BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Angry Nissan GTR Hit and Run

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2..._koreatown.php

Graphic, disturbing video of the hit-and-run death of an elderly bicycle rider in Koreatown was released this week by LAPD (see it on the next page).

The 90-year-old victim, Joo Yoon, died at a hospital shortly after the April 27 collision, according to LAPD. The dash-cam video was released with the hope that someone might be able to lead investigators to the distinctive car involved -- a Nissan GT-R -- or its driver:

It's a fairly rare, $100,000, 200-plus mph car with a gray or gunmetal paint job and a white racing stripe that runs down the side, police say.

Why does no one help him?!

Thoughts and prayers to the victim's family.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Sad indeed... That stupid, heartless, bastard, filth needs swift street justice dealt IMO.
90yrs old??? I mean wow. To go out like that after being blessed enough to have the strength and ability to ride a bike at that age. Simply heart breaking.
The reaction times of the bystanders is troubling as well.

I wonder if 'pedestrian dash cams' will gain in popularity here in the states like they are already in Europe?
      07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I mean that is heart breaking but the GTR did have a green light. (Not saying its OK to run people over). However, it was dark and the light was green. It's easy to understand he didn't do it on purpose and obviously didn't see him. Nuts though. I can't believe nobody stopped within a reasonable amount of time either.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
wow that's sad. i'm guessing it was dark and the gtr's view of the biker was blocked by the car with the dash cam. still very cowardly to leave like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I'm not sure what the other people could have done except for call an ambulance. First aid? CPR? I don't know what I could do to help. For all you know, you could be making things worse by touching him (if he was still alive). Doesn't look like anything could have been done. But I would've run over to grab the GTR's plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
WFT!? And nobody runs to him to render aid right away? Nothing?! This is all very disturbing! These dudes walk over casually?
I have to agree, the one guy walked up like it was dangerous or something and did not even bend over to see if the guy was okay or not.

I am beginning to wonder about the society we live in, people not willing to get involved in a hit and run to attempt to help the person. On the other hand we have people saying you are not allowed to defend yourself when someone is pounding your head into the ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
nittany
shortstop
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

just sad situation...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Seeing as how it was in the Chinese district, it is terrible, but not shocking that they didn't help. There are not many countries with good samaritan laws like us. In those countries touching someone who is hurt means you are now liable for his/her health. The least they could have done is check to see if he responds verbally. The car did stop a little ways up the road, so it is odd that no one got his plate. I am sure they were in shock that someone just bounced off the hood. Bad situation for sure.
      07-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I mean that is heart breaking but the GTR did have a green light. (Not saying its OK to run people over). However, it was dark and the light was green. It's easy to understand he didn't do it on purpose and obviously didn't see him. Nuts though. I can't believe nobody stopped within a reasonable amount of time either.
Yeah I don't think people are mad at the GTR driver for hitting him.

If the GTR driver pulled over immediately, called 911, and provided as much pre-hospital care as he could, I don't think anyone would be mad at the GTR driver, provided that he wasn't under the influence of anything while driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I wonder what the guy in the Audi was talking to him about.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't see why the police are even looking for the driver to begin with? In case he might be driving under the influence? I know it is the law to stay after the accident but the video showed that the GTR did nothing wrong. It was his green and the car on the left was blocking his vision and was unable to see the bicycle coming.

At the end of the day, it's just a unfortunate that the old man had to run the red. But even if the police came, they would have released him immediately because of the video evidence (speaking that he has a valid drive license, insurance and not under the influence).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Maximus_850csi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90

Garage List
2021 BMW S1000XR  [0.00]
2018 YMB F80  [0.00]
This is insane! What is wrong with the world, where are we heading towards?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

"Suspect is described as a male Asian, about 25 years old, black hair, brown eyes. He is about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs about 180-190 pounds."

Silly kids...
      07-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
You are kidding right? And yes, the video SHOWS that the GT-R driver did something wrong... he fucking left the scene of the accident. And yes, maybe the reason he left was because he was driving under the influence, green light or not, he is looking at manslaughter now. Your fault or not, if you hurt somebody you fucking help!
At the end of the day, even if he stayed the person wouldn't have survived. I'm not saying he was right for leaving but there is pretty much nothing he could have done.

There is too much possibilities to guess what happened. What if he is new to the US and don't know the law too well. I mean, you are at koreatown. There is plenty of rich foreign kids. If he had shit to hide, he wouldn't have stayed there for 3 minutes. He could of gunned it in his supercar and be gone in a second and no one could even catch up to him. But nope, he stood there possibly calling 911 for help.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
having lived in Koreatown i'm not surprised by any of this (not Korean btw)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
Seeing as how it was in the Chinese district, it is terrible, but not shocking that they didn't help. There are not many countries with good samaritan laws like us. In those countries touching someone who is hurt means you are now liable for his/her health. The least they could have done is check to see if he responds verbally. The car did stop a little ways up the road, so it is odd that no one got his plate. I am sure they were in shock that someone just bounced off the hood. Bad situation for sure.

Interesting point you make, I have heard this before that in some countries if you injury someone or get involved in the situation like this you become responsible for the persons well being from that point forward. I wonder if what was going on here.

I also take a mental note to getting injured in communities like this since no one will attempt to help you in fear they may be responsible for my life.

This reminds me of the last Seinfeld show where they all stood by and did not help someone and they all went to jail because they did not help. I wounder if that could happen in this case as well. For your reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Finale_(Seinfeld)

Last edited by Maestro; 07-29-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Interesting point you make, I have heard this before that in some countries if you injury someone or get involved in the situation like this you become responsible for the persons well being from that point forward. I wonder if what was going on here.

I also take a mental note to getting injured in communities like this since no one will attempt to help you in fear they may be responsible for my life.

This reminds me on the last Seinfeld show where they all stood by and did not help someone and they all went to jail because they did not help. I wounder if that could happen in this case as well. For your reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Finale_(Seinfeld)
these are Fresh off the jet Koreans..nothing against them but they keep to themselves bigtime (and kind of rude to non-Koreans); not surprised they would just drive around a guy laid out on the floor
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I don't see why the police are even looking for the driver to begin with? In case he might be driving under the influence? I know it is the law to stay after the accident but the video showed that the GTR did nothing wrong. It was his green and the car on the left was blocking his vision and was unable to see the bicycle coming.

At the end of the day, it's just a unfortunate that the old man had to run the red. But even if the police came, they would have released him immediately because of the video evidence (speaking that he has a valid drive license, insurance and not under the influence).
The fact that he ran away is against the law.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

This is so sad; breaks my heart
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
It happened in Koreatown, not Chinatown or as you refer to it as "Chinese district". Just a clarification.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
There is something wrong with you.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
I'm not sure what the other people could have done except for call an ambulance. First aid? CPR? I don't know what I could do to help. For all you know, you could be making things worse by touching him (if he was still alive).
Talk to him, check pulse, etc... administer CPR right way. At that point you can't make anything worse.
Lawsuit for CPR from family potentially.
Appreciate 0