BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

01-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
it is pointless to supercharged your m3 because at the end of the day, it is still the same car with more hp. why not just get something else entirely different. you only live once.

i go gtr all the way. the 2013 ride is more comfy, big trunk, and out handle/out accelerate/out brake the m3, and smoother transmission. i would rather get a brand new car with warranty than supercharged your m3.
Whether someone wants to SC their M3 is entirely a personal choice. For you to say it's pointless becasue it is still the same car but with more HP is an asinine comment to make. How many people do you know that say they love the car they have but just wish it had more HP. There are a ton. Shit, I felt that way about my former CaymanS. Furthermore, do you say this to all of the GT-R guys that sold their '09-'11 to get the '12 just for the additional HP?

A new GT-R is $92K....SC'ing an '09 is $8.5K-13K on a car that is now worth $45-50K. Thats a huge difference.

You are a big GT-R fan so please put your bias opinion aside and look at the situation logically. A GT-R is not as good a DD as the E9XM3.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
I'd go for the GTR. If you're the type of person who switches cars every few years, a supercharger kit is wasteful in the sense that its a depreciating investment. What are the supercharger kits running these days $15k-20k or so? Plus the accompanying mods to help it support the power. That's a lot of extra money to spend considering that if you try and sell the car in two years you'd be lucky to get even 50% of that investment back.

If you're like the big M3 fans on this board and will keep the car for a while then go for the supercharger. To me it seems like you're just looking for something new to tide you over for the next year or two and in that case the GTR will be something different.
An ESS SC that provides you 535 crank HP is $8,300 brand new. Figure another $1K to get it installed.

These SC systems are sold used for $6K. They are not super expensive to start with and tend to hold their value very well. When it's time to sell the car you just take the SC off the car, sell it and your car is returned to normal very easily.

http://www.esstuning.com/categories/...252dSeries/M3/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Save your money. Ive gone the Dinan Stroker route, then the supercharger. Leave your car unmolested. Save for the next gen m3.
      01-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #26
FR01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
I'd go for the GTR. If you're the type of person who switches cars every few years, a supercharger kit is wasteful in the sense that its a depreciating investment. What are the supercharger kits running these days $15k-20k or so? Plus the accompanying mods to help it support the power. That's a lot of extra money to spend considering that if you try and sell the car in two years you'd be lucky to get even 50% of that investment back.

If you're like the big M3 fans on this board and will keep the car for a while then go for the supercharger. To me it seems like you're just looking for something new to tide you over for the next year or two and in that case the GTR will be something different.
An ESS SC that provides you 535 crank HP is $8,300 brand new. Figure another $1K to get it installed.

These SC systems are sold used for $6K. They are not super expensive to start with and tend to hold their value very well. When it's time to sell the car you just take the SC off the car, sell it and your car is returned to normal very easily.

http://www.esstuning.com/categories/...252dSeries/M3/
Used hmm where?

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Save your money. Ive gone the Dinan Stroker route, then the supercharger. Leave your car unmolested. Save for the next gen m3.
Thanks for the wise advise Optherion
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR01 View Post
Used hmm where?
I'm not saying that there is one available right now but here is one that was available two months ago on this very forum.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613588
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think this is a great comparison. Lots of things to weigh here. Straight line performance would likely be very similar if not an advantage to the S/C M3 depending on your kit.

S/C M3 advantages:
Plenty of power
RWD (I see this as an advantage)
Interior (style, comfort)
Styling? Subjective..
Manual option
Cheaper
Sound
Throttle response

GTR advantages:
Warranty
AWD (for all-weather grip and track)
Transmission
Quicker on a track
Race oriented interior, seats, etc.

For me the big thing is warranty. I know most of you don't care. But the S65 is pretty expensive. Would not supercharge my M3 for that reason - I'd go with the GTR. That said I am in no way looking for more torque, so I'm pretty happy. But if you're on a torque hunt and can afford a GTR I think you should go for it.
      01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
So, you have the Dinan Stroker, and you supercharged it in addition.. but you are unhappy with the torque?

Hmmm.....
Should have clarified a bit more.

I had 2 e92 M3's and now a 335i. The first was with the Dinan stroker upgrade which I sold after about a year.

The 2nd M3, I decided the Supercharger was a more cost effective upgrade. Which it is in comparison.

I now daily drive a 335i coupe simply for the gas mileage. This is NOT a m3 vs 335 comparison so no one get started on that lol. It is simply a cruiser to and from work with decent power. My comparison for lacking torque should be taken in perspective. My other cars have been a Viper, Ford GT, ZR1, R8,SLS Mercedes and a GT-R. I personally would hold out for the next gen M3. I hope BMW uses turbo chargers in the new m3. It will make torque much more efficiently and sooner. Sure, it wont have the highrev N/A sound or feel, but I simply daily drive mine. I have other toys for the weekend.

I did it all over again on my 3rd e92. I went for the 335i on a lease. The amount I spent on mods on previous cars was ridiculous. Taking into perspective, Ive spent about $3500 on my GT-R to net a 600hp package. We wont go there though. That is apples to oranges. Even though I own a GT-R I am not going to comment if its right for you. Go drive one and see about the comfort. The seats are pretty damn firm so is the ride. My neck usually hurts the next day after driving it The interior is very nice. The Nav is lacking compared to Idrive. I hate the iPod interface compared to BMW. So much I dont even use my iPod or the Nav. My Gripes are small, but those are the things I notice when I drive the GT-R in replacement of my BMW during the middle of the week. Everyone who says the GT-R has a numb feel or drives itself has never taken one on a track. The limits are so high you could easily feel bored on the street. Try entering chicane at 120 MPH Flat out Youll be thankful it is AWD. In fact, the steering has a lot of feel. You can always feel the torque shifting from front to rear in the steering wheel. It is addicting driving it on the track. The AWD system makes you itch to jump on the throttle faster than other cars can.

Last edited by Optherion; 01-16-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I really wish the F30 was going to be sooner than 19-20 Months!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
I still don't get this... looking at this and your signature... you ended up taking a huge loss by selling the two heavily modified M3's for a 335 to get better gas mileage? Looks like you are quite a baller (Ford GT, SLS, etc... ), so why do you care about mpg's? Can't be the environment either, right. I mean - seriously?!

Sometimes I wonder if people confuse Gran Turismo with real life when posting about the cars they own. Why would a wealth person DD a 335i, of all cars, the true wealthy people I know and am around, tend to have a few sports cars for fun and a truck or SUV for DDs. Not, a psuedo performance car like the 335i for DDing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
advanced101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
I still don't get this... looking at this and your signature... you ended up taking a huge loss by selling the two heavily modified M3's for a 335 to get better gas mileage? Looks like you are quite a baller (Ford GT, SLS, etc... ), so why do you care about mpg's? Can't be the environment either, right. I mean - seriously?!
I agree with this logic, and when I read his post I thought the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #34
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:

Well I don't know about that. I prefer cars with better MPG as DDs too, not because of the cost of gas but for fewer times to the gas pump and longer range. That said, none of my vehicles get great gas mileage.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

There are many wealthy people cruising around in Prius'... who knows what else they have in the garage at home? Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Cars are largely wasting assets so lets not get all cost conscious. Both great cars with unique performance characteristics. I would have said GT-R before I got to ride in a reasonably powerful SC E90 M3 and I would recommend doing the same before you make the decision. A high revving V8 with a SC is really appealing to me, sounds, fury, speed etc. Takes all the M3 goodness and turns it up quite a few notches. That said its hard to go wrong with a GT-R from a performance standpoint. As far as warranty, you are looking at used GT-R's that will have limited, if any, warranty anyway so keep that in mind and I'm pretty sure they aren't super cheap to fix so there's that. Good luck, good choice to have to make.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That wasn't the point. My comment was directed towards the two M3's (dinan stroker and SC) in regards to the lack of torque ), and the better mpg's of the 335. I just four it hard to comprehend - but then again, I make weird calls that other folks don't understand... it's all good.
It would be interesting for him to clarify your point though.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #38
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

As far as DDing goes the M3 is much, much more comfortable and easier to drive. I have never been in a SC M3 so I couldn't tell you about the power but the GTR is insanely fast. There have been numerous threads on that so no need to get into. The seats in the GTR are for skinny folks, the bolters are very tight and there is limited adjustments that you can make to the seats. Luckily I am skinny so that isn't a problem for me. The M3 seats are excellent. The GTR beats the hell out of you on rough roads, the runflats that they come with are loud and hard and the steering takes some getting used to. Also, the GTR is a bigger car which does take some getting used to. The sound system in the M3 is also much better than the Bose system in the Nissan. I daily drive a GTI and not the GTR for the above reasons, as well as, I don't care what happens to the GTI and the GTR does attract lots of attention. Nothing worse than seeing a bunch of dudes circle jerking around your car!! I picked up the GTR to take to the track so I can live with its harshness, but as far as a daily I would keep the M3 and if need be SC it. I would skip on the Porsche simply because it is not practical, especially if you like to golf, you would always have to hitch a ride or drive separately. This is not a GTR vs. M3 arguement, just my impressions since I have owned both.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #39
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Well I don't know about that. I prefer cars with better MPG as DDs too, not because of the cost of gas but for fewer times to the gas pump and longer range. That said, none of my vehicles get great gas mileage.
Thank you for clarifying for the others on here. Some people seem to think because of other cars Ive owned, you must have 500hp+ to be happy. I dont compare or care what the guy at the light next to me is driving. Same reason I dont have the M version of the x5. I dont need the power. I hate the mentality of people on here that think you drive the car you can afford. Those types of people are ONLY driving the cars they can afford.

I actually came by the 335 on accident. Traded the M3's in because I wasnt driving them. Then came to miss the BMW. I had a sour taste for the M car. Too many trips to the damn gas station, short range on a 300+ mile trip, the DCT almost killed me a few times, and I prefer the runflats on the 335i. DONT FLAME ME. But they have saved my life from being stranded in BFE a few times. Last flat in the m3 I had it towed and messed up my whole day. This is just about using a 335 for a daily. I have too many cars that rattle my fillings out as it is. As far as the loss on what Ive spent, I dont even want to go there. It was foolish but like everyone here, I was obsessed with my M3.

I also own a Hyundai if it makes some of you feel better.

PS: 997GT3, I see you have a 2013 GT-R on its way? I have a 2010 with a few mods. If you have driven one, then between you and I, you'll understand when I say it makes a blown M3 still feel torque anemic. For the record my supercharged M3 made 480whp/310 ftlbs of torque and the GT-R I drove during the same period of ownership made 480whp/516ftlbs.

Last edited by Optherion; 01-22-2012 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #40
991GT3
Captain
Rep

^^yes I have one on order but I'm starting to get cold feet. All the hoopla over a big power boost from my previous '12 that ended up to be not very significant plus this huge price increase is making me hesitate.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #41
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^^^

Yes, hard to decide if its worth picking up a 2012 used or a new 2013. I dont think they even changed the launch control software or transmission software? I could be mistaken. Im happy with my modded 2010. In fact, its going to be hard finding something after having the GT-R. I really keep my fingers crossed on BMWs next M3 coupe.
      01-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #42
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
I really keep my fingers crossed on BMWs next M3 coupe.
Not sure what you are hoping it will offer - a little more grunt than the current model?

I think your baseline is a little off - the new M3 will be an evolution of the current model, with a more powerful but less thrilling engine, and hopefully better handling and less weight. They may even get the brakes right who knows. In no way will it be a competitor to the (modified or stock) GT-R, not having nearly the same power or grip.

The good part of course will be that it will cost *significantly* less than a GT-R, even fully loaded.

You should still be looking towards Porsche? The new GT3 perhaps? (Which I think will have the adjustable suspension and the optional DCT).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0