BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
is eric mobile? or lucci?
both are mobile and both are the best in the game
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

thanks all, I've made contact with eric and envious detail and will most likely go with him...

he's suggested 22ple rather than opticoat....reviews online seem to give opticoat the upper hand in longevity, but 22ple the better look and feel.....

I'm not sure which to go with and will continue to research...this is my DD...my car usually gets washed every two weeks..don't plan on getting my wheels coated, I know most cars should have a good detail every couple of years regardless....the reason I'm looking into OC or even 22ple is for longevity as well as look....decisions decisions...anyone care to chime in...I know shuggs has used both and read his post previously about it....hmmm

Last edited by geneatals; 06-01-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
thanks all, I've made contact with eric and envious detail and will most likely go with him...

he's suggested 22ple rather than opticoat....reviews online seem to give opticoat the upper hand in longevity, but 22ple the better look and feel.....

I'm not sure which to go with and will continue to research...this is my DD...my car usually gets washed every two weeks..don't plan on getting my wheels coated, I know most cars should have a good detail every 1 or 2 years....the reason I'm looking into OC or even 22ple is for longevity as well as look....decisions decision...anyone care to chime in...I know shuggs has used both and read his post previously about it....hmmm
22ple is a newer product without any real longevity tests so far

OptiCoat has been around for a while with lots of people posting reviews after having it for awhile. They have their own forum and a pretty good following. They even offer a warranty with certain installers. (extra cost)

I went with OptiCoat (no warranty). Once it wears off I may switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

thanks fastmike...

booked with eric for july..will research a bit more before deciding between the 2..but I'm honestly leaning towards OC as I think it will fit my needs better and also has been around a bit longer so longevity reviews are there....
      06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
22ple is a newer product without any real longevity tests so far

OptiCoat has been around for a while with lots of people posting reviews after having it for awhile. They have their own forum and a pretty good following. They even offer a warranty with certain installers. (extra cost)

I went with OptiCoat (no warranty). Once it wears off I may switch.
22ple is a rather "new" product on the market but it has high claims for longevity which I doubt they wouldn't meet. Having said that, I think for the op Opticoat is the best option as alot of people who put opticoat on their cars are ones who are daily driving them. in my eyes 22ple has great protection, nice look, and should be considered as one of the "higher up" type protections offered for paints.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

PM'ed. ...Was mobile earlier so didn't read this post of yours. Hope you've settled on 22PLE.

Def get your wheels Opti-Coated. Even with Hawk pads, you want brake dust to fly off your rims. You should stock up on Sonax Full Effect, if it's not already in your arsenal and pick up a fine mist bug spray, because the Sonax container will make you waste half of what you spray.

I get flamed on here for having the rims Opti-Coated, yet using Sonax. Everyone says it's an overkill. It is, but makes cleaning too easy. Just make sure you don't use an wheel brush, because that will strip off the coating.

Quote:

I'm not sure which to go with and will continue to research...this is my DD...my car usually gets washed every two weeks..don't plan on getting my wheels coated, I know most cars should have a good detail every couple of years regardless....the reason I'm looking into OC or even 22ple is for longevity as well as look....decisions decisions...anyone care to chime in...I know shuggs has used both and read his post previously about it....hmmm
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I'm about to get my new M3 prepped using Opt-coat this weekend. My question is would it be a bad idea to take the m3 on vacation to RI where is would not be garaged for a week right after getting it detailed/opti-coated? I'm not sure if this would be too extreme weather wise without letting it properly cure to the paint.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I got some water spots in my opticoat a few weeks ago and used some Chemical Guys water spot remover. I think it may have removed my opticoat pro on those areas. Does not seem to bead as well anymore. I thought the pro would only come off from buffing the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #31
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I got some water spots in my opticoat a few weeks ago and used some Chemical Guys water spot remover. I think it may have removed my opticoat pro on those areas. Does not seem to bead as well anymore. I thought the pro would only come off from buffing the car.
Cg water spot remover is serious business. When I was looking at finding a water spot remover someone was saying cg's product doesn't have any fillers or anything it's a real water spot remover. I'm pretty sure it has up to medium abrasives in it. I just used it about two weeks ago and literally one wipe got water spots off my paint in the mirror housing. I've washed the car since and the spots haven't come back so it should have polishing capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

My detailer recommended that I look into opti-coat on my car. I have some concerns though about whether the color of the car stays true after treatment of the Opti-Coat. I want to make sure that the hue of my Dakar isn't "affected" by the impact. I just want the car to look as if it were just washed.

Does anyone have any pics of their car post opti-coat? Before and afters are even better.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My detailer recommended that I look into opti-coat on my car. I have some concerns though about whether the color of the car stays true after treatment of the Opti-Coat. I want to make sure that the hue of my Dakar isn't "affected" by the impact. I just want the car to look as if it were just washed.

Does anyone have any pics of their car post opti-coat? Before and afters are even better.
honestly you should be fine. these coatings are only meant to amplify your existing paint and its current condition. that's why the prep work is so important. doubt it will actually alter the look of the color
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #34
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Quote:

it doesn't change the color.here's a before-

and the second one's after-

Last edited by bimdo; 03-29-2016 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:23 AM   #35
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:

I have pics after Opti coat but honestly you'll see more variation in the pictures themselves vs any color change on your paint. It's an optically clear resin.

Have had OptiCoat for over a year now car still looks good. Had the detailer give a touch up polish after one year, good thing you're actually polishing the OptiCoat and not the factory paint. Car beads like fresh wax still.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #36
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have pics after Opti coat but honestly you'll see more variation in the pictures themselves vs any color change on your paint. It's an optically clear resin.

Have had OptiCoat for over a year now car still looks good. Had the detailer give a touch up polish after one year, good thing you're actually polishing the OptiCoat and not the factory paint. Car beads like fresh wax still.
opticoat was reapplied then when you had the touchup...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
honestly you should be fine. these coatings are only meant to amplify your existing paint and its current condition. that's why the prep work is so important. doubt it will actually alter the look of the color
Okay. Have you had it done rjd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
it doesn't change the color.here's a before-

and the second one's after-
Car looks cleannnn, although its hard to tell whether there has been any impact on color. Like fast mike says below, the variation could be in the picture or the color.

Quote:

Good to know. How is it with scratching/abrasions/swirls? More or less resilient then OEM clear coat?

Also does anyone know what the differences are between Opticoat 2.0 and Opticoat Pro. My detailer told me that not many people are licensed to work with Opticoat Pro (he is), but that its better than Opticoat 2.0.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #38
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay. Have you had it done rjd?

Car looks cleannnn, although its hard to tell whether there has been any impact on color. Like fast mike says below, the variation could be in the picture or the color.

Good to know. How is it with scratching/abrasions/swirls? More or less resilient then OEM clear coat?

Also does anyone know what the differences are between Opticoat 2.0 and Opticoat Pro. My detailer told me that not many people are licensed to work with Opticoat Pro (he is), but that its better than Opticoat 2.0.
I haven't had it on my car but like someone else mentioned it is a clear coating. Coatings are only meant to enhance the finish, not alter it. Pro has a faster curing time and is thicker than 2.0, that's why only authorized detailers are allowed to apply it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #39
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

does pro last "longer"?

also, do some detailers apply with product on the car still (post paint correction) or do they clean all product(s) off before applying opticoat, thereby nulllifying said paint correction...
      01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #40
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
does pro last "longer"?

also, do some detailers apply with product on the car still (post paint correction) or do they clean all product(s) off before applying opticoat, thereby nulllifying said paint correction...
Pro is thicker than 2.0 so technically it should last longer but I don't think it really matters. 2.0 has been proven to withstand almost anything and go for a very long time. Most people would want to get a polish in after 2 years anyway. Before opticoat is applied the surface must be perfectly prepped and free of imperfections so that it can properly bond to the surface.
Appreciate 0