BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

02-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #199
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

SSII is an awesome color.. Enjoy the car, man. oh, yeah, happy b day.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #200
slimj281
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 cp 6-MT

nice...With great powers comes great resposibilities.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #201
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Happy Birthday...!!
      02-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #202
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
I have mixed feeling about the whole story.

On the one hand, you seem like a nice kid whom your parents want to please. There is probably nothing wrong with that. If they can afford it, more power to them and you.

On the other hand, no matter how balanced and together a 16-year old kid you are, it is not a safe proposition to give a 400+HP car to such a young driver with no driving experience. The car is not just a nice poster on a wall, it is a monster with astonishing capabilities. Most can put any driver in trouble.
Additionally, and that's probably the most troubling part to me: I don't think you will truly appreciate the car (both for what it is and for how much it cost, i.e. the amount of work to be able to afford one) when you have nothing from your experience to compare it to.

In any case, you do sound like a nice kid, so best of luck to you with your new ride.
+1

No 16 year old kid has a AU$185,000.00 car in this country that I have ever heard of..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #203
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Skyline View Post
i've had experience with various types of cars.. which is experience nonetheless.. regardless of only being six years worth.. it is better than NOTHING.. experience comes in many forms.. it doesn't have to be length but also the type of experience.. someone who spends a year on a race track could be more experienced than someone who has been driving for 30 years

having driven a 997 S, 996 turbo, 360 CS, Gallardo LP-560, among many others (not trying to boast here, just stating the caliber of cars) my six years of experience is more than someone else driving a prius for six years

i'm not putting myself on a higher ground either.. simply stating it how it is

and i put emphasis on "practice" drifting because i don't go around city streets scaring people.. i use empty parking lots

people say a lot of things but it doesn't mean they are right.. i say i'm a good driver because many people have acknowledged that.. not because "i think" or "i feel" i am a good driver

you assume too much
i guess youre right that experience does count for quite a bit. its just that i've seen too many people, even those up to 30 yrs of age acting stupid in meets and getting everyone else in trouble (ie passerby's call the cops)... so i guess it takes both experience and responsibility to be a good driver.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #204
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCArce01 View Post
I don't think anyone said they wouldn't want an M3... but rather at that age it would make WAY more sense to trade it for a 335i coupe or even a 328i. Virtually any new BMW is still very quick for an inexperience 16 year old and they'd probably still think that was plenty fast and honestly might not even be able to tell much of a difference in power. That way you can have plenty of fun and save the rest of the money for college or whatever. Because when you start off already up in M3 range its hard get any satisfaction unless your next car is even faster still.

My opinion is start off in the slower range and work your way up in order to get both the experience and appreciation for power/fun. It's just not very sensible in any aspect. You get much more satisfaction and respect for something that you slowly build up to, but anyways, i'll get off my soapbox now.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #205
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKe450 View Post
+1

No 16 year old kid has a AU$185,000.00 car in this country that I have ever heard of..
this kid does only his 18 now

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172531
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #206
Diamond Skyline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i guess youre right that experience does count for quite a bit. its just that i've seen too many people, even those up to 30 yrs of age acting stupid in meets and getting everyone else in trouble (ie passerby's call the cops)... so i guess it takes both experience and responsibility to be a good driver.
there will always be idiots who strive for attention

we can't just put all the idiots on a spaceship and send them to the moon.. you'd be an idiot to do that.. we all need some comedy in our lives
'04 G35 Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #207
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by godora View Post
thats not his car, its his dad's. Hes just showing off..
      02-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #208
DirrtysAnchez335i
BeAsT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw 335i

drive safe... and dont give rides to anybody there gonna get that beast dirrrrrty.... congrats bro...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #209
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Agreed...

Quote:
I don't think anyone said they wouldn't want an M3... but rather at that age it would make WAY more sense to trade it for a 335i coupe or even a 328i. Virtually any new BMW is still very quick for an inexperience 16 year old and they'd probably still think that was plenty fast and honestly might not even be able to tell much of a difference in power. That way you can have plenty of fun and save the rest of the money for college or whatever. Because when you start off already up in M3 range its hard get any satisfaction unless your next car is even faster still.

My opinion is start off in the slower range and work your way up in order to get both the experience and appreciation for power/fun. It's just not very sensible in any aspect. You get much more satisfaction and respect for something that you slowly build up to, but anyways, i'll get off my soapbox now.
A little late on the advice but, well said nonetheless.

I don't know, maybe I am just getting cranky in my dottage (37, here). That being said, <putsonrainbootsandwhitietighties> "You kids get OFF my damn lawn!" </putsonrainbootsandwhitietighties>
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #210
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I'm jealous! Congratulations. Have fun and enjoy but get some instruction on the track, drive responsibly, don't get distracted, and learn to make good decisions.

Don't let this happen to you. (Read the whole thread. It's long but worth it.) I'd hate to read something like that again.
      02-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #211
Dan73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ↑ Not that ↑

I have to say that your parents are idiots. I say getting a kid a nice car is fine, but getting them a powerful car is another story.

As some other people said you're 16 we all thought we were responsible, good drivers, blah blah blah. You will fuck up eventually, we all have, and you will too. Either because of inexperience, or just because you're bored and want to push the car, or something.

Be careful.
      02-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #212
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post

for those of you that are saying "this kid is going to kill himself". i want to let you know that im a very calm, not hot headed, responsible kid.

Thats what the kid with a M5 said before he crashed and ended his life!!! Your parents are not to smart 16yrs old and 414hp do not mix!!! Its just a matter of time. So you can not fool me about being calm and responsible at 16!!!!! Respect the car and the power and do not street race!!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #213
SnMalone
Second Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: SG 09 E91

i think your parents actually dont really know what they did to you. i think this is rediculous, also to get such en expensive car for 16th birthday. sorry, just my 2 cents.
buying an m3 for cash you earned hard is a completely different thing than just getting it as a birthday present...that relation is just wrong...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #214
jayjaybelbel
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: frozen red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
for those of you that are saying "this kid is going to kill himself". i want to let you know that im a very calm, not hot headed, responsible kid.

Thats what the kid with a M5 said before he crashed and ended his life!!! Your parents are not to smart 16yrs old and 414hp do not mix!!! Its just a matter of time. So you can not fool me about being calm and responsible at 16!!!!! Respect the car and the power and do not street race!!!!
Just finished reading this post....i can't believe it i feel bad for the family..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #215
///Monster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Haha sweet! Treat it right

Living the Dream
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #216
///Monster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:

I'm 18 and I feel like I have way to nice of a car for my age. Of course I treat my car with respect and take extremely good care of it. However I should still be driving a VW

Living the Dream
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #217
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Let this dude have fun in the m3, everyone else should just chill and stfu.

Jeez, I can't believe such threads can generate 11 page response.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #218
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
Let this dude have fun in the m3, everyone else should just chill and stfu.

Jeez, I can't believe such threads can generate 11 page response.
But I do think the ones warning him to be careful are important.
      02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #219
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking Congrats on the M3 Dude

Since you can't drive it might as well talk your parents into some mods while you wait. Once you can drive look out for the haters the ones that like to key your cars and don't be so quick to want to park in the school parking lot you got the Haters that like to put the door dings in your car so park it safe just something for you to keep in your young mind. enjoy your M3 your the man well at least young man :lol

Oh and one more thing when you can drive make sure you drive safe and drive to arrive don't be tempted by the good old boy pick-up trucks with headers or the riced out cars with the coke can exhaust , "YOU KNOW YOU CAN TAKE THEM" ....Don't be a Hero you have nothing to prove... You have a M3..... nuf said.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #220
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I'll be the one asshole on the boards. It ain't about anything other than no one can appreciate money unless you went without it. I was raised in an upper middle class home, I always had a car to drive (not a nice one mind you, but not a dump of shit either) and I got to go on a nice family vacation once a year. I always worked though, but lets be honest, no matter how much I worked I was no way going to feed, cloth myself and buy a car, and insure it and pay for college, so I was lucky to have parents to pay for school.

Despite me working hard my whole life, it wasn't until law school and the years following building my business and many months barely paying my bills that I really appreciated money and its what made the purchase of my e92 335i and soon my e92 //M3 so wonderful: I had earned it and I appreciated it.

Listen, congrats on your car, but though I will have the money to buy my kid a car such as an //M3, he will be stuck with much, much less of a car and if he is good, and responsible, he can take my or my wife's nice car out for a day or evening date.

Cheers,
Mark
QFT...

I know I went way back to quote something, but reading through the thread this stuck out to me the most.

My family has never been well off. Everyone in my family has had to work hard, typically manual labor, to make money. I am the first one in my whole family to go to college. Luckily, I busted my butt and did well enough in school to get a full scholarship to the Military Academy. I am going to continue my education and once my career in the military is over I am going to find myself a good job.

When I was 16 my dad let me use his 1994 Chevy Blazer to drive to school in. It was the best thing ever. I loved it so much. Being from the Philadelphia region, winter time was always a pain. With my car, I was able to get through the snow to school, practice, and work if we weren't off. I always got to laugh as the rich kids with their tricked out 2 wheel drive expensive cars had to wait in the cold until their parents came to pick them up.

My first real car was my current car, a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It has served me well. It still runs great, has great gas mileage, and gets me to and from where ever I want to go.

I've recently gotten into these forums, and I'm searching right now to buy an E46 M3. I just love the style and the look of that car (not to mention it's a M3!) I'm stationed in Germany (amazing), but I want a US spec M3 to take home with me. I plan on buying one when I find it for a decent deal.

A friend and I got quite a scare in high school when he decided to buy a used '98 eclipse turbo. The car had high mileage, but was very well maintained and had about 450 horsepower from modifications. We were driving back from the movies one Saturday and he decided to open it up on the highway to show me what it could do. I felt the force kick in and it felt incredible. The adrenaline rush was sick. Before we knew it, there was a traffic jam on the highway ahead of us and he wasn't quite ready for it. He slammed the brakes as hard as he could out of instinct to just STOP the car. We skid out sideways, then around. We did a 180 and his back end slammed into a car that was stopped. Luckily no one was in the back seat, the whole back window shattered and poured glass into the backseat. The car was so messed up we couldn't drive it home. Luckily no one was hurt. A lady sitting in the car we hit had some minor cuts. It's a good thing we weren't going too fast by the time he hit the brakes. I honestly don't even remember how fast it was when he hit the brakes, I was so scared I shut my eyes...

Your M3 can go MUCH faster. The new technology and power of that car is amazing. Please be safe. I guarantee you will hit something. Every new driver SHOULD hit something. The only way you can learn is by making mistakes. Please don't let that mistake be at 150 mph.

Congrats on your car!

EDIT: Oh and BTW, I got into quite a few accidents in my Blazer, haha... Nothing serious, just stupid new driving accidents
Appreciate 0