BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: What is your Drivelogic startup behavior?
I have the latest DCT software and my car always goes to S mode on startup. 51 53.13%
I have the latest DCT software and my car always goes D mode on startup. 21 21.88%
I have the latest DCT software and my car does not consistently go to either mode on startup. 14 14.58%
I don't have the latest software. 10 10.42%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

10-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
This is weird. My car stays in whatever I had DCT in last. D4 or S3
Can you post a vid? You'd be the first every with that behavior, AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Can you post a vid? You'd be the first every with that behavior, AFAIK.
Never mind, I tried it nothing short of 10 times this weekend. It always goes back to S3.
      10-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Never mind, I tried it nothing short of 10 times this weekend. It always goes back to S3.
Same here, car delivered Friday afternoon so I assume the latest software and always starts in S3...

Last edited by kscarrol; 10-11-2010 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

kscaroll and ChrisK

Just to make sure - can you do me a favor? Next time you start, when pushing the shift lever right from reverse, try to do it with no brake applied.

If I have some brake applied when I push the lever, it typically goes to S3 just fine. If I lift from the brake before the shift (or, never use the brake at all), that's when it goes to D mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Will test that out! Have to say I have always had my foot on the brake when going into S3...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

I,m sorry but this poll does NOT make sense. There are Euro and American voters in the same poll which is total nuts.
1) the Euro M3 standard drivelogic is D3 while American M3s are S3
2) most people here reporting American M3 going to D have not specified if that is after driving on D then going to R then trying to switch back, in this case the car will go to whatever it was on. totally diferent from fresh starting the car, where Americans will go to S3 and Euro will go to D3.
you need to specify on the poll if your car are American specs or Euro for this poll to be valid.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
kscaroll and ChrisK

Just to make sure - can you do me a favor? Next time you start, when pushing the shift lever right from reverse, try to do it with no brake applied.

If I have some brake applied when I push the lever, it typically goes to S3 just fine. If I lift from the brake before the shift (or, never use the brake at all), that's when it goes to D mode.
the car goes to N after R and to switch it to D or S for that matter you will HAVE to depress the brakes. so I'm not sure how can you get it on D from R without touching the brake???
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Hi, thanks for posting. Let me see if I can clear up some of this incorrect information you seem to have picked up elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I,m sorry but this poll does NOT make sense. There are Euro and American voters in the same poll which is total nuts.
No, actually, I was fully aware that the results would differ based on region and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I included both of the first two choices so that people in either region could answer correctly.

Quote:
1) the Euro M3 standard drivelogic is D3 while American M3s are S3
No. The Euro (and other non-NA regions) M3s default mode is D2. However, the exact Drivelogic setting is not what's important. Its which mode, D or S, that is what I was after.

Quote:
2) most people here reporting American M3 going to D have not specified if that is after driving on D then going to R then trying to switch back, in this case the car will go to whatever it was on. totally diferent from fresh starting the car, where Americans will go to S3 and Euro will go to D3.
you need to specify on the poll if your car are American specs or Euro for this poll to be valid.
If people are answering the question for situations other than when the car is first started, then they are not following directions. Obviously its impossible to force people to read the poll carefully and answer accordingly.

Quote:
the car goes to N after R
No. It goes to N if you click the lever to left, yes. But it goes to D or S if you click it to the right.

Quote:
and to switch it to D or S for that matter you will HAVE to depress the brakes. so I'm not sure how can you get it on D from R without touching the brake???
You do not have to be on the brakes if you are moving acceptably slowly.

Thanks again for reading. Always happy to help clear things up.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No, actually, I was fully aware that the results would differ based on region and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I included both of the first two choices so that people in either region could answer correctly.
so you're saying if 60% USA and 40% euro voted for example, that would still be a valid overall poll?? so if I look at the results of the poll and see that 35% of the answers saying it goes to D what does this mean to me? something wrong with my car (no, I'm on USA specs), M3 has a random drivelogic selection (no only different specs for different parts of the world) it's like asking does your M3 has a MPH or KPH speedometer without asking WHERE

No. The Euro (and other non-NA regions) M3s default mode is D2. However, the exact Drivelogic setting is not what's important. Its which mode, D or S, that is what I was after.
My point. I knew it goes to D in Euro cars, doesn't really matter 2 or 3 cause that was your poll question.

If people are answering the question for situations other than when the car is first started, then they are not following directions. Obviously its impossible to force people to read the poll carefully and answer accordingly.
Agree

No. It goes to N if you click the lever to left, yes. But it goes to D or S if you click it to the right.
No left and NO right just pushing the lever back neutrally (to a centeralized)position it goes to N
People should get info from polls and I don't know what kind of info should i get from this one
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Actually just went and tried. Even at complete stand-still, the car will not allow me to put the car in gear unless I put my foot on the brake... And then it still goes into S3.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Actually just went and tried. Even at complete stand-still, the car will not allow me to put the car in gear unless I put my foot on the brake... And then it still goes into S3.
Same here.
      10-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so you're saying if 60% USA and 40% euro voted for example, that would still be a valid overall poll?? so if I look at the results of the poll and see that 35% of the answers saying it goes to D what does this mean to me? something wrong with my car (no, I'm on USA specs), M3 has a random drivelogic selection (no only different specs for different parts of the world) it's like asking does your M3 has a MPH or KPH speedometer without asking WHERE
You're making it more difficult than it is.

Put simply, the first two choices represent the original, non-buggy behavior, while the 3rd represents the new buggy behavior. That's it.

So we have 34 + 6 people with no bug, and 7 with the bug.

It's really that simple.

Quote:
No left and NO right just pushing the lever back neutrally (to a centeralized)position it goes to N
Fair enough, however, if you click from R directly to the right the car will essentially skip neutral. In other words your original claim that "the car goes to N after R" is not really the case. Semantically, yes, the transmission must probably go to a state where no shift collar is engaged since you do not want them overlapping. But it never indicates "N" such on the dash readout since you are shifting right through to 1st gear.

Quote:
People should get info from polls and I don't know what kind of info should i get from this one
It's very clear. 7 our of 47 respondants people have the problem.

Well that, and that one out of over a thousand who viewed the topic doesn't understand the poll.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Same here.
Let me try a couple times later and see. However, as outie suggested in his original post above, his car can go into gear without the brake. And mine exhibits the same behavior as far as I have been able to determine in the past.

So, maybe the bug is really that the car should be rejecting the shift entirely, rather than going into gear. But instead of forbidding it, for whatever reason, it allows it to go into D mode.

Anyway, thanks both of you for trying.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #36
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Let me re-try on the way home this evening! As I read you follow-up post I realize that you are talking about going straight from R to a forward gear. My earlier efforts were putting in in N first at which point the car required a foot on the brake to go into gear. Let me try the direct shift over you described...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Let me try a couple times later and see. However, as outie suggested in his original post above, his car can go into gear without the brake. And mine exhibits the same behavior as far as I have been able to determine in the past.

So, maybe the bug is really that the car should be rejecting the shift entirely, rather than going into gear. But instead of forbidding it, for whatever reason, it allows it to go into D mode.

Anyway, thanks both of you for trying.
Just to clarify, I never mentioned that I went into gear without applying the brake. I know I mentioned "rolling", but it meant brake was applied but not fully stopped.
      10-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #38
smoothm
NICE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Sparkling Graphite Metallic

Mine goes to D5 consistently, only when i change to S mode does it go to S3... S5 also feels soft, but i was used to the hard jerky shifting of S5 before the update now the shifts are smoother... now im used to it and it feels fine again… can’t complain much though about the M
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #39
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
It always goes to S3 in the S mode regardless of the last setting. D modes, on the other hand, remain in the last D mode used. April built "11
Yeap, mine does the same thing.

S3 always in S mode regardless of last setting.

D mode retains the last setting used.

Would love if it stayed in S(whatever) you set last.

May '11 build
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
Just to clarify, I never mentioned that I went into gear without applying the brake. I know I mentioned "rolling", but it meant brake was applied but not fully stopped.
Thanks outie. My apologies for misinterpreting you.

In any case, I expreimented with mine yesterday and I can absolutely go into first gear directly from reverse without the brake applied at all (foot completely off the pedal). In this case - just like if I am rolling back with "not enough" brake - it lands in D mode every single time.

So now I am even more curious to hear back from those without the bug. Can you put the car directly from reverse to first gear (one motion with the stick) without your foot touching the brake pedal at all? If so, what mode do you get?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothm View Post
Mine goes to D5 consistently, only when i change to S mode does it go to S3...
Try it tonight with your foot firmly on the brake. Come to a full stop even. I strongly suspect your car will go to S3, not D*.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #42
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In any case, I expreimented with mine yesterday and I can absolutely go into first gear directly from reverse without the brake applied at all (foot completely off the pedal). In this case - just like if I am rolling back with "not enough" brake - it lands in D mode every single time.

So now I am even more curious to hear back from those without the bug. Can you put the car directly from reverse to first gear (one motion with the stick) without your foot touching the brake pedal at all? If so, what mode do you get?
Tried this and my car does the same, staight from reverse into D mode...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #43
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks outie. My apologies for misinterpreting you.

Can you post a video? you're saying your DCT M3;
1) would go directly from R to D bypassing N and S3
2) Without touching the brake
3) doesn't give you the chime and the message with the foot pushing the pedal
did you need to go to a complete stop from R?
what if you you push the stick just back without pushing right in one motion? does it go to N?
is that only new? or do you think you just discovered this new?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tried this and my car does the same, staight from reverse into D mode...
Thank you kscarrol. I think a lot more people have this issue than realize it.
Appreciate 0