BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #177
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Heard it on two more cars today. One with 43k miles and one with 12.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #178
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Heard it on two more cars today. One with 43k miles and one with 12.
This is really puzzling...seems to affect all model years and mileage. What is surprising me is metal constricts when cold so everything should be nice and tight BUT it seems the opposite is happening? There should be no slack in chain when cold.
      10-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #179
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Not sure. What I've noticed is that it religiously happens after the RPM's drop.

So you start it and it goes up past idle RPM obviously, and then right when it drops there it is.

Runs amazing.. that's for sure. One part of me says this is normal, and the other part of me is worried about it... Talk about internal conflict

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #180
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Add me to the list of those who experience this. E92 made in October 2011, sound started around 1000 miles. Had the throttle actuator thing replaced. Don't think it's weather-related because I'm in the tropics.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #181
Yamdan
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the same a bit now and then BUT Ive noticed as long as I have the oil level at max it seem like it doesnt happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #182
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
This is really puzzling...seems to affect all model years and mileage. What is surprising me is metal constricts when cold so everything should be nice and tight BUT it seems the opposite is happening? There should be no slack in chain when cold.
If it is the chain making the noise, it would be a result of the tensioners. If they are allowing the chain to go slack, it would be more slack than the cooling of the chain could compensate for.

That said, my service record doesn't mention anything about the chain or tensioners, just the "inlet and outlet adjusting units". I'm not a VANOS expert but I don't that they effect the chain tension.
      10-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #183
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK so I want to rule out the lubrication issue before taking the M to the dealer, seeing how I started her up again today after 2 days of sitting and on an incline and the noise was there, but barely audible. Drove to the dealer to get a liter of oil and put half in the car, as the reading said I was at the halfway mark. I will report if I hear the noise again in the morning.

NOW...when I went to open the oil cap, this is what I saw. Im fairly convinced its due to this ridiculous 15k drain intervals.

Please let me know if you guys have seen this crap (literally) insode your engine and if there is some sort of cleaner I can use to get rid of it all. It is caked on the inside and does not appear to be metallic in nature. Looks like the oil or whatever is inside the oil (composition) has cooked and bubbled.

10-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #184
m3an
Banned
Rep

yes the "copper" coloring is def due to the longer intervals but it hasn't been proven detrimental as I know as someone did a comparo on the e46 cars and it was the same. Yes it's ridiculous that when BMW does the maintenance all of the sudden the oil goes to 15k but in reality its not awful. I do 7500k as I feel comfortable but you must remember that all these cars have the maintenance plan and BMW is pretty stringent w/ it. So unless you're getting a car from a fanatic that changed the oil from new, or buying a new car, almost all cars will have that color on the components. I wouldn't be too concerned. Def clean that gunk out though, but I am assuming that was around the cap recess and is just build up over time?
Anyways all you can do is now change the oil on a better interval but it is what it is, and I wouldn't worry as there's not much you can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #185
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an
yes the "copper" coloring is def due to the longer intervals but it hasn't been proven detrimental as I know as someone did a comparo on the e46 cars and it was the same. Yes it's ridiculous that when BMW does the maintenance all of the sudden the oil goes to 15k but in reality its not awful. I do 7500k as I feel comfortable but you must remember that all these cars have the maintenance plan and BMW is pretty stringent w/ it. So unless you're getting a car from a fanatic that changed the oil from new, or buying a new car, almost all cars will have that color on the components. I wouldn't be too concerned. Def clean that gunk out though, but I am assuming that was around the cap recess and is just build up over time?
Anyways all you can do is now change the oil on a better interval but it is what it is, and I wouldn't worry as there's not much you can do.
Thank you. I can now stop freaking out.
I bough the car used from the dealer and by the looks of it, it was not an enthusiast who previously owned it.
From what I can see the whole inside is covered in this stuff, and yes it was by the oil fill cap, you can see where I scraped it off by the first pic (area where the engine color is not gold). I'm worried about this crap potentially clogging oil passages.
So no cleaners that can help? I do plan on doing the 7500 oil change instead of their recommended one.
      10-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #186
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Following up on my theory on lubrication (insert jokes here)...the car started right up this morning with no grind or slack noise. That half quart did the trick and I can (crossed fingers) safely say in my case topping off the oil helped.
      10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #187
Yamdan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Following up on my theory on lubrication (insert jokes here)...the car started right up this morning with no grind or slack noise. That half quart did the trick and I can (crossed fingers) safely say in my case topping off the oil helped.
Same as for mine
A bit more oil and sound gone
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #188
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

^I want to give this a try also. Are you guys going over the Max line? My oil level is already at Max and wonder how much more oil/margin i can add before computer says too much oil and I have to drain. Another scenario where a dipstick would make life so much easier (rant over).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #189
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
^I want to give this a try also. Are you guys going over the Max line? My oil level is already at Max and wonder how much more oil/margin i can add before computer says too much oil and I have to drain. Another scenario where a dipstick would make life so much easier (rant over).
My e-dipstick said i was right at the halway mark, so I added exactly half a bottle of oil. These engines are VERY picky, its bad enough by gf is picky, i dont need another one doing this to me too
      10-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #190
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK so I want to rule out the lubrication issue before taking the M to the dealer, seeing how I started her up again today after 2 days of sitting and on an incline and the noise was there, but barely audible. Drove to the dealer to get a liter of oil and put half in the car, as the reading said I was at the halfway mark. I will report if I hear the noise again in the morning.

NOW...when I went to open the oil cap, this is what I saw. Im fairly convinced its due to this ridiculous 15k drain intervals.

Please let me know if you guys have seen this crap (literally) insode your engine and if there is some sort of cleaner I can use to get rid of it all. It is caked on the inside and does not appear to be metallic in nature. Looks like the oil or whatever is inside the oil (composition) has cooked and bubbled.
Mine has that gunk too. The previous owner was only changing the oil only when it was free (every 15K). My last oil change was after 7800 miles on the oil and it showed very low TBN and high wear metals associated with the bearings. 15K oil change intervals are nuts if you ask me. I've got another one coming up (6K miles on the oil), hopefully it's better.
      10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #191
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I disagree. They have the copper (well, more like tan) coloring on the inside of the valve cover when brand new. It's not from extended intervals.

My car has 45K and has had the mileage changed at no more than 7,500mi intervals. Sometimes sooner (such as in after a track event). My car was purchased brand new and had 2 or 3 miles on it at delivery.

When I open my oil cap, I also have sometime similar to what was posted a few posts above. Looks like the inner coating is coming off a little bit, and I think the track use may have been what exacerbated this. Mine doesn't look anywhere near as bad as what was posted above, but there is no doubt that this plating is coming off.

I'm going to try to add half a quart of oil and see if that changes the noise, mine is at the middle mark now so it is a good time to test and see.

M3PO: Can you please forward me your oil analysis to my email? I had mine checked and the TBN was perfect even after heavy tracking. Everything looked good other than slightly high lead content. So I'll have to see at the next check if the lead levels dropped.

I'll report back on if adding the half quart makes a difference for the noise.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #192
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
Oil splash plus condensation cooling on the cap and in the recesses. I've seen this on about every oil fill cap known to man. I would not worry about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #193
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
M3PO: Can you please forward me your oil analysis to my email? I had mine checked and the TBN was perfect even after heavy tracking. Everything looked good other than slightly high lead content. So I'll have to see at the next check if the lead levels dropped.

The high bearing wear metals are hopefully due to the 15K oil drain intervals from the previous owner. Hopefully, it will "flush out" and they will look better with shorter intervals. I can't explain the extremely low TBN after only 50% of the recommended miles. I will be doing another one here shortly (6K miles on the oil).
      10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #194
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post

The high bearing wear metals are hopefully due to the 15K oil drain intervals from the previous owner. Hopefully, it will "flush out" and they will look better with shorter intervals. I can't explain the extremely low TBN after only 50% of the recommended miles. I will be doing another one here shortly (6K miles on the oil).
Thanks for posting. Mine showed 44 on lead, 4 on copper, and 11 on iron (6,200 miles on oil). Everything else is very close to your numbers (other than sodium which was high on mine, maybe living by the beach?). Oil was sent out the day after an extreme tracking event in 105+ temps and 300+ oil temps for 30 min at a time, I'd say 6 times that day. That oil was previously tracked once before too. TBN on mine was 2.4. So hopefully that's the end of the wear, I'll send it back at an interval of 6K miles this time.

I looked for a quart of oil but am all out, so no luck on adding a half quart to see if this solves the noise issue at all. The sound this morning was much less audible than it usually is. Also still never heard back from dealer. Car never ceases to impress, so I can't complain. Traction always a problem in 2nd gear even with 275's on the back and 11" wheels.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #195
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting. Mine showed 44 on lead, 4 on copper, and 11 on iron (6,200 miles on oil). Everything else is very close to your numbers (other than sodium which was high on mine, maybe living by the beach?). Oil was sent out the day after an extreme tracking event in 105+ temps and 300+ oil temps for 30 min at a time, I'd say 6 times that day. That oil was previously tracked once before too. TBN on mine was 2.4. So hopefully that's the end of the wear, I'll send it back at an interval of 6K miles this time.
Sounds like we are in the same boat. There is no track time on mine though. The copper may be present in the oil when new based on an analysis one member did of the oil when new; so it may not all be bad news. TBN of 2.4 is also low, especially after only 6200 miles. The oil will be out of detergent looonnnngggg before 15K miles and you will start to develop sludge.
      10-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #196
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Sounds like we are in the same boat. There is no track time on mine though. The copper may be present in the oil when new based on an analysis one member did of the oil when new; so it may not all be bad news. TBN of 2.4 is also low, especially after only 6200 miles. The oil will be out of detergent looonnnngggg before 15K miles and you will start to develop sludge.
Well, they claimed that TBN of 1.0 is low on my report. I'm not overly concerned about that. The oil sample I sent out is by far the most abused oil that ever ran through my engine. 300F temps for extended periods of track time is already hot weather is probably what dropped that down.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #197
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, they claimed that TBN of 1.0 is low on my report. I'm not overly concerned about that. The oil sample I sent out is by far the most abused oil that ever ran through my engine. 300F temps for extended periods of track time is already hot weather is probably what dropped that down.
1.0 is very low, a cut off of sorts. When you are not even to 50% of the recommended drain interval and you are approaching 1.0 very quickly, that's alarming. It's fine for those of us who change the oil at ~7500 but it's shocking to me that BMW recommends running a 1/3 or more of the drain cycle with no detergents.
      10-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #198
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I was going to fill up with a half quart of oil today before starting but realized that I used all 9 quarts that I had in storage on the last oil change.

Earlier I was running errands and needed gas, stopped by a 76 for the first time in probably a year (I religiously use Chevron). As I was walking out with my bottle of water from their mini-mart, I couldn't believe my eyes as a saw Castrol 10w-60 sitting on the shelf (the exact same bottle that BMW gives you). After the initial shock that they actually carried this, I figured since the dealer sells them for close to twenty bucks that they would sell it for around there too.

Asked the clerk how much they were, she replied ten dollars. Two please. Thank you

Most convenient purchase ever.

Appreciate 0