more.

Long story short I returned the GS3 within 2 weeks and got a iPhone 5. Maybe on paper its not the most advanced phone, but it's certainly the easiest to own, and does 99% of what most people need with ease.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #46
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Personally I can see why OP and others feel as if iOS is "boring" or that Apple "lacks innovation." Quite simply, they want something new in terms of experience, and I can actually empathize with what they're feeling.

iOS has been relatively the same ever since it first came out in 2007. However, it's pretty much the most stable mobile OS/ecosystem compared to Android or Windows. Why would Apple attempt to fix something that is not broken? iOS and Mac OSX is highly integrated (and being highly invested in this system myself), the experience of it all makes everything seem so easy and streamlined I can't imagine getting myself out of it.

I assume OP wants to tinker with his phone, get more out of it, or whatever it may be. If that's the case, Android would be the only way to go. Either that, or jailbreak your iPhone because there is no other way of getting around that experience.

Does that make the iPhone a bad phone? No. It's still the best in terms of hardware and software. Does it also mean Apple is not being "innovative?" Definitely not. Apple pretty much invented the modern day smartphone with its touch interface. Apple pretty much created and solidified a tablet market that didn't exist 3 years ago. Apple is the company that is innovating. Everyone else is either playing catch up or adding features that are pretty much not necessary (Samsung ahem).

To OP, get the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One. Both are beautiful phones. I personally would never leave iOS but I can definitely see the appeal of those two high end phones since they are really really sexy pieces of hardware.

If you have the luxury, go to Android and wait until iOS 7 comes out. Jony Ive is the head of the Interface design as well so I'm sure we'll be seeing an entirely new software design language coming out of Apple in a few months.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #47
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I'm either going to get the HTC One or the Sony Xperia Z. My contract isnt up for another month so I can wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #48
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm still waiting to hear what is new an innovative on the android side.

Bigger screens and gimmicks like more megapixels? I agree the iphone is boring, but I think the phone market in general is boring. Everyone is making evolutionary changes. There hasn't been anything revolutionary since the first iphone.

It's like the PC market. For the longest time all we got was more GHz more RAM who cares. I know people that would put 16GB on their machines and not really notice much difference. Then along came SSD and IMO changed the game.

The only reason you really want an android over an iphone is just for the sake of novelty. The same way people get the itch for a new car even though there is nothing wrong with their car and the new car probably wont be much better, but its different.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #49
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm still waiting to hear what is new an innovative on the android side.

Bigger screens and gimmicks like more megapixels? I agree the iphone is boring, but I think the phone market in general is boring. Everyone is making evolutionary changes. There hasn't been anything revolutionary since the first iphone.

It's like the PC market. For the longest time all we got was more GHz more RAM who cares. I know people that would put 16GB on their machines and not really notice much difference. Then along came SSD and IMO changed the game.

The only reason you really want an android over an iphone is just for the sake of novelty. The same way people get the itch for a new car even though there is nothing wrong with their car and the new car probably wont be much better, but its different.
my sentiments exactly. its a bloody phone. it makes calls. it surfs the web. it receives email and messages. what more could you possibly want or need out of it? and how is any other phone gonna do things differently?

i seriously don't understand what people need that is "innovative" or "revolutionary." different is not synonymous to innovation. people need to realize this.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #50
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
my sentiments exactly. its a bloody phone. it makes calls. it surfs the web. it receives email and messages. what more could you possibly want or need out of it? and how is any other phone gonna do things differently?

i seriously don't understand what people need that is "innovative" or "revolutionary." different is not synonymous to innovation. people need to realize this.
Not to mention that nearly every innovation in the modern cell phone was driven by Apple through the iPhone. Someone even mentioned something about a metal frame etc... what company do you have to thank for that?

Call me crazy, but i like simple devices that work.
      04-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Not to mention that nearly every innovation in the modern cell phone was driven by Apple through the iPhone. Someone even mentioned something about a metal frame etc... what company do you have to thank for that?

Call me crazy, but i like simple devices that work.
So you're saying android phones don't work?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #52
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Some of you guys said that Apple invented this and that, props to you. I agree with what you guys are saying. You gotta give credit where it is due. However, in order to stay competitive you must continue to innovate. Otherwise sooner or later the competition will catch up and surpass you.

Take Ford, for example. Just because they invented the first automobiles and were the first to invent a bunch of stuff doesn't mean they will always be on top (and they haven't been for a long time). I'm not saying that Apple needs to fix something that isn't broken. It's more like they need to improve on something that's good to make it even better. Just like cars, we don't have to make them faster or more technologically advanced but we do. Why? Because of competition!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
So you're saying android phones don't work?
No at all. I just mean that you call the iphone boring and simple and I happen to like simple as long as it works, which the iphone does. That doesn't make me a fanboy as you guys say.

Free market and competition is great. I'm glad Android is around just as Android users should be glad that the iPhone is around.
      04-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #54
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some of you guys said that Apple invented this and that, props to you. I agree with what you guys are saying. You gotta give credit where it is due. However, in order to stay competitive you must continue to innovate. Otherwise sooner or later the competition will catch up and surpass you.

Take Ford, for example. Just because they invented the first automobiles and were the first to invent a bunch of stuff doesn't mean they will always be on top (and they haven't been for a long time). I'm not saying that Apple needs to fix something that isn't broken. It's more like they need to improve on something that's good to make it even better. Just like cars, we don't have to make them faster or more technologically advanced but we do. Why? Because of competition!
Brush up on your history bro. Ford is notable for the assembly line which made early autos available to the masses due to the cost of production shrinking. And domestically speaking, they are on top. They did NOT invent the automobile.

I get the feeling that you haven't a clue as to what innovation is. Ford's legacy is innovation. What they did changed the world. Your life, should you have been alive in that time would not have been the same. Were there smart phones before the iPhone? Yes. But after the iPhone was released they have never been the same. As said before, nearly everything you value in a smartphone, android or otherwise can likely be traced back to apple & the iphone.

Would i want to drive a mustang over my M3? No, but i owe much of what my M3 is not only to ford, but the mustang as well.
      04-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #55
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Brush up on your history bro. Ford is notable for the assembly line which made early autos available to the masses due to the cost of production shrinking. And domestically speaking, they are on top. They did NOT invent the automobile.

I get the feeling that you haven't a clue as to what innovation is. Ford's legacy is innovation. What they did changed the world. Your life, should you have been alive in that time would not have been the same. Were there smart phones before the iPhone? Yes. But after the iPhone was released they have never been the same. As said before, nearly everything you value in a smartphone, android or otherwise can likely be traced back to apple & the iphone.

Would i want to drive a mustang over my M3? No, but i owe much of what my M3 is not only to ford, but the mustang as well.
Yeah you're right. I knew that Ford wasn't the first person to invent the automobile, I was trying to say something else but rushed to finish it. Anyhow, while the iphone revolutionized the phone industry, it is now lacking innovation. What have they innovate in the last few years really? All I'm saying is if Apple is still top dog and has been innovating and the competition simply can't keep up, its stock prices wouldn't be as low as they are now.

I too like the iphone because it is simple to use. However, IMO Apple is getting cocky and thus don't want to do much. That's something I don't want to buy into.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #56
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

^ i had an htc 3125 and a palm treo before the iphone. the iphone did innovate a lot, but i think more importantly, they made smartphones popular. when i had the htc and treo, it was basically pocket-protector crowd gear.

apple was an innovative company with steve jobs. now, it's a luxury brand (great build quality, flashy stores, great customer service, just no more innovation). my mac pro desktop is rounding 7 years and still flawless. i've never continuously used a pc for that long without something breaking or being left behind by a new release of windows.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #57
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah i think it's now relying on solely on its name. It should never stop innovating.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #58
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you're right. I knew that Ford wasn't the first person to invent the automobile, I was trying to say something else but rushed to finish it. Anyhow, while the iphone revolutionized the phone industry, it is now lacking innovation. What have they innovate in the last few years really? All I'm saying is if Apple is still top dog and has been innovating and the competition simply can't keep up, its stock prices wouldn't be as low as they are now.

I too like the iphone because it is simple to use. However, IMO Apple is getting cocky and thus don't want to do much. That's something I don't want to buy into.
Again, i'm not cracking on android phones or am i saying that the iphone is the best. What i and others are refuting is your comments about innovation. There is a big difference between innovation and improvement. The idea and execution of the iphone platform was innovation. Everything since this has been improvement. We're saying that like apple, android OS has only improved over the last several years, not innovated. There has not been an industry changing innovation since the iphone. The screens for instance are not innovation. Either bigger, recognizing more gestures or more pixel saturation, it's just improvement, not innovation.

Innovation isn't something that happens in the technology industry very often. It's advancing so quickly that many manufactures are focused on making what IS now, better tomorrow.

It appears that mind set is consumer driven. You're view point is a perfect example. Despite a lack of real innovation you perceive many different models and changes in looks and feel as innovation when it's just improvements.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 04-10-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #59
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Improvements are part of innovation. Other companies are introducing new features as well as improving on existing ones. Apple has not introduced anything new. When ios 6 came out i was showing my friend (who has a gs3) a feature that i thought was cool (and new to me). He then said "yeah i had that about 8 months ago...pretty pathetic. I just think that Apple like to keep people in the dark. It's to the point that many consumers don't even know what they could have.

Anyhow, if Apple comes out with something new i will definitely consider it. If it's just going to be an improved version of the 5 i'm jumping ship.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #60
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm still waiting to hear what these innovative android features are?

I'm still hearing you want to switch just for the sake of switching and are trying to somehow justify this decision by claiming android is being innovative. If you want an android just because you're bored of the iphone that's a valid enough reason to me, no need to try to justify it. I usually upgrade my iphone when a major update comes out (none S) even though there is no logical reason to do so. The new features are usually not worth upgrading for and I probably wont even use most of them, but I get bored so I upgrade anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #61
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I want my phone to be stable, smooth, make calls, run a few apps here there and surf the web. iPhone does that masterfully, looks and feels amazing. Quality is outstanding and I have yet to see another phone that does all that. Call me a fanboy but I like quality built products.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #62
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Nokia 3310, great phone and cheap

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear what these innovative android features are?
Are you kidding me?! It has a great buggy os, its always slow, and Java is just beyond amazing lol

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #63
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

a prepaid iphone 3gs is a comfortable compromise here... spending about $15/month, wifi internet only (which is available almost anywhere i'd actually pull out the phone to browse the web). at home i have google voice if i want to chat. so $15/month total for all phone bills, i think i'm making out pretty well.

not hating on anyone who has a ~$100/month smartphone plan, i used to also, just realized it's not necessary. if anything i'll get more tv channels or faster internet (and i'm even too cheap for that lol)

haven't had a real phone plan in over a year, and it's been fine. sometimes you think you see a lifeline, but then it's gone and you realize... meh

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 04-11-2013 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #64
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear what these innovative android features are? .
First, for the most part most of the iphone's features have been available on other phones way before Apple decided to put them on theirs. Take the 4S, for example. It's as if they are now playing catch up with the competition rather than the other way around like it used to be.

Features like dual video calling, recording sound with images, Blinkfeed, waterproofness of the Xperia Z, dual screens for multi-tasking, etc. One could argue that he doesn't need all of those features. But wouldn't it be better to have and not need it than to want it and don't have it? In addition, doesn't it feel nice knowing that the company is actually innovating and improving to provide you with the latest and greatest? Think about it, what did Apple really change in the iPhone 5? It was already getting left behind by phones such as the Samsung GS3. Now with a bunch of companies coming out with even better flagship phones, iPhone seems to be more and more outdated.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #65
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BlackBerry Z10 man that's all you need
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #66
954Stealth
Brigadier General