BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #243
kungfufishing
Rep
Drives: 350z

oddly enough, when I went to drive an M3 today, the car that I was to test had just been sold. So no M3 experience for me yet. However, the dealer also owns an adjacent chevy lot, so I decided to give the Z06 one more look. That really is an amazingly fast and powerful car. Handles well, too. Not quite what I'm looking for, but great fun. If anything, the performance level and limits on that thing are so high that unless you take it to a track, you are wasting it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #244
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
engine is the only thing corvette has. to be fair, even the engine is nothing special. bmw can extract 100hp+/liter any day, out of any engine.

while ls3 and ls7 are more advanced than predecessors, there is absolutely zero technological advancement. engine is still a push-rod with 16 valves and getting 505hp out of 7L or 436 out of 6.2L is nothing special. of course in a typical GM matter, to obtain extra 36hp, instead of revising intake/exhaust sides out of their previous 6L engine, chevy increases displacement. how innovative!!!

haven't been following on suspension. are they still on leaf springs? interior is still out of a rental malibu and on-center steering feel is disastrous in comparison to any other $50k performance car.

great power bargain for drag strip. thats about it.
The Z06's technological advancements are far more than the engine...it employs many of the weight saving and build philosophies of world class supercars...Magnesium chassis, carbon fiber reinforced fenders, balsa wood floor boards, and dry sump lubrication just to name a few...

And it's acceleration and lap times indicate that it is far more than a car meant for the drag strip...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #245
Hada318i
Motorin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

Smile C6 vs. M3

As much it hurts me to write this I do believe that the numbers in the Road And Track with the M3 tested in Germany are rather farfetch'd however this
C6 vs. M3 subject has basically summed an entire agrument that my father and I have had for the past 4 months. My dad, the typical Muscle Car Freak Fan, just bought a '08 C6 LS3 JSB with a 6 SPEED PADDLE SHIFT TRANNY. At first I honestly thought the car was going to be slow and unresponsive due to its automatic transmission. I was wrong, we killed a 997 Porsche Carrera S from a cold start at a street light. I have no dount that the C6 is faster than a RS4, Carrera S, C63 AMG, and other V-8 super coupes. But the world doesn't go in a Straight line. I Love M3's, I've grown up living and breathing this car ever since I was alittle kid and I'm finally getting one when I graduate and the one obstacle that I want this car to accomplish is too whoop the shit out of his plastic toy car because the M3 is a real machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #246
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hada318i View Post
I have no dount that the C6 is faster than a RS4, Carrera S, C63 AMG, and other V-8 super coupes. But the world doesn't go in a Straight line. I Love M3's, I've grown up living and breathing this car ever since I was alittle kid and I'm finally getting one when I graduate and the one obstacle that I want this car to accomplish is too whoop the shit out of his plastic toy car because the M3 is a real machine.

mmm, interesting statement,

yes the world is not full of straights, but a lot of road couses and tracks are, and the C6 is a very competent track car, look at the ring times,

of course a good driver will be the deciding factor, but equal drivers you will not be whooping on any C6's anytime soon.
Appreciate 0