BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Looking for emissions legal throaty sound

I've searched these forums and others and I've had a hard time finding a definitive answer. I came to the M3 from mustangs, which I've owned and driven for 20 years. I love the sound of an American V8 and want something like that from the M3.

I definitely don't like the raspy sound that I hear on Italian cars and it seems that a lot of the aftermarket systems mimic that.

Emissions testing here is done annually so it looks like I'm limited to a slip on system. As far as going for a throaty, non-raspy sound I've watched a lot of videos but obviously it's difficult to appreciate what they sound like on my laptop. Gintani seems to be the closest.

So am I really limited to a Gintani slip on or cat-back system? Are there full exhausts that are emissions legal? This car is a DD/garage queen but will see track time occasionally (maybe 1-2x per year).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
You are not limited to just slip on. Depending on how emissions works in TN you might be fine. As long as you run a tune or akra-r to remove the CEL light for no cats you will be fine.

In Chicago, there is no sniffer test, but they hook up to the OBDII port to check if you have any lights on. If it is the same you will be fine.

Here is what I am running, the full Evolve E-Tronic Exhaust

I love this exhaust because it allows you to have two different exhaust notes for the price of one.

But there are plenty of exhaust you can purchase to make the sound change, for example the Eisenmann race which I know is really loud if that is what you are looking to do without having to remove your primary cats
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I've searched these forums and others and I've had a hard time finding a definitive answer. I came to the M3 from mustangs, which I've owned and driven for 20 years. I love the sound of an American V8 and want something like that from the M3.

I definitely don't like the raspy sound that I hear on Italian cars and it seems that a lot of the aftermarket systems mimic that.

Emissions testing here is done annually so it looks like I'm limited to a slip on system. As far as going for a throaty, non-raspy sound I've watched a lot of videos but obviously it's difficult to appreciate what they sound like on my laptop. Gintani seems to be the closest.

So am I really limited to a Gintani slip on or cat-back system? Are there full exhausts that are emissions legal? This car is a DD/garage queen but will see track time occasionally (maybe 1-2x per year).

Thanks
There are no full systems that are emissions legal. Even if it an OBD based test, you will fail the cat-readiness portion of the test. You can, however, change out the mid-pipe to one that removes the secondary cats. This is not bolt-on, however. You will have to cut the exhaust just past the stock primary cats, then weld the aftermarket midpipe in. You can then add the cat-back of your choice. This will give more hp than just a catback alone (which really only changes the sound), and you can pick products to custom tailor the sound.