BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Exterior mods on an E90

I realize this is pretty subjective and I, personally, subscribe to the ideal that you should do what you like and who cares what other people think.
That being said, how do you guys feel about it? I really dig some of the mods I've seen on E92s, but, to me, the E90 is a bit more of a family sedan and doesn't lend itself so well to racy looking exterior mods.
I'm picking up an E90 on saturday. Alpine white over black on the 19" rims. I do plan on replacing the grills with the black ones, as well as doing the same thing with the side gills. I really like some of the wide M colored stripes I've seen angling from the front of the car over the fender, but think they may look out of place on the E90.
I do like black rims on a white car, but I love the stock 19s too so I'm not sure yet if I will swap them out for black rims yet or not.
I will probably end up doing a carbon fiber rear diffuser and rear spoiler lip. Should I stop there though? Would anything else just look wrong on a sedan?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

As you said yourself, do what you are happy with. I personally wouldn't do the stripes no matter how big or small (regardless of E92 or E90). If you get the diffuser and rear spoiler you probably want to get a front lip/splitters to balance it out.

I like the idea of function over form especially if you like to go to the track a bit, but some prefer aesthetic type mods, be it 20" rims, retrimmed interiors, super slammed etc.
      06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
As you said yourself, do what you are happy with. I personally wouldn't do the stripes no matter how big or small (regardless of E92 or E90). If you get the diffuser and rear spoiler you probably want to get a front lip/splitters to balance it out.

I like the idea of function over form especially if you like to go to the track a bit, but some prefer aesthetic type mods, be it 20" rims, retrimmed interiors, super slammed etc.
Ya. I'm leaning that way too. I do think they look pretty sweet, but one major draw for me to the E90 is it's stealthy appearance. I like the idea of flying under the radar, literally lol. So I don't want to do anything that will make it stick out too much. I agree with you about the splitter as well. That was already in the plans but I forgot to mention them.
I will add that the windows are already tinted very dark.
I would not super slam it. It's already on H&R sport springs, that's enough for me. We won't go to the track that often, maybe two or three times a year. The only things I will do to the interior is a Motorsport hand brake cover, brushed metal M pedals and one of those badass sport steering wheels. Less is more I think.

Last edited by JLed79; 06-06-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

To each their own, but please, no stripes!!! Modded E90s look amazing, IMO!

This thread will keep you busy for quite a while:
Modified M3 Sedan (E90) Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
Ivan@PYSpeed.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90

AW is a great color to start with, it goes well with CF products imo.
I don't really like any colored stripes on these cars, but its your car
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your input guys. I agree. I will admit that I think stripes CAN look cool, but not always. And I'm not going that route. If anything just the very subdued three stripes in the grill thing I've seen on here before. I do think that is sharp and understated. So pretty much just CF all around and probably black rims. That should keep the mod bug at bag....till I open the hood anyway lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have a AW e90 and my favorite mod was the front splitters followed by the carbon fiber rear view mirror caps
Appreciate 0