BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-31-2009, 05:05 AM   #199
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I'm getting my car back from the dealer today with the new tranny installed and I'll post my review of how it feels in a few days once I've broken it in. Hopefully this solves the problem, or else back to the dealer my car will go.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #200
earlyapex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

2008 M3 sedan with UUC SSK, same problem when trying to shift quickly. I've been racing for 10 years; this car has a slow second gear synchro - period.

Probably should double clutch 1/2 shift.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #201
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
I'm gonna install a ssk Saturday and see if this still happens. I'll keep yall updated.
More to the point, won't you also have to go through the hassle of pulling this back out before trying to start any warranty claim?

Agreed that the shifter isn't going to improve the gear synchros.....

Good luck!
      08-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #202
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

I've been experimenting and I find that the briefest pause will not induce a grind. It doesn't thrill me to have to baby the shift but then again, I'm not sure I want a dealer tearing the car apart over this either. I'll wait and see whether other transplants fix it or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #203
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
More to the point, won't you also have to go through the hassle of pulling this back out before trying to start any warranty claim?

Good luck!
Yeah you're right but my buddy is a master tech over at the bmw dealership and I'm going to show my SA the problem first. (if I can reproduce it) If not, I'll just installed the ssk and be happy with it!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #204
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Correct, but a better tranny fluid should, at least according to Redline. Has anybody tried their oil??? Definitely worth a shot IMO. According to Redline, their best alternative is 'D4ATF', not 'MTL'. Here's what he said:

'The viscosity of the MTF-LT-2 (BMW's oil) is 37.7cSt @ 40°C and 7.4cSt @ 100°C, technically a 70W80. As you can see very close in viscosity and characteristics to the D4ATF, a 70W-80 GL-4.

An SAE 70W-80 gear oil, previously referred to also as a 75W-80 is a broad viscosity range, both the MTL and the D4ATF will satisfy the requirements. It then comes down to which most closely matches the actual viscosity and characteristics of the original, obviously the D4ATF in this instance. As I mentioned previously the MTL can be used and certainly is used in some of these late model BMW transmissions with good results, it is just a higher viscosity. It is used in the previous "no label" transmissions and before that in the earlier BMW transmissions where an 80W GL-4 gear oil is called for and the primary basis for the reference.'

For those having problems, it might be worth a try IMO. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #205
earlyapex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheRacer View Post
I've been experimenting and I find that the briefest pause will not induce a grind. It doesn't thrill me to have to baby the shift but then again, I'm not sure I want a dealer tearing the car apart over this either. I'll wait and see whether other transplants fix it or not.
yup, just a quick breath for a half a heartbeat and you don't get the grind. You basically just have to consciously think about not quite a speedshift and you are OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #206
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyapex View Post
yup, just a quick breath for a half a heartbeat and you don't get the grind. You basically just have to consciously think about not quite a speedshift and you are OK.
Yup. Same here on an 09. It definitely has something to do with a slow second gear syncro.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #207
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I'm getting my car back from the dealer today with the new tranny installed and I'll post my review of how it feels in a few days once I've broken it in. Hopefully this solves the problem, or else back to the dealer my car will go.
Any updates on the shifting with the new tranny installed. I am beginning to get frustrated enough to pull the the SSK and bring the car in. I have already swapped the fluid and it still did not fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #208
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
I have already swapped the fluid and it still did not fix the issue.
Sorry to hear that, but could you please elaborate a little?
What kind of fluid (and specs) did you use? What changes did you feel? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #209
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Sorry to hear that, but could you please elaborate a little?
What kind of fluid (and specs) did you use? What changes did you feel?
Thx.
I will ask the shop that put it in, as he didnt seem to want to divulge the secret. I am not sure what the brand is, but he did mention D4 if that means anything. He also put in some sort of friction modifier. The entire gearbox is alot smoother, but it still does not solve the 1-2 shift. Better yes, but not solved. On a side note the Lifetime BMW fluid is a joke as mine had 12,000 miles on it and looked horrible.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #210
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
On a side note the Lifetime BMW fluid is a joke as mine had 12,000 miles on it and looked horrible.
I thought the lifetime fluid is for DCTs. 6MTs are supposed to change tranny fluid (don't ask me when though).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #211
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

The new tranny shifts great with no grind after having driven it 2000km. Mind you, I still pause a quick second between shifts but it hasn't grinded at all. I also installed the UUC SSK w/ DSSR and the shifts are a lot faster than before.

I wouldn't bring the car in with the non OEM fluid as I know for a fact that BMW will not warranty the tranny if has non OEM fluid in it.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #212
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
he did mention D4 if that means anything. He also put in some sort of friction modifier. The entire gearbox is alot smoother, but it still does not solve the 1-2 shift. Better yes, but not solved. On a side note the Lifetime BMW fluid is a joke as mine had 12,000 miles on it and looked horrible.
Probably Redline D4ATF, which is the correct fluid for our M3, but it doesn't need any 'friction modifiers'; wonder if it didn't improve the 1-2 shift because of that. And no, there's no such thing as 'lifetime fluid' indeed... unless you want a short 'lifetime' . And yes, BMW recommends changing both tranny and diff fluids for the 6MT every 3rd oil change, which equates to approx. every 30K miles.

Finally, since BMW pays for service, they can probably demand OEM fluids, as MMorish said, so I'd follow his advice if you still plan to take it in. Oh, and I wouldn't consider a 1-2 grind a defect if it only happens when shifting gears very quickly. It's a quirk rather than a defect, and even a new tranny will probably still have the trait unless something changed internally, which you should be able to verify. Good luck man, and please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #213
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Some of us where having the same 1st > 2nd grind at high RPM problem on ZPOST with our Z4-///M's until MVF4Rrider shared the secret in THIS thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Before I departed Germany in early June of this year, I inquired about the grind and was told it's all shifting technique. They told me to hold the gear shift with firm pressure to the left as you pull the lever into 2nd (keep the left pressure all the way through the shift). I haven't had a grind since and I can shift at high rpms at will. CDV has nothing to do with it.
Although we have different transmissions I am willing to bet it will fix your problems too.

By making this minor change to my driving style, when I want to I can now shift at the redline with confidence.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #214
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Also even if you are not changing from 1st > 2nd gear at high RPM, if you just apply the firm pressure to the left of the gear stick all the way through the shift you will feel how much smoother the shifting action is.

Try it and see.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #215
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Funny thing happened, I pulled out the car for the spring a few weeks back and I got a grind from 1st to 2nd gear, only this time at a low RPM... say 3k or so. I got it twice in 2 weeks. I figured it could be me being lazy with the clutch after driving an auto all winter or maybe the tranny wasn't warmed up enough. I don't know. Either way, it was at low RPM and both grinds were very quick.

Also, I've been applying a bit more pressure to the left of the shifter when doing a 1st to 2nd shift and it seems to be a bit smoother.

I know these tranny's are strong and have CF synchros, but come on BMW, fix this!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #216
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Some of us where having the same 1st > 2nd grind at high RPM problem on ZPOST with our Z4-///M's until MVF4Rrider shared the secret in THIS thread..

Although we have different transmissions I am willing to bet it will fix your problems too.

By making this minor change to my driving style, when I want to I can now shift at the redline with confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Also even if you are not changing from 1st > 2nd gear at high RPM, if you just apply the firm pressure to the left of the gear stick all the way through the shift you will feel how much smoother the shifting action is.

Try it and see.
I get the 1-2 grind every now and then. It's not too bad, and I really think that I'm getting over-anxious when pushing my M3 to redline when shifting to that 2nd gear. Plus the shifting from 1st to 2nd can be a bit 'delayed'. I feel the best solution is for the driver to adapt, and make up for the weakness in the shifting characteristic of the M3, and many other vehicles out there.

I'll take MVF4Rrider's advice on applying more pressure to the left when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #217
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I can shift as fast as I like with absolutely NO, NONE, Zippo, grind! No hesitation and can chirp into second without any drama. Although I did have the grind in my Mcoupe and hated it.
      11-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #218
Jscopus
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Have an '08 M3 092 and have noticed 1st-2nd under aggressive acceleration is very notchy. Occasional grind but it goes in. Have been driving MT's for 25+ years including 911, 046 M3 so I am pretty confident I know how to shift. My daughter's boyfriend just picked up a beautiful white/cinnamon 046 M3 with 30K on it. He is not as experienced a driver and was embarrassed that he was shifting poorly as he said at high RPM's the 1st-2nd gear shift grinds. Not sure how much might have been just inexperience so I took it out with him and with aggressive acceleration/shift it grinds like hell but goes into gear. Prompted me to come here to look as I had an identical M3 that sadly did not rack up much mileage as I was T-boned by an SUV and it was totaled. Has anyone had luck with any of the above mentioned solutions? Not sure how strong left pressure on the shifter will correct a problem. Car is fine until under aggressive/high RPM 1-2 shift. Everywhere else, not a problem. But the grinding is impressive. Anything other than anecdotal fixes? Any "formal" thoughts from BMW? Obviously nothing will be released for public consumption as it would spark a wave of dealer visits. Anything underground info?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #219
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Just discovered this thread and, while I don't have the 2008 E90 6MT anymore (replaced by a 2011 E90 DCT recently), I used to wonder about the notchy, grinding shifts from 1st to 2nd. But, whereas the majority of people seem to experience it when shifting at high RPM, mine used to do it at low RPM shifts. Each high RPM 1-2 shifts were fantastically smooth each & every time, but shifts at low RPM would often result in slight grinds & notchiness. Didn't even bother asking the SA or mechanics at the dealer where I got it from as they've proved themselves to be a bunch of incompetent numbnuts.

On a different, but possibly converse note, when I upshift (any gears) DCT at full throttle/redline, I hear a thunk and substantial movement under the car. This being my first DCT/SMG car, it's unexpected and I had imagined that that's how SMG is, and therefore, expected DCT to be totally smooth at redline upshifts...

Last edited by OC3; 12-08-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #220
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

It happens to me too, rarely. When asking an experienced mechanic he explained that when you you're bringing the engine speed to such a high rpm while your gear is engaged and then disengage and re-engage the syncros and gears will speed up faster than the engine speed between that shift (in our case 1-2).

After the gears and syncros are spinning so fast we try poping it into the next gear and then boom .. Grinding happens.

To avoid this try to bring it through the rpm consistently don't bring it to 6k hold it then punch it and shift.

Bring it through the rpms smoothly then pop it into the next gear leaving a split second between 1-2 gear.

Hope that wasn't too confusing but basically it's engine speed vs. Gearbox speed.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0