BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
bobs619
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Saphire Black F10 M5

Review: Mode Carbon GTS Font Lip Spoiler

Gentlemen,
I recently obtained the Mode Carbon GTS Front Spoiler and I would like share my personal feedback with you all.

Background
I had been searching for an alternative to the $1200, made in the USA lip I had on my car. Although the lip was very top notch, it had been quite impractical with my car's ride height. Being at max low on my coil overs, it was a hassle going over steep and narrow driveways. I had gone through 2 of these lips, which i had repaired countless times. In the end, I had resorted to cutting down the last lip to approx 1.5". In doing so i altered the rigidity of the lip. Thus, risking the lip would crack again when it hit bottom. Sure enough this happened. As any true pimp/player would say, "Don't chase. Replace."

Enter: The Mode Carbon GTS Front Lip Spoiler.

Name:  PicCollage1.jpg
Views: 5970
Size:  91.8 KB

Customer Service
In business, i believe customer service is an important factor when dealing with vendors. In my option it is a reflection of the pride and quality they put into their product. In our hobby, good customer service may sometimes be hard to find.

Shout out to Sam @ Mode Carbon and his staff for exceptional service. They promised what they said and delivered what they advertised. Their response to all my questions and concerns was immediate and comprehensive. Mode Carbon promised me a tracking number within a few hours of ordering and i received it (without having to remind them).

Much care was used to pack my lip. They used plenty of bubble wrap and packing material in an appropriately sized shipping box. The delivery ETA they provided me was on time.

Name:  PicCollage.jpg
Views: 4693
Size:  81.7 KB

Product Quality
Upon initial inspection of the product, i noticed that it had been missing mounting holes. However, this was not issue because there were small humps on lip to indicate where the holes should be drilled. I verified the position holes using the lip i had on my car previously.

Most importantly, the lip was built almost like it was OEM grade. The clear gloss finish on the front surface is smooth and not wavy. The carbon weave is very straight and no stretching at all. Below, is comparo between the Mode Carbon lip (on my car) and the $1200 lip (i had on there previously).

Name:  photo 3 (2).JPG
Views: 4962
Size:  131.4 KB

As you can see in the figure above, the carbon weave pattern of the previous lip (bottom) is not that perfect. No nappy weaves please.

Installation
Installation went off without a hitch. I did have to purchase 2 longer screws to mount the lip at the screw holes at the ends of the bumper. This mainly is because those areas are where the surface of the lip is folded to the bottom. The picture below shows the screw positions visible from the driver side corner. The yellow arrows indicate OEM screw holes, and the red arrows indicate the areas I drilled machine screws for more added support.

Name:  photo 1 (3).JPG
Views: 4666
Size:  47.7 KB

I noticed that the passenger side of the lip did not span to the screw hole at the end (see pic below). This was mediated by just drilling another machine screw in the bumper and leaving the existing screw intact. I did not see this as as issue because the visible portion of the lip is next to perfectly aligned and centered on the bumper. In the following picture, the yellow arrows indicate OEM screw holes, and the red arrows indicate the areas I drilled machine screws for more added support.

Name:  4-5-2013 11-22-25 PM.jpg
Views: 5241
Size:  47.9 KB

In conjunction with the mounting screws, 3M mounting tape was used at front
top portion of the lip where it meets the the bumper.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 5046
Size:  92.0 KB

Fitment and Appearence
As they say, nothing can compare to legit OEM -- which is true. I cannot say the Mode Carbon lip conforms with the contours of the bumper perfectly, but i can say it is comparable if not equal to the fit of my previous lip. In my opinion, I would grade the fitment as an A. YMMV as all bumpers are not equal due to the flex and warping they can endure over time

Name:  PicCollage2.jpg
Views: 4796
Size:  80.4 KB

In the appearance department, the Mode Carbon lip flows well with the lines and contours of the bumper. In addition, it holds true to the "GTS" style. Overall, the lip is harmonious with the shape of the e92 M3 and accentuates the car really well -- almost feng shui like. Finally, and most critically, it's not too low!

Name:  photo 3 (3).JPG
Views: 5273
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 6458
Size:  145.7 KB

Price
The price point of the Mode Carbon lip is about ~$950 with shipping. When compared to some "quality" reps out there which can cost $600, the real/authentic Mode Carbon lip is a good buy.

Overall
I would absolutely recommend this lip to someone in the market for a new lip that does not want to spend mad cash on a "GTS" style lip. If you want a lip that is quality made and fits great without breaking the bank, the Mode Carbon GTS lip is for you. That's wazzup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Love it. Looks awesome.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
sswanson15
M enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
looks good...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

sick bro im running the same thing but with the lower lip also...amazing fit and quality thumbs up!!!
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Looks fantastic. I think this is the greatest lip out there. It's like a challenge lip but with more ground clearance.

Nice review
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Great review. PM coming!
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Great review! I have a mode carbon lip waiting for installation in my garage, and have to say the cf looks near perfect. I've purchased lots of carbon fiber with my lotus (10 body panels + trim) - and the mode stuff appears to be up there with the best.

Frankly, my factory cf mirror cover on the driver side wasn't a 100% perfect fit -- so I think that is just a little bit the nature of the beast.

-Scott
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs619 View Post
Gentlemen,
I recently obtained the Mode Carbon GTS Front Spoiler and I would like share my personal feedback with you all.

Background
I had been searching for an alternative to the $1200, made in the USA lip I had on my car. Although the lip was very top notch, it had been quite impractical with my car's ride height. Being at max low on my coil overs, it was a hassle going over steep and narrow driveways. I had gone through 2 of these lips, which i had repaired countless times. In the end, I had resorted to cutting down the last lip to approx 1.5". In doing so i altered the rigidity of the lip. Thus, risking the lip would crack again when it hit bottom. Sure enough this happened. As any true pimp/player would say, "Don't chase. Replace."

Enter: The Mode Carbon GTS Front Lip Spoiler.

Attachment 841639

Customer Service
In business, i believe customer service is an important factor when dealing with vendors. In my option it is a reflection of the pride and quality they put into their product. In our hobby, good customer service may sometimes be hard to find.

Shout out to Sam @ Mode Carbon and his staff for exceptional service. They promised what they said and delivered what they advertised. Their response to all my questions and concerns was immediate and comprehensive. Mode Carbon promised me a tracking number within a few hours of ordering and i received it (without having to remind them).

Much care was used to pack my lip. They used plenty of bubble wrap and packing material in an appropriately sized shipping box. The delivery ETA they provided me was on time.

Attachment 841640

Product Quality
Upon initial inspection of the product, i noticed that it had been missing mounting holes. However, this was not issue because there were small humps on lip to indicate where the holes should be drilled. I verified the position holes using the lip i had on my car previously.

Most importantly, the lip was built almost like it was OEM grade. The clear gloss finish on the front surface is smooth and not wavy. The carbon weave is very straight and no stretching at all. Below, is comparo between the Mode Carbon lip (on my car) and the $1200 lip (i had on there previously).

Attachment 841641

As you can see in the figure above, the carbon weave pattern of the previous lip (bottom) is not that perfect. No nappy weaves please.

Installation
Installation went off without a hitch. I did have to purchase 2 longer screws to mount the lip at the screw holes at the ends of the bumper. This mainly is because those areas are where the surface of the lip is folded to the bottom. The picture below shows the screw positions visible from the driver side corner. The yellow arrows indicate OEM screw holes, and the red arrows indicate the areas I drilled machine screws for more added support.

Attachment 841642

I noticed that the passenger side of the lip did not span to the screw hole at the end (see pic below). This was mediated by just drilling another machine screw in the bumper and leaving the existing screw intact. I did not see this as as issue because the visible portion of the lip is next to perfectly aligned and centered on the bumper. In the following picture, the yellow arrows indicate OEM screw holes, and the red arrows indicate the areas I drilled machine screws for more added support.

Attachment 841648

In conjunction with the mounting screws, 3M mounting tape was used at front
top portion of the lip where it meets the the bumper.

Attachment 841654

Fitment and Appearence
As they say, nothing can compare to legit OEM -- which is true. I cannot say the Mode Carbon lip conforms with the contours of the bumper perfectly, but i can say it is comparable if not equal to the fit of my previous lip. In my opinion, I would grade the fitment as an A. YMMV as all bumpers are not equal due to the flex and warping they can endure over time

Attachment 841655

In the appearance department, the Mode Carbon lip flows well with the lines and contours of the bumper. In addition, it holds true to the "GTS" style. Overall, the lip is harmonious with the shape of the e92 M3 and accentuates the car really well -- almost feng shui like. Finally, and most critically, it's not too low!

Attachment 841652

Attachment 841653

Price
The price point of the Mode Carbon lip is about ~$950 with shipping. When compared to some "quality" reps out there which can cost $600, the real/authentic Mode Carbon lip is a good buy.

Overall
I would absolutely recommend this lip to someone in the market for a new lip that does not want to spend mad cash on a "GTS" style lip. If you want a lip that is quality made and fits great without breaking the bank, the Mode Carbon GTS lip is for you. That's wazzup.
Great write up! Glad you are enjoying your new lip!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Saschi
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Can you send me a link to this lip?

all of the Mode Carbon lips i see looks different?
not so good as your?!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
bobs619
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape_sta206 View Post
Great write up! Glad you are enjoying your new lip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Love it. Looks awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswanson15 View Post
looks good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER ///M3 View Post
sick bro im running the same thing but with the lower lip also...amazing fit and quality thumbs up!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Looks fantastic. I think this is the greatest lip out there. It's like a challenge lip but with more ground clearance.

Nice review
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
Great review. PM coming!
Thanks broskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
Great review! I have a mode carbon lip waiting for installation in my garage, and have to say the cf looks near perfect. I've purchased lots of carbon fiber with my lotus (10 body panels + trim) - and the mode stuff appears to be up there with the best.

Frankly, my factory cf mirror cover on the driver side wasn't a 100% perfect fit -- so I think that is just a little bit the nature of the beast.

-Scott
WOW! You kno your cf my man. Im glad you're not allergic to CF. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post

not so good as your?!
look at this thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=mode+carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

looks great!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
BIU
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Awesome review

Heard nothing but great things about Mode Carbon on these forums !
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Mode Carbon is the real deal
      04-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Awesome. Are those Amuse spec 20s? I recently debated against them after some practical considerations but seeing them again reinforces my desire to have them.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Not trying to hack the thread but I have a friend who is selling his!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709678
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
bobs619
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Awesome. Are those Amuse spec 20s? I recently debated against them after some practical considerations but seeing them again reinforces my desire to have them.
Yes, sir. Polished and brushed clear by some dude by the name of Floss_Design.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
bobs619
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape_sta206 View Post
Not trying to hack the thread but I have a friend who is selling his!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709678
All late. I woulda bought it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
rentonrider1
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92

want!... love this lip
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post

not so good as your?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs619 View Post
All late. I woulda bought it.
My friend just decided to sell it last night. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Does mode carbon have a website I can order from?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

"don't chase, replace"

Looking good!

Last edited by Sal@AUTOcouture; 04-08-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0