BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Also OP, I would watch what you say on here.
      02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
That lawyer doesn't know every outcome, especially it happening this weekend and he doesn't have all the info yet. Which is why he's came here, because the lawyer had nothing to tell him yet. Lawyers aren't there to put false hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
hey collin....

NO
If he sat down with a lawyer and told him the story 100%, the lawyer is going to be able to give you the most likely outcome based on your rendition of the facts. Until he has access to all of the prosecutions evidence, he can't give you a better idea than that. If the dash cam shows a cloud of smoke coming out of the passenger window as the car pulls over, for instance, you're not likely to get a plea out of it. Make your objectives clear to the lawyer - if you don't mind heavier fines in leau of the damage to your record, make that obvious to him so he can use that as leaverage when negotiating with the prosecuter.

My advice is to start calling around, TODAY, and schedule as many meetings with lawyers who specialize in this type of case. OP, your buddy will likely know other lawyers in the offending county. Ask HIM whether he thinks representing you or referring you is the better option. Bring every piece of evidence with you to the meeting. Meet with at least 3 people.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Draven.. what a tremendous avatar.. Really.. really attractive..

Thanks. Yours just gave me a boner.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
Quote:
That lawyer doesn't know every outcome, especially it happening this weekend and he doesn't have all the info yet. Which is why he's came here, because the lawyer had nothing to tell him yet. Lawyers aren't there to put false hope.
Quote:
hey collin....

NO
If he sat down with a lawyer and told him the story 100%, the lawyer is going to be able to give you the most likely outcome based on your rendition of the facts. Until he has access to all of the prosecutions evidence, he can't give you a better idea than that. If the dash cam shows a cloud of smoke coming out of the passenger window as the car pulls over, for instance, you're not likely to get a plea out of it. Make your objectives clear to the lawyer - if you don't mind heavier fines in leau of the damage to your record, make that obvious to him so he can use that as leaverage when negotiating with the prosecuter.

My advice is to start calling around, TODAY, and schedule as many meetings with lawyers who specialize in this type of case. OP, your buddy will likely know other lawyers in the offending county. Ask HIM whether he thinks representing you or referring you is the better option. Bring every piece of evidence with you to the meeting. Meet with at least 3 people.
They avoid false hope like doctors, so someone who has experienced his situation personally a few times will tell him more thank lawyer wants to.

I'm not saying im better than a lawyer, I just know they try to say as little as possible until they have all the info.
      02-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Quote:
They avoid false hope like doctors, so someone who has experienced his situation personally a few times will tell him more thank lawyer wants to.

I'm not saying im better than a lawyer, I just know they try to say as little as possible until they have all the info.
I see what you mean, and I agree with that. They'll tell you the most-likely worst-case senario, and if they're able to do better, good.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:

Ok Internet lawyer
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok Internet lawyer
Real lawyer wouldn't touch this thread, they aren't getting paid. So internet lawyer is all he will get.
      02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

If only yomamma was still here...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #31
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Real lawyer wouldn't touch this thread, they aren't getting paid. So internet lawyer is all he will get.
well they wouldn't give advice...and in truth most advice would be crap because there are so many variables in this type of situation..from the judge, how much of a hard ass the prosecuting attorney is, OP's record, the list goes on and on
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #32
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
well they wouldn't give advice...and in truth most advice would be crap because there are so many variables in this type of situation..from the judge, how much of a hard ass the prosecuting attorney is, OP's record, the list goes on and on
Correct. If someone wants to look up laws, I was going from a law standpoint on what I think will happen, plus a lot of personal experience. Less than a half/ounce is a misdemeanor, assuming from his fear and thread it's his first arrest, I gathered what I believe will happen.

Unsupervised probation, 24 hours community service, and deferred prosecution(which mean you cant get in trouble during that year OP).

But, no lawyer, or frequent resident of Holiday Inn Express.
      02-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
No priors right? Just chill. You have a lawyer and they won't throw the book at you.

Later move to California...k?

Getting it expunged from your record might be possible after you complete your sentence or whatever...check with your lawyer because it might be best to get this through a plea deal.
I do have a prior - from when I was 17. But it was not drug related and its been sealed for 5+ years now.

And BTW california not sounding so far from reality right now.. at least after this is over I will definitely consider it.

As for expunction - the only way that will happen is if I can get it down to a class c (its class B right now) or if I get a pre-trial diversion. Again, with an attorney without connections in this county, these may be hard to get. maybe not. i duno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
are you seriously asking the OT of a bmw forum this question before calling a lawyer? U still high?
i called my lawyer before even calling my girlfriend when I was in the lockup. I thought maybe there are ppl here who have been thru this or maybe some lawyers or cops that could help.

and maybe i just want to vent god dammit i cant very much do that out loud here at work

Quote:
he's just worried..totally understandable..
thank you - some one gets it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Bigger question is what sexual favors you should be demanding of your GF since her stupidity is what got you pulled over in the first place.
man - right now i'm trying my best to make her feel like its not her fault (which it kind of is). she has been crying and in tears since the whole thing happened. and we were kind of fighting before all of this went down and she feels like crap already anyway. Just thinking about how bad she feels makes it even worse for me.

BUT - once my mind has cleared and my positive outlook on life returns I will definitely be thinking of some nasty things she will have to do for me as recompense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
On the one hand, I've been in a similar situation and had to put my entire life on hold for a year while I got it sorted out.

On the other hand, you can't teach people to accept the unlikely potential consequences of their actions before they're faced with them. What happened to you was unlikely yet possible and you're now having to deal with it. You'll find this experience was a blessing later, as it will teach you to behave and not risk your your career, life, and goals, over an hour or two of being high. I was pretty risk-taking before my own personal experience and I'm EXTREMELY risk adverse now. The consequences just aren't worth the risk. Think of it this way: what if your employer drug tested you today, and you lost your job for it. How foolish would you feel giving up your future and your career over weed? Is it worth it, for either you or your girl, to risk your entire futures over some high?

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to preach to the OP, but I hope this message gets across to everyone else taking risks with their careers in various ways. My experience taught me to live my life in a very transparent way. If I can't tell my parents, my boss, and my girlfriend, I don't do it.
You have a very good point here. There are a million things I could have done differently to prevent this. Looking forward I will definitely be more careful. Funny thing is - I have gone on and lectured my gf so many times to be more careful and not do risky things and in the end we were both careless and I am now paying for both of our mistakes.

Quote:
Also OP, I would watch what you say on here.
Duly noted

Quote:
Quote:
Correct. If someone wants to look up laws, I was going from a law standpoint on what I think will happen, plus a lot of personal experience. Less than a half/ounce is a misdemeanor, assuming from his fear and thread it's his first arrest, I gathered what I believe will happen.

Unsupervised probation, 24 hours community service, and deferred prosecution(which mean you cant get in trouble during that year OP).

But, no lawyer, or frequent resident of Holiday Inn Express.
hahaha no such thing as unsupervised probation in texas bro. Especially in this county. Im familiar with deferred adjudication and what goes with it.

You guys are right though - I guess what I was looking for here was some peace of mind and a place to vent and people to tell me that its going to be okay. but in the end this will accomplish nothing. I need to get on the grind and address all of this before its crunch time. I just dont know if I should continue my search for better avenues of income or just sit tight.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

"avenues of income" hmmm, you might want to PM me for those questions lol
      02-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #35
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
"avenues of income" hmmm, you might want to PM me for those questions lol
lolwut....

btw - lmfao at your sig hahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #36
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
lolwut....

btw - lmfao at your sig hahaha
Didn't mean what I thought it did, never mind.
      02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Mitigate as much of the potential consequences at your current employer as possible, and sit tight at least until the outcome of your case. Don't tell anyone at work anything, period. They don't need to know, and it WILL change the office/work perception of you regardless of circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #38
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Collin has this shit locked down
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #39
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'd also dump that girl. One day you'll realize she's trash, and ruined your life. and had a 3-some with 2 of your friends
      02-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #40
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Wrong place at the wrong time. And I wouldn't post shit like this on a public forum. But that's just me...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
You said that shit was yours so your gf wouldn't get in trouble? Hahaha so retarded. Have fun explaining that to your next gf if this one doesn't work out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #42
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
1. Most cops will use your lack of cooperation as probable cause.
And do you a favor by making it easy to get any case dismissed. Denying a search doesn't give probable cause, and there is an ungodly amount of precedent.

Always say no to searches, period.
      02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
And do you a favor by making it easy to get any case dismissed. Denying a search doesn't give probable cause, and there is an ungodly amount of precedent.

Always say no to searches, period.
A "vehicle search" is an exception to the warrant requirement. Carroll v. United States, 267 US. 132 (1925). So basically once they pulled him over for swerving and smelled drugs (aka probable cause to believe the car contained drugs)..he was effed. Cops will often ask to search so they don't have to prove probable cause, as consent is another exception to the warrant requirement and often people freely give it. But i agree, just say no.....................to searches. You're also right though when you said saying no to a search doesn't create probable cause.

Last edited by infinitekidM2C; 02-20-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much