BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

07-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
me90kreuz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 - SOLD

Custom Downpipe Exhaust?

Hey guys, I'm no longer a BMW owner now, but have a bit confusion about custom downpipe. This is for common rail diesel non-bmw cars. Can anyone here help me to explain what is downpipe and what's the effect of customizing downpipe exhaust?
Appreciating any help
      07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by me90kreuz View Post
Hey guys, I'm no longer a BMW owner now, but have a bit confusion about custom downpipe. This is for common rail diesel non-bmw cars. Can anyone here help me to explain what is downpipe and what's the effect of customizing downpipe exhaust?
Appreciating any help
A pipe that the turbo dumps hot exhaust gases into, aka turbine outlet pipe. Typically a custom down pipe would be larger and less restrictive so the turbo can get rid of hot exhaust more efficiently. The end result is more power, and fuel efficiency, depending on how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
me90kreuz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
A pipe that the turbo dumps hot exhaust gases into, aka turbine outlet pipe. Typically a custom down pipe would be larger and less restrictive so the turbo can get rid of hot exhaust more efficiently. The end result is more power, and fuel efficiency, depending on how you drive.
thanks, that's very well explained sir. By customizing the downpipe, will we get a significant number on gaining power? Is this gonna help to reduce the turbo-lag?