BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items

11-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Rim protection

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I've been looking for some way to protect the 19" OEM rims from damage the high stone curbs and parking garage entrances and I've seen a couple of interesting ideas: one is to switch to BBS rims with the new stainless steel edge that can be easily replaced. The other is something they make in Australia called "Rim Skins" (http://www.rimskins.com). The Rim Skins look like they might work well and depending on how they fit, might not be too noticable on the wheels. Anyone tried these things on their wheels?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

or......
just be careful and don't hit the rims ???
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

btw, I just checked out that website. there is no way that works...its basically tape or vinyl. How is that not gonna scratch if you BANG into a curb???

only thing that does is hide the damage if you apply a fresh tape over your current curb rash. Not to mention, the 19 have a polished look to them, and the tape they offer seems to be a grey aluminum color.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
btw, I just checked out that website. there is no way that works...its basically tape or vinyl. How is that not gonna scratch if you BANG into a curb???

only thing that does is hide the damage if you apply a fresh tape over your current curb rash. Not to mention, the 19 have a polished look to them, and the tape they offer seems to be a grey aluminum color.
I have no idea, which is why I was asking for someone's opinion that has tried them. I'm sure they don't protect the rims if you BANG into something (although the video on the website seems to suggest otherwise), but maybe they protect if you get too close to a curb which is what concerns me (here there are a lot of parking garages that have high curbs on entry and all they way down the entry ramp and they are very narrow, sometimes less than an inch of clearance on each side, so really hard to avoid scraping the wheel/rim). Maybe they work for that. Any case, speculation I can do on my own. Facts or experience is what I'm after.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

just be more careful when you park or pull over next to a curb... i have been running 19" rims for over 3 years and i have only curbed my wheels once in the last 3 years.. and that was on my old set of 19s not the current advan rs wheels that i have been running for about a year...

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

metal on metal
metal on concrete.

I just watch the video and after 8 bashes (surely the tape) would have come off by now....but regardless, I don't think any tape would protect against curbage....

for parking garages, just grease the attendent $10 and make sure he parks it in the front where all the $$ cars are...and this at least ensures he doesn't park on a ramp with the chance of curbing it. YMMV on the parking lot..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I too agree that that shit doesnt work but at the same time the you guys are telling him to be careful which is what I too say but unless you have been to France their roads and parking facilities are unimaginably stupid. There is literally a foot on each side when driving up and down parkades whereas we dont even think about that stuff in North America.

Just gotta be careful though
      11-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ci - E90 ///M - 330 - X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I've been looking for some way to protect the 19" OEM rims from damage the high stone curbs and parking garage entrances and I've seen a couple of interesting ideas: one is to switch to BBS rims with the new stainless steel edge that can be easily replaced. The other is something they make in Australia called "Rim Skins" (http://www.rimskins.com). The Rim Skins look like they might work well and depending on how they fit, might not be too noticable on the wheels. Anyone tried these things on their wheels?
You also might want to switch to a wider tire that offers greater rim protectors. I had Goodyear F1 GSD3 on my old car that offered a substantial rim protector edge and the rim was more inset in the sidewall of the tire. kinda hard to describe wish i had pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

You should get these

I think the curb wraps or whatever is dumb. If you really have that many problems maybe find a good wheel repair shop?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
HoT_PanDi3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I'm paying $20/mo, which is really nothing if you wanna have peace of mind.
I got the wheel & tire protection from the dealer, along with the paint protection/repair which you might need, if you ever pull into one of those parking spots and park beside a ginormous Lincoln Towncar with solid steel doors, with an almost blind old man as driver.

In short, I can come back to the dealership as many times as I want in my 5 year car payment term to have dings, dents & wheel damage repaired.

Best rim protection, I think.

Appreciate 0