BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Should I install BMW oem mods myself?

Last edited by DeleteAccountPlease; 12-01-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Well your other choice is 3m double sided tape. If you do your spoilers in that they will probably fly off at high speeds. The mirror caps clip in so no worry on those.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Well your other choice is 3m double sided tape. If you do your spoilers in that they will probably fly off at high speeds. The mirror caps clip in so no worry on those.
Some dealers use betalink and some use 3M. I just removed my OEM spoiler and replaced with performance spoiler and the OEM spoiler was attached using 3M tape.
I have ALWAYS used 3M double sided tape for spoilers, splitters, fins, diffusers and have had ZERO problems. If it is applied correctly, it WILL NOT fly off, even at high speeds. If it is installed incorrectly it could fall off in extreme heat or cold.
TO install correctly the tape as well as (both) mounting surfaces needs to be heated up with a hair dryer or heat gun before mounting.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
I am looking into buying the cf mirror caps, splitters, and spoiler that bmw sells. People say that if you get them installed at bmw they will use some sort of glue called "Betalink" that wont come off easy and if you want to remove the mods you'll probably damage your paint/mods. So should I just take the safe rout and install them myself? anyone have experiance with this? thanks.
1. If you are installing them in the first place, why would you want to take them off? These aren't the type of mods that you can resell for any kind of money. Also, if you use a high-bond tape, you will still scratch the paint to a certain degree when you remove the part. I personally think that these are "commitment" mods. Don't put them on with the thought that you may want to remove them later.

2. I am of the school of thought that you shouldn't do something half-ass. The mounting surface contact area for the M performance rear spoiler is not that great, and I really think you should use the betalink adhesive here. The front splitters can be securely fastened with double sided tape since the mounting surface area is quite large. Mirror covers replace the existing ones and don't need adhesive. As mentioned in the above post, surface temperature is key in terms of proper bonding.

3. I have the spoiler and splitters and installed both myself using betalink. If you are reasonably handy with these sorts of projects, it isn't difficult. Like anything, take the time to do all the proper prep work and set up, and it will be fine. One big advantage of the Betalink over the tape is that it takes a little time to harden so there is room for minor adjustments to make sure there are no gaps, etc. With tape, you get one chance to get it seated properly.

Don't cut corners when modding. Every time I have tried to ever take the "easier" route when modding, the result has always been less than optimal. Do it right the first time and you be certain to be satisfied.

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-17-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Some dealers use betalink and some use 3M. I just removed my OEM spoiler and replaced with performance spoiler and the OEM spoiler was attached using 3M tape.
I have ALWAYS used 3M double sided tape for spoilers, splitters, fins, diffusers and have had ZERO problems. If it is applied correctly, it WILL NOT fly off, even at high speeds. If it is installed incorrectly it could fall off in extreme heat or cold.
TO install correctly the tape as well as (both) mounting surfaces needs to be heated up with a hair dryer or heat gun before mounting.
+1 Have had my perf spoiler on for almost 2 years using 3M tape and it's still rock solid.
      04-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72
^This is not true.

I have taken my car (CF splitters, spoiler, diffuser) well over 130mph on a track with no problem. A full track day (~10 sessions) and no sign of wiggle. 3M is just fine for keeping parts on a car at high speeds. It's the imitators of 3M you need to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Definitely DIY all those parts!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
lmcgrew79
Enlisted Member