BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
stevespools
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Bra or Braless?

Do you track junkies put a bra on for track days? I`m heading to the track in a few weeks (first time) and am worried about stone chips. As a novice, how fast do you think I would be going out there?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

How fast you go depends on what you and/or your instructor is comfortable with and in any case, varies greatly depending on the track.
As far as the bra, that would be that last thing I would be worried about on the track. Much more likely to get chips out on the highway. I assume you are taking some kind of instruction, not an actual competitive race, in which case you shouldn't be spending much time that close to other cars. As opposed to multi-lane freeway driving at 75 with cars and trucks within feet of you all around. The race track is likely much safer than the freeway, at any speed, for you, your car and your paint job.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
How fast you go depends on what you and/or your instructor is comfortable with and in any case, varies greatly depending on the track.
As far as the bra, that would be that last thing I would be worried about on the track. Much more likely to get chips out on the highway. I assume you are taking some kind of instruction, not an actual competitive race, in which case you shouldn't be spending much time that close to other cars. As opposed to multi-lane freeway driving at 75 with car and trucks within feet of you all around. The race track is likely much safer than the freeway, at any speed, for you, your car and your paint job.
thanks, very reassuring! -first time ever on a track, so I`m not sure what to expect. There will definitely be an instructor in the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespools View Post
thanks, very reassuring! -first time ever on a track, so I`m not sure what to expect. There will definitely be an instructor in the car!
I've been to Portland International Raceway several times (w/instructor) and that was where my first experience was. It has a couple of long straights, longer than most road coarses I think, so it's a little unusual in that I was hitting 140 at the breaking point on the front staight and 145 on the back stretch (in my M coupe). I've also been to tracks where 90 or 95 is about the highest you're going to see with a street car. Your instructors are likely used to all levels of experience, so don't worry. Just listen to them and have fun. Be aware, you may be setting yourself up for an addictive, expensive habit.
p.s. One little tip.. Make sure you've emptied out your car. You don't want any crap rolling around in the back seat, trunk, or even the glove box or center console. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

And another little tip for us amateurs who don't have a five point harness...
When you're getting ready to go, cinch down your seatbelt. You can exhale, get it as tight as possible, then kind of jerk it real quick to make the ratchet catch, and if it's tight enough, it'll stay locked. You can also use the seat adjust to fine tune how tight it's holding you in. Then you've got a nice tight seatbelt holding you down. Not as good as a five point harness, but definitely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
loliea
Rep
Drives: i3

Quote:
When you're getting ready to go, cinch down your seatbelt. You can exhale, get it as tight as possible, then kind of jerk it real quick to make the ratchet catch, and if it's tight enough, it'll stay locked. You can also use the seat adjust to fine tune how tight it's holding you in. Then you've got a nice tight seatbelt holding you down. Not as good as a five point harness, but definitely helpful.
That's a nice tip, I'll try that next time.
I was starting to regret having leather seat in my car because at Infineon in tight turn I really had to literally hang on hard to the wheel and dig into the foot rest to stay put on my seat.

stevespools don't worry, I was in the same state of mind for my first track day, but just listen to the instructor, don't look at the speedo (distraction) and make keeping clean lines your top priority.
As you will get more comfortable during the day you will gradually build up speed, but don't expect to fly by and pass everybody on your first day (you will certainly end up in the wall...). In short be humble.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been to Portland International Raceway several times (w/instructor) and that was where my first experience was. It has a couple of long straights, longer than most road coarses I think, so it's a little unusual in that I was hitting 140 at the breaking point on the front staight and 145 on the back stretch (in my M coupe). I've also been to tracks where 90 or 95 is about the highest you're going to see with a street car. Your instructors are likely used to all levels of experience, so don't worry. Just listen to them and have fun. Be aware, you may be setting yourself up for an addictive, expensive habit.
p.s. One little tip.. Make sure you've emptied out your car. You don't want any crap rolling around in the back seat, trunk, or even the glove box or center console. Good luck.
Quote:
great advice - thanks I have a feeling I`m going to become addicted to this - I only wish I would have done some driver schools in my ZHP, which I assume would have been much easier to handle on a track. I`m apprehensive with the M3 because of the horsepower and how expensive this car is, although I will be buying track insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loliea View Post
That's a nice tip, I'll try that next time.
I was starting to regret having leather seat in my car because at Infineon in tight turn I really had to literally hang on hard to the wheel and dig into the foot rest to stay put on my seat.

stevespools don't worry, I was in the same state of mind for my first track day, but just listen to the instructor, don't look at the speedo (distraction) and make keeping clean lines your top priority.
As you will get more comfortable during the day you will gradually build up speed, but don't expect to fly by and pass everybody on your first day (you will certainly end up in the wall...). In short be humble.
thanks - I plan on being very humble, and I don`t care about passing anyone and I definitely don`t want end up in the wall Just want to have fun and acquire some skills.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
As far as the bra, that would be that last thing I would be worried about on the track. Much more likely to get chips out on the highway. I assume you are taking some kind of instruction, not an actual competitive race, in which case you shouldn't be spending much time that close to other cars. As opposed to multi-lane freeway driving at 75 with cars and trucks within feet of you all around. The race track is likely much safer than the freeway, at any speed, for you, your car and your paint job.
couldn't agree more - I have no bra and after 11 track days, not a single stone chip from the track...some from freeway driving though
      09-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

get a bra. cars with r-compound tires can kick up anything on the ground and shoot them right at ya. also i see that you are from PA -- winter salt on highways could be kicked up and be very bad for your car.

i guess sfbimmer13 must always be leading the pack to not get any chips. M Power!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

clearbra
      09-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
clearbra
+1 And some good advice above about going on the track as a newb

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
clearbra
agreed!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
+1 And some good advice above about going on the track as a newb
Quote:
clearbra
did you guys install it yourselves?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Steve, what track are you going to? I'm close to you and have been to a few tracks in the area. I can give you some insight to some of the tracks around here.

I recommend a clear bra, the problem on the track is that sometimes other drivers will over do it a bit and get their tires off the track which then throws crap on to the track which then gets run over by the guy in front of you and onto your car. The problem is magnified when people are running r-compound tires which pick up everything like a big lint roller, although probably not much of a factor in the beginner run group. This doesn't happen a lot but it only takes once.

Last edited by skierman64; 09-21-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Steve, what track are you going to? I'm close to you and have been to a few tracks in the area. I can give you some insight to some of the tracks around here.

I recommend a clear bra, the problem on the track is that sometimes other drivers will over do it a bit and get their tires off the track with then throws crap on to the track which then gets run over by the guy in front of you and onto your car. The problem is magnified when people are running r-compound tires which pick up everything like a big lint roller, although probably not much of a factor in the beginner run group. This doesn't happen a lot but it only takes once.
Pocono Raceway in Long Pond - have you been there?
So it seems the clear bra is a good idea anyway even if it may not help much on the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So it seems the clear bra is a good idea anyway even if it may not help much on the track.
Absolutely! My previous car was also a ZHP. I definitely regreted not having a clear bra on it. It was mystic blue (what a surprise). It looked sandblasted after four years. I had it put on my current ride at the dealer before I drove it off the lot and the same thing is going to happen next month when the M3 gets here... clear bra before I drive it away.
On a side note, I still miss my ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Absolutely! My previous car was also a ZHP. I definitely regreted not having a clear bra on it. It was mystic blue (what a surprise). It looked sandblasted after four years. I had it put on my current ride at the dealer before I drove it off the lot and the same thing is going to happen next month when the M3 gets here... clear bra before I drive it away.
On a side note, I still miss my ZHP.
I will definitely get it then - what was the cost at the dealership?

I still miss my ZHP too! I love the M3, but sometimes it seems a little...too much maybe? My brother bought the ZHP from me so now I have to see it all the time. The first time he pulled into my driveway I wanted to It`s like I broke-up with a chick because I was bored with her, and now my brother`s going out with her and I want her back now - even though I`m dating a supermodel
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Steve, no that's one place I've not driven, only been there for NASCAR races. Obviously you won't be driving the entire tri-oval. I think you'll be on the north course and in NASCAR turn 3 only. If you're going with Del Val BMWCCA it's going to be their last event at Pocono, so enjoy it.

The most important thing I can tell you is to learn the track before you go so you don't waste your weekend learning the track. If you know the track ahead if time you can then concentrate on fine tuning your lines and learning the limits of your car not wondering which way the track goes next.

How do you learn the track before you go?? First get a track map, there are many available online, just do a search (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Pocon...tional_Raceway). Next find a few videos on youtube or elsewhere of guys running the same track. Don't look for videos of pro racers, look for guys who have video'd previous driver's schools. Be sure you're studying the same Pocono configuration that you'll be driving as Pocono has a few different configurations. Finally, watch the videos with the track map in front of you as many times as it takes until you comfortably know the track. I've watched as many as 20 or 30 laps to feel comfortable. Look for big reference points that you'll see when you're on the track such as the grandstands or the NASCAR garages. Also look at what corners folks are downshifting for, not that the E92 will be exactly the same, but it gives a reference for how much they're slowing for each corner. I'd anticipate that you will only need 3rd and 4th gear for Pocono (possibly 5th on the long straightaway).

Let me know if you'd like to talk on the phone before you go, I can give you some more student insight or answer any questions you have about driver's schools in general. PM me your number if you want to talk. I have 17 driver school days under my belt. 3 in my E92 M3.
      09-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
did you guys install it yourselves?
NO way I would do this: from what I have seen and read it requires some expertise.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Steve, no that's one place I've not driven, only been there for NASCAR races. Obviously you won't be driving the entire tri-oval. I think you'll be on the north course and in NASCAR turn 3 only. If you're going with Del Val BMWCCA it's going to be their last event at Pocono, so enjoy it.

The most important thing I can tell you is to learn the track before you go so you don't waste your weekend learning the track. If you know the track ahead if time you can then concentrate on fine tuning your lines and learning the limits of your car not wondering which way the track goes next.

How do you learn the track before you go?? First get a track map, there are many available online, just do a search (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Pocon...tional_Raceway). Next find a few videos on youtube or elsewhere of guys running the same track. Don't look for videos of pro racers, look for guys who have video'd previous driver's schools. Be sure you're studying the same Pocono configuration that you'll be driving as Pocono has a few different configurations. Finally, watch the videos with the track map in front of you as many times as it takes until you comfortably know the track. I've watched as many as 20 or 30 laps to feel comfortable. Look for big reference points that you'll see when you're on the track such as the grandstands or the NASCAR garages. Also look at what corners folks are downshifting for, not that the E92 will be exactly the same, but it gives a reference for how much they're slowing for each corner. I'd anticipate that you will only need 3rd and 4th gear for Pocono (possibly 5th on the long straightaway).

Let me know if you'd like to talk on the phone before you go, I can give you some more student insight or answer any questions you have about driver's schools in general. PM me your number if you want to talk. I have 17 driver school days under my belt. 3 in my E92 M3.
thanks for all the great advice, skierman. Just watching a few laps @ Pocono North has helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Battle scars are cool. Braless.
Appreciate 0