BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

09-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
When is it on?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
When is it on?
http://www.speedtv.com/programs/batt...the-supercars/

Most likely Thursday at 10 PM but depends what time zone you are in.
      09-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #25
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
No it was a red coupe for some strange reason.
Better be DCT at least. I have 6MT but DCT is obviously quicker. And ZCP or not, it should kick his a$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I never thought I would say that anything sounds better than a Ferrai but the LFA is that car.
FAR better than any Ferrari IMO. My question is if the 5L V10 has a flat or cross-plane crank.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Do you all know that the 4 tail pipes (exhaust) are fake, and only 2 of them are functional while the other 2 are for picture perfect "sport car"
So whats the big deal? We have a fake vent on the right side of the hood.
      09-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #27
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
FAR better than any Ferrari IMO. My question is if the 5L V10 has a flat or cross-plane crank.
No flat plane. Part of the reason why I feel Ferrari V8 sound so rough, abrasive and buzzy due to the flat plane.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-14-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

i think i'm more interested in what this thread will become AFTER the show (regardless of the outcome) than the show itself...

i can only imagine the comments if the IS-F ends up winning...

i'll watch the show though, just so i know what to expect the next morning when i log in here, haha !!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #29
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
So whats the big deal? We have a fake vent on the right side of the hood.
Yeah but that's for symmetry since the left one is functional but for ISF exhaust one on each side is functional but they add another one on each side for sport illusion. Had they left it one on each side you'd compared it more appropriately to a BMW 335 not an M3. Big difference
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

From the glimpse, it appeared M3 was winning since Foust was shown complaining to the presenter about Tracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
i think i'm more interested in what this thread will become AFTER the show (regardless of the outcome) than the show itself...

i can only imagine the comments if the IS-F ends up winning...

i'll watch the show though, just so i know what to expect the next morning when i log in here, haha !!

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Where the IS-F gets knocked around a lot by reviewers is it's noticably harsh ride compared to the competition. Performance numbers are close, but every comparison I've seen between the two pick the M3. The IS-F is a hodge-podge of parts thrown together and a stiffened ride. Probably more accurate to have this face off with the next gen M3, when it too becomes a hodge-podge of parts thrown together with a tuned suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Fun! I love that show as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

That show sucks and the results, no matter which car wins, should not be taken seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #34
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
I looked all over for the show on DirecTV and couldn't find a description showing the M3 in a comparison with the ISF. Do you know the exact time and series title.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #35
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
I looked all over for the show on DirecTV and couldn't find a description showing the M3 in a comparison with the ISF. Do you know the exact time and series title.
Man. It's all in the title if the thread. The battle of super cars. On Speed. If u don't get speed. You can watch it later on speed. Com
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #36
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
That show sucks and the results, no matter which car wins, should not be taken seriously.
Don't agree. It is a great first effort considering it is American. It is much better than most shoddy and shamelessly biased European programs/magazines.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #37
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
Record a few of the shows on Thursday. I've noticed that Directv has gotten many of the shows vehicles mixed up from show to show. So even if it says CTS-V vs AMG, record it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #38
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
No flat plane. Part of the reason why I feel Ferrari V8 sound so rough, abrasive and buzzy due to the flat plane.
Thanks man. That confirms my theory the best sounding engines have a proper cross-plane crank. Ferrari V8s don't sound appealing to me AT ALL. The V8 engine I like the best is the M3, and I don't think it'll be another better one, so I'll always miss this car when it's gone. Having said that, I prefer almost any other V8 engine sound before Ferrari. Remember hearing this F430 that sounded like it had gone 150K miles without a tune-up, burping, farting, and raspy as hell. Plus you have to pay over sticker for those things? No thanks, even if I had all the money in the world (just like Leno). I'm not a V10 fan, but after listening to this car, I'd gladly accept one as a gift . But prefer the V8 sound of my car. And stock .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Record a few of the shows on Thursday. I've noticed that Directv has gotten many of the shows vehicles mixed up from show to show. So even if it says CTS-V vs AMG, record it anyway.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't record it because it said 'Ariel Atom vs KTM' this Thursday, plus an older 'Ferrari 548 and 599' after that. Since they couldn't even get right the 458, I'll record both just in case. And glad Tracy got the M3 because he's always jumping the gun . Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

I know this is about the M3 vs ISF but I have to say this video gave me chills that sound is ****ing out of this world.

Also I think the LFA looks pretty badass in red. As far as price honestly I think the best way to look this situation is - if you had a billion dollars (or were a multi multi multi millionaire - i.e. the types of people these cars cater to) would you want the LFA as part of your collection? I think the answer for me would be yes.

If I were going out to get a supercar, would the LFA be my first choice? No. I'd go for the old guard, the Ferraris the Lamborghinis, and so on. I'd get a Veyron as well, but somewhere along the line, I would love to get the LFA. Only 500 makes it rare, and the sound is amazing. I'd only get it if money were really no object.

If I had just $400k to spend on a car, I probably shouldn't be spending $400k on a car in the first place. People who buy $400k cars have $40 million+ bucks in the bank (or invested).

You guys have to realize that the people buying the LFA aren't going "LFA or Ferrari?" These people already have the Ferraris, the Lamborghinis, the Veyrons, etc.

I know Jay Leno really wants an LFA in his garage, for example. He already has a kickass collection of supercars, it's not like this will be the first and only supercar he buys.

As far as the show I think this is a no brainer that the M3 will trounce the ISF. I don't think I've ever seen a single comparison where the M3 has lost. Hell, even a Japanese comparo where you'd think the ISF would get "home cooking" had the M3 clearly on top.

ISF is comparable in a straight line but not on the curves. Plain and simple. M3 > ISF
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #40
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Unbelievably expensive though, with the R8 V10 at less than half the price. That's a lot to pay for originality. Be interesting to see how the performance matches up. But if I had 400k to blow on a car, I don't think my list of dealerships to visit would include Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #41
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Unbelievably expensive though, with the R8 V10 at less than half the price. That's a lot to pay for originality. Be interesting to see how the performance matches up. But if I had 400k to blow on a car, I don't think my list of dealerships to visit would include Lexus.
+1
      09-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #42
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

You are correct for the most part. Funny I see all the naysayers who are people that cannot afford it. The people who can buy it, bought it and Lexus had no shortage of demand. Lexus got to pick the people who buy these cars not the other way around. As a matter of fact, actor/celebrity race car driver Zachery Levi was recently turned down by Lexus as a buyer for LFA.

However, I do know a couple of guys who have LFA on order and it is their first supercar. They also bought them outright. No leasing or anything. Actually, one of them was instrumental in making Lexus give a purchase option rather than the lease.

Having said that, Lexus is above and beyond most of the supercars in terms of blending in performance with every luxury imaginable standard. I don't think there is another supercar that mixes both of them so well. I don't know of any other supercar that offers 14 speakers Mark Levinson system in it. Plus a loaded $350,000 is an apples to oranges comparison with a $170,000 bare bones, base, stripped Audi R8 V10.

LFA is more of a 599 GTB competitor in terms of luxury, yet weighs over 600 pounds less and is more exciting and a more driver's car than the 458 Italia. The Stig recently picked LFA over the 458 Italia, GT3 RS, SLS AMG and 570-4 as "the most amazing track weapon".

Taken together with all the engineering, 100% purpose built and technological advancements with the exclusivity, it is easy to see why Lexus sold all of them so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I know this is about the M3 vs ISF but I have to say this video gave me chills that sound is ****ing out of this world.

Also I think the LFA looks pretty badass in red. As far as price honestly I think the best way to look this situation is - if you had a billion dollars (or were a multi multi multi millionaire - i.e. the types of people these cars cater to) would you want the LFA as part of your collection? I think the answer for me would be yes.

If I were going out to get a supercar, would the LFA be my first choice? No. I'd go for the old guard, the Ferraris the Lamborghinis, and so on. I'd get a Veyron as well, but somewhere along the line, I would love to get the LFA. Only 500 makes it rare, and the sound is amazing. I'd only get it if money were really no object.

If I had just $400k to spend on a car, I probably shouldn't be spending $400k on a car in the first place. People who buy $400k cars have $40 million+ bucks in the bank (or invested).

You guys have to realize that the people buying the LFA aren't going "LFA or Ferrari?" These people already have the Ferraris, the Lamborghinis, the Veyrons, etc.

I know Jay Leno really wants an LFA in his garage, for example. He already has a kickass collection of supercars, it's not like this will be the first and only supercar he buys.

As far as the show I think this is a no brainer that the M3 will trounce the ISF. I don't think I've ever seen a single comparison where the M3 has lost. Hell, even a Japanese comparo where you'd think the ISF would get "home cooking" had the M3 clearly on top.

ISF is comparable in a straight line but not on the curves. Plain and simple. M3 > ISF

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-15-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #43
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I'm sure there are people who bought the LFA as their first supercar. I'll say personally I would never do that.

Honestly I think the LFA is a sweet car it has exceeded my expectations but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm getting it for my first supercar. I'm going with Ferrari or Lamborghini first - period.

Bring on that Murciélago
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #44
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

LFA sounds nuts
thanks for posting the vid on n-ring. That guy can drive too
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0