BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #45
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: camaro

Just because these things always make me kind of angry. I was 16 and 17 driving a 600 rear wheel horsepower Camaro everyday. Age has nothing to do with how much of a bad driver you are. Some people think "hmm if I floor it the car might slide out from under me and I'll hit a guard rail and die.. Probably shouldn't do this on a public road" then others think "DUUUDEE THIS CAR IS SO FAST LEMME FLOOR IT AND MAYBE ID GET MAD CHICKS MANNNN". I think it's a lot more to do with how they've been trained or even raised in the past with how much of a reckless driver they are.
See, I love cars, when I drive, I actually drive it. I don't sit there and mash the gas pedal, log into Facebook, call my friends, make a smoothie, or whatever else people are doing in cars. The only accident I've ever been in was someone backing into me while I was parked and not even in my car. I can say this, I've driven 45,000 miles in my life and I'm 18 been driving since 16. My only cars were a 600hp Camaro and a 08 e93. It's not just age
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #46
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
Just because these things always make me kind of angry. I was 16 and 17 driving a 600 rear wheel horsepower Camaro everyday. Age has nothing to do with how much of a bad driver you are. Some people think "hmm if I floor it the car might slide out from under me and I'll hit a guard rail and die.. Probably shouldn't do this on a public road" then others think "DUUUDEE THIS CAR IS SO FAST LEMME FLOOR IT AND MAYBE ID GET MAD CHICKS MANNNN". I think it's a lot more to do with how they've been trained or even raised in the past with how much of a reckless driver they are.
See, I love cars, when I drive, I actually drive it. I don't sit there and mash the gas pedal, log into Facebook, call my friends, make a smoothie, or whatever else people are doing in cars. The only accident I've ever been in was someone backing into me while I was parked and not even in my car. I can say this, I've driven 45,000 miles in my life and I'm 18 been driving since 16. My only cars were a 600hp Camaro and a 08 e93. It's not just age
You are the exception not the rule unfortunately. Most people are not good drivers; and neither are their kids. ; ) Most people give poor or no instruction. Likewise, most kids, and people really, learn the limits by failing. I'd rather have them fail in a reasonably powered Honda, than a huge, fast BMW. That is just me though.

My daughter will be in karting, as well as various driving education before she ever drives a large, powerful, German car : )
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #47
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413
years ago I used to hang out with my friends in a cafe which a friend of mine owned. It was at a high-end district of the town and late at light you get to see people coming with their nice cars and bikes. One thing I realized was that when those teens gather, they always talk about how much they spend on their mods, how fast they drove their expensive cars on the street. I still remember one of the 16 yr old boys told my friend (the cafe owner) that he was going 180km (in his highly tuned 996 tt) on the street of Downtown Vancouver at 2am the day before. And his friend crashed into someone's home in west-end while street racing some BMW in his E55. None of them talked about going to a track or attend some professional driving school.

However, there would be another group of guys who were in their late 20s or early 30s, they would than talk about going to a track down Seattle or somewhere in USA. People in this group didn't rev up their engine when they arrive or leave; they don't turn up music like they own the city; and they don't take off in a way to show you they've got fast cars.

So age matters? to me, YES.
These two groups seem like apples and oranges to me. The rich punks like modded sports cars so they can show off. Most will grow into adults who still want to be a " playa." They only appreciate straight line speed or being able to drift around in front of friends. The other group are true enthusiasts who are at that point because they have a genuine passion for motorsport.

Studies have shown that late teen male brains do not anticipate fear in the same manner as an adult. I still believe it comes down to individual maturity though and certainly not the car. Horsepower may have contributed, but most of my friends who had accidents during my teen years had crap cars. It was always the same.. Already up to speed and can't make the corner. It's a matter of acting like an idiot, imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #48
boostedM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanE92 View Post
Horsepower may have contributed, but most of my friends who had accidents during my teen years had crap cars. It was always the same.. Already up to speed and can't make the corner. It's a matter of acting like an idiot, imo.
+1. There was a guy in a neighboring county back home who tried to see how fast his POS N/A Mitsubishi Eclipse could go. Ended up killing himself and the girl in the passenger seat, and sent the two kids in the back to the ICU. He did this in a car with 162hp. Less power than my street bike. Maybe if he had been in a 550, the car would have actually been safe enough to save some lives.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Don't some cars have limiters you can set? I know I had a ford focus rental recently that the key was set not allow the car above 80. Drove me nuts so I returned the car for a different car. Clearly on AVERAGE age correlates with maturity and experience. I'm scared I death of when my 4 yr old gets old enough to drive
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You are the exception not the rule unfortunately. Most people are not good drivers; and neither are their kids. ; ) Most people give poor or no instruction. Likewise, most kids, and people really, learn the limits by failing. I'd rather have them fail in a reasonably powered Honda, than a huge, fast BMW. That is just me though.

My daughter will be in karting, as well as various driving education before she ever drives a large, powerful, German car : )
+1..for every 16 yr old that says I never crashed there are many, many more that have..anyone thinking age and wrecking out are not related are deluding themselves
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would say that there is a major difference in the type of experience that someone would learn from kart or other tracking compared to daily driving experience. There is no doubt that the track experience would make you have more car control and therefore maybe less risk when driving high powered cars earlier than others without that training. You may have better judgement when it comes to not driving like an ass, similar to adults who track that say they drive more tame on the road and unleash it all at the track. But, in a semi controlled environment like a track, you are not going to get everyday situational experience such as making left hand turns at a busy intersections or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I would say that there is a major difference in the type of experience that someone would learn from kart or other tracking compared to daily driving experience. There is no doubt that the track experience would make you have more car control and therefore maybe less risk when driving high powered cars earlier than others without that training. You may have better judgement when it comes to not driving like an ass, similar to adults who track that say they drive more tame on the road and unleash it all at the track. But, in a semi controlled environment like a track, you are not going to get everyday situational experience such as making left hand turns at a busy intersections or something similar.
Have you ever been to the track? I can say unequivocally I'm a far better driver on the street having spent time there BECAUSE my situational awareness has improved drastically.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Most tracks offer courses for teenagers that are pretty complete courses. They are designed to prepare them for the road. The BMW performance center, as an example, offers such courses.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #54
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Wrong Wrong Wrong

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #55
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Counterpoints that sound like this are ridiculous: "X should be ok, because when I was a kid, I did it too and everything turned out fine".

You are the exception to the norm. When referring to a group as whole what you did as a kid was irrelevant and shouldn't trump common sense.

"When Bob was a 16, he had a Glock and was personally responsible with it". Ok, fine, let's let all 16 year olds have a gun then. Does this sound dumb? Yes? Exactly.

Common sense dictates that 16 year old kids shouldn't be driving performance cars because *in general* they lack the maturity and experience to be put in control of these machines.

That's not to say that all adults are better off, but *in general* and at the least, adults have more experience (even if the maturity aspect is in question).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #56
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Another old guy hating on young kids. What about the 50 year olds that get into accidents? Huh???

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #57
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr
Quote:
Have you ever been to the track? I can say unequivocally I'm a far better driver on the street having spent time there BECAUSE my situational awareness has improved drastically.
I don't doubt that tracking makes you a better driver on the street. The previous statements were that young drivers that drive track or kart had sufficient experience to justify driving a high powered road vehicle. I'm just saying that with real world driving comes experience that will not be learned at the track and that that experience is equally important.
Appreciate 0