BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Advice Needed

I am dying to get an E90 but I have reservations about taking the plunge. I honestly can't afford a new one (school teacher) so I'm looking at 2008s or 09s. I'm worried about upkeep costs and potential problems the E90s have. How often do they go through tires? Are the CPO's worth the premium? I like the idea of the DSG (wife) but I wonder about maintenance costs, like replacing the clutches. Any insight on these topics or others would be greatly appreciated. I want the car but I already have one expensive obsession (cycling) and don't want to sacrifice my family's quality of life. If these topics are covered in the forum please link to them. thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
F80.Ferg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [8.34]
2012 VW Jetta  [0.00]
2011 Ducati 848 EVO  [10.00]
do it!! i just got an 08 e90 with 17k on it! couldnt be happier !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

If you really want it, get it. It is a great car... LOTS of fun. But if you already think your budget might be getting tight, then don't do it. The gas alone could be a drastic change for you.
Good luck in your decision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolie View Post
I am dying to get an E90 but I have reservations about taking the plunge. I honestly can't afford a new one (school teacher) so I'm looking at 2008s or 09s. I'm worried about upkeep costs and potential problems the E90s have. How often do they go through tires? Are the CPO's worth the premium? I like the idea of the DSG (wife) but I wonder about maintenance costs, like replacing the clutches. Any insight on these topics or others would be greatly appreciated. I want the car but I already have one expensive obsession (cycling) and don't want to sacrifice my family's quality of life. If these topics are covered in the forum please link to them. thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
If you can't afford new, which is perfectly fine, are you stretching to get the used as well?

Also, if you're worried about maintenance why not stop by your local dealer and talk to the SA and see what the book rates are on the things that most concern you? At least you will have an idea of what things cost if they need replacing.

As far as tires, that's on you. Many factors determine how often you will need new ones. Also, since there is a wide array of tires out there, the prices will change depending on quality and size.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

You're better off getting the 08 or 09 considering someone else (people like me) have already eaten up the depreciation. If you decide to get one-would suggest getting a CPO car as the warranty is worth the price of admission and less sleepless nights.

Getting the E90 is a practical proposition considering it can seat 4 comfortably, has plenty of room in the trunk for goodies and yes-you can install a bike rack up top to go cycling.

Maintenance wise-hearsay and of course valid experience from scores of owners confirm that the S65 V8 engine and the car (at least during the production run) has been problem free save for a few hit or misses. Now this is quite unlike the E46 M3 cars which had plenty of flaws straight from the factory. Check the E46 section for more insight into those issues.

Is the M3 a sound financial move? No. Is the price of admission worth it? Absolutely!...provided your expectations are realistic and of course fully understand what it means to drive an M car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
i call you a smart buyer: 08 with low miles. Someone else took the plunge on depreciation. Someone else gorged down "gas gazzler tax".
Bon chance on your shopping.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I had the same dilemma a few months ago....is it worth it? New or used? Should I?

Answers:
1) Yes
2) Like scores of others, I let someone else take the depreciation hit and got in for $40k.
3) Heck yes! One of the best purchases I've made in a long, long time. The car is phenomenal and I'm glad I decided to take the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Doc V.
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 964 Turbo

"Do you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man filled with regrets, waiting to die alone?"

Buy an E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
if you can't afford it, or it will make you live outside your means, then you shouldn't get one. Even with a CPO one, BMW will not cover everything and maintenance costs can be expensive, especially repairs. DCT, so far, has been a reliable transmission, especially compared to its predecessor, the SMG. As for tires, you can expect to go through them every 10-15 thousand miles, depending on your driving style and brand tire. Don't forget winter tire set up if you live in a place that snows. But seems like in GA, you won't have that problem.

Don't forget gas costs, since the car is a V8 and consumes gas with having a low mpg.

is having a M3 fun? yes, absolutely. Is it a wise financial decision? Probably Not. So its up to you to pick your priorities

This is a M3 forum, so you can expect a lot of "yes - go buy it" from the crowd. I encourage you to do the math, and ensure your buying an M3 doesn't come at the expense of family life, and an undue financial burden.

Good luck in your journey!
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 10-13-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

its worth it for sure. i bought mine slightly used and havent had any problems and the only expenses so far have all been modification related. if you can stay away from that you should be fine and very happy.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Thanks. for all the feedback. I feel like it is now (not too distant future) or never.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

well in that case you have an obligation to get one.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Not to worry, this car is build for the Autobahn and high speeds, speeds you will never ever travel for long distances (thinking about over taking cars, trucks etc.). Unless you plan to track the car.

My first ///M3 was a 2002 purchased in 2004, I had this car for almost 7 years and put some 60,000 plus KM on it. Purchased from a BMW dealer the car was Certified.

If you proceed with it I recommend you get all of the maintenance history and documents. If it is a private sale I strongly recommend you have a BMW dealership inspect the car this then will tell you if any maintenance is required in the near future.

Good luck, I know you will love it.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

The E90 will put a smile on your face every time you fire it up - the finest machine I ever hope to own....

That said, you'll be surprised by how thirsty this girl is. Do I get on it a bit? Duh, it's an M3. But the gas mileage is atrocious. Can I afford it? Yes. But I continue to be awed by how quickly this car can go through a tank of premium gas.

One other note - there are some build dates to avoid in '08 and early '09 due to the occasional main bearing issue which has been documented in this forum.

Good luck in your search. You'l love the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

"there are some build dates to avoid in '08 and early '09 due to the occasional main bearing issue which has been documented in this forum."

On this subject see below thread titled 'clicking sound is back' and several others going back a couple of years.
Appreciate 0