BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

08 / 73000 miles : E92 M3 BS Oil Report

Bought a used 08 and I was a bit skeptical about how previous owner took care the car... Overall, happy with the results...Feel free to share your thoughts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Honestly, I don't think they tell you much, especially if you don't have a complete history from every oil change.

There was another thread where the car had bearings in poor condition yet the last UOA was good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

OP, are you running TWS? What did you go with after the oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Honestly, I don't think they tell you much, especially if you don't have a complete history from every oil change.

There was another thread where the car had bearings in poor condition yet the last UOA was good.
That I can agree with, it's better to see a trend. But oil analysis will tell you if your engine is about to catastrophically fail. For example, the guy that is getting a new engine from BMW had 80 lead ppm. When it's 7-10 ppm, who knows what the bearings look like. But when you get ridiculously high double digit numbers, you know you might as well stop driving the car.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

That is true. I was mainly curious about the lead level / overall condition of the oil... I had no idea when/if the previous owner changed the oil or the dealership actually performed oil change when they received the car as a trade. After I purchased the car, I noticed that the OEM air filter was in terrible shape and I started to get worried. Went to a local BMW and they did not have any record of oil change since 2010

Quote:
OP, are you running TWS? What did you go with after the oil change?
My car is still under full maintenance/ warranty... Oil change was free (I also asked them to change spark plugs, diff fluid, brake fluid ) so I went with TWS...I see some people like to run Mobil1.... What are you using?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

The report tells me it is 5w-30
      02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Looking at the viscosity of the oil, I can tell you the last change was not TWS, it's not even M1 0W40, looks like the previous owner went to an inde shop and regular BMW 5W30 oil was installed.

Hey, at least the engine is showing good wear as far as lead and copper go. You might see elevated lead/copper wear next time since you just went back to TWS though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
That is true. I was mainly curious about the lead level / overall condition of the oil... I had no idea when/if the previous owner changed the oil or the dealership actually performed oil change when they received the car as a trade. After I purchased the car, I noticed that the OEM air filter was in terrible shape and I started to get worried. Went to a local BMW and they did not have any record of oil change since 2010

My car is still under full maintenance/ warranty... Oil change was free (I also asked them to change spark plugs, diff fluid, brake fluid ) so I went with TWS...I see some people like to run Mobil1.... What are you using?
I'm running Mobil1, but I'm also out of warranty. At the very least, I'd change the oil myself in between dealership oil changes. Not a bad report, pretty much what I had until I switched, and the lead went down to half. I'd like to see what my next M1 results in a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm running Mobil1, but I'm also out of warranty. At the very least, I'd change the oil myself in between dealership oil changes. Not a bad report, pretty much what I had until I switched, and the lead went down to half. I'd like to see what my next M1 results in a few thousand miles.
Is it better to use M1? I use M1 for my AMGs but I was told that M3s are happier with TWS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Looking at the viscosity of the oil, I can tell you the last change was not TWS, it's not even M1 0W40, looks like the previous owner went to an inde shop and regular BMW 5W30 oil was installed.

Hey, at least the engine is showing good wear as far as lead and copper go. You might see elevated lead/copper wear next time since you just went back to TWS though.
Yea, I wasn't aware of rod bearing issues on M3 and it really kinda made me paranoid.. lol..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Is it better to use M1? I use M1 for my AMGs but I was told that M3s are happier with TWS...

Yea, I wasn't aware of rod bearing issues on M3 and it really kinda made me paranoid.. lol..
It's a very very highly debated subject, that's for sure. I won't comment on why others use which oil, but this is why "I" switched to M1:
- Warms up quicker (don't let anyone tell you otherwise) from cold start
- All posted Blackstone oil reports have shown decrease in bearing wear (when switching from 10W60 to 0W40).
- If cars like a GT3 and GTR's can run it, I don't see a problem with running it on S65 if oil pressure doesn't drastically change
- Not really a factor, but a bonus. It's $55 for 10qts of M1 at Walmart. I change every 5000 miles.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if you want to switch or not. I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer as to what you should run because there are so many opinions. It also depends how you use your car too. If it's mostly street driven, then absolutely I would switch to M1. I've also taken it on mountain runs during hot days and it performed very well (car has never seen track time though).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
It's a very very highly debated subject, that's for sure. I won't comment on why others use which oil, but this is why "I" switched to M1:
- Warms up quicker (don't let anyone tell you otherwise) from cold start
- All posted Blackstone oil reports have shown decrease in bearing wear (when switching from 10W60 to 0W40).
- If cars like a GT3 and GTR's can run it, I don't see a problem with running it on S65 if oil pressure doesn't drastically change
- Not really a factor, but a bonus. It's $55 for 10qts of M1 at Walmart. I change every 5000 miles.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if you want to switch or not. I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer as to what you should run because there are so many opinions. It also depends how you use your car too. If it's mostly street driven, then absolutely I would switch to M1. I've also taken it on mountain runs during hot days and it performed very well (car has never seen track time though).
Thanks for the information I may consider switching it later.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information I may consider switching it later.
Fee free to PM me if you have any specific questions on oil.
      02-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Better lock this thread up before it turns into "Whos running xxx-brand 5w-30?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Better lock this thread up before it turns into "Whos running xxx-brand 5w-30?
LOL, where is Longwong when we need him
      02-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

thanks for sharing , I have to do the same soon except mine has 20,800 miles and only 2500 on the oil

still debating if I should send it in for oil analysis
Appreciate 0