BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloney View Post
If anyone is familiar with the Henry Hudson Parkway (9A), I was going North and the speed limit is 35 MPH. Not sure why it is 35 MPH, but it is what it is. They just paved it and the S curves are tempting as it is a 3 lane highway. I asked him where he was hiding and he laughs and says he can't tell me that, but I would have had to break my neck to see him. Apparently, there's a spot they hide that's up a hill on the right hand side, so be careful.

This is where he was:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.86...num=1&t=h&z=17
I was actually going to ask you in my first post if it was there that you got caught.... there are a couple of spots he parks at, I travel on this road everyday always on the way home & sometimes on my way in in the mornings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3crit View Post
Same exact thing happend to me about a month or two ago, by ay chance was he a kind of heavy set black guy? he got me in a loaner car right where the speed limit changes from 55 to 35 around a bend. was extremely nice and told me the same thing he told you, that he would be retiring shortly and that i should plead not guilty, and that they would give me a Jan 13 court date and that by time he would be gone. sure enough i got the paper in the mail for a Jan 13 court date, so we'll have to see what happens then. good luck hope we didnt get scammed!
He's out there every morning and he stopped me a couple months back and let me go...he's always wearing the hooker boots lol

now as I'm ready to leave work I'm going to take it extra slow but heading south bound its 50mph

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Maloney
Vroom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post

He's out there every morning and he stopped me a couple months back and let me go...he's always wearing the hooker boots lol

now as I'm ready to leave work I'm going to take it extra slow but heading south bound its 50mph
Lucky that he let you go, I was hoping for the same fate.

He showed up out of nowhere when he pulled me over. He must of been flying because next thing I knew I looked in my rear view and there he was 2 feet from my bumper with lights on.
      09-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #25
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
I used to tear up that section of highway when I lived there.
hah too funny - me too. the section between 57th and dyckman was prime late night "drive like a complete asshole" real estate for me. miraculously, i never got a speeding fine in either NY or NJ during the 1.5 years that i had my E92 there.
      09-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
As I was driving back from MPACT east, I received a speeding ticket in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC. I realize speeding is wrong so please leave out the flaming ..........
I beg to differ. Speeding is most certainly not wrong. A given speed limit is determined by a whole slew of factors, not all of which are always present, yet it would present a logistical nightmare to set a differing speed limit for differing conditions.

Scenario #1: A 77 year-old guy with mild dementia. He is in a 12 year old pick-up that barely passes inspection, driving in freezing rain with minimum tread all-season tires. The speed limit is 65, and he is driving 62.

Scenario #2: A 38 year old PhD engineer. He is driving an e92 M3 on a clear, dry, deserted interstate early in the morning. The speed limit is 65 and he is driving 90.

Who do you think is "wrong" here. My contention is that the guy who is driving 62 is "wrong" even though he is under the speed limit, as he is posing a far greater risk to public safety than the guy going 90, who, IMO, is posing no threat to anyone whatsoever.

And how about a highway that crosses a state line with no change whatsoever in the road or environmental conditions, and yet the speed limit can change 10mph. Why? Why is it "wrong" on one side of the line and not "wrong" on the other.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-17-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
Maloney
Vroom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I beg to differ. Speeding is most certainly not wrong. A given speed limit is determined by a whole slew of factors, not all of which are always present, yet it would present a logistical nightmare to set a differing speed limit for differing conditions.

Scenario #1: A 77 year-old guy with mild dementia. He is in a 12 year old pick-up that barely passes inspection, driving in freezing rain with minimum tread all-season tires. The speed limit is 65, and he is driving 62.

Scenario #2: A 38 year old PhD engineer. He is driving an e92 M3 on a clear, dry, deserted interstate early in the morning. The speed limit is 65 and he is driving 90.

Who do you think is "wrong" here. My contention is that the guy who is driving 62 is "wrong" even though he is under the speed limit, as he is posing a far greater risk to public safety than the guy going 90, who, IMO, is posing no threat to anyone whatsoever.

And how about a highway that crosses a state line with no change whatsoever in the road or environmental conditions, and yet the speed limit can change 10mph. Why? Why is it "wrong" on one side of the line and not "wrong" on the other.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.
Try this scenario in court and tell me the result.
      09-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
Maybe he has a quota to meet?
The officers get paid to go to court-often OT. In some jurisdictions they must schedule the hearings on the days or times they are not on duty so coverage is not disrupted. That said I had an officer not show up in PA and the judge just said - so sorry we will reschedule it - see you in a few weeks. The question is do you really want to truck back to NYC for a hearing to find out if he is going to show up or not? I doubt there is reciprosity between NY and CT - no points. Now if your insurance company tracks this sort of stuff you could have another issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #29
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
postpone it, "they do not bargain down speeding tickets in the 5 boroughs" this is a direct quote from a friend who is a lawyer in NYC
Where are the boroughs? Lol....

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Try this scenario in court and tell me the result.
Who said anything about court? I was referring purely to the concept of right as wrong as it applies to the theoretical reason for speed limits, which is safety. I say "theoretical", because we all know that there is revenue generating component involved as well.

Court is a game, a theater, if you will, in which the best player wins the game. Right and wrong are irrelevant. Presented well, any argument can have merit.
      09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #31
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Maybe you shouldn't have been speeding. Must have been going downhill to get that M3 over 35mph...

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
Maybe you shouldn't have been speeding. Must have been going downhill to get that M3 over 35mph...

Oh here we go again...

09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #33
sherrod
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

I just get a local ticket attorney in the county I've received the ticket and have them handel it. I never get points or have to do any of the classes.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post

Appreciate 0