BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

M3 E90 vs RS5 spin

Hi guys,

since I moved from 550i E60 to current M3 a few month ago I certainly have enjoyed the ride - and the chassies! - but to be honest been puzzled whether it run accordin to spec or not.

Went out with a buddy for a test spin versus his RS5. Raced multiple runs from 20->125mph isch and 50>125mph, even runs but with the M3 gaining a few meters every single time.
Again main purpose was to check my car was doing alright. According to official specs I should have fallen behind a little rather than him, so obviously came out please...

So guess its not the power lacking but me simply needing to get used to the S65 curve incl less low-end torque - not an unpleasant exersise thought..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Couple questions:

1. Why would you think an RS5 could hang with an M3 in a rolling start anyway?

2. Both vehicles completely stock, and on stock size/type tires & rims?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Hi Kurt,

well for a starter the RS5 is spec'ed 4.5s vs 4.7s (E90) tp 100km/h and <15s vs 15.6s to 200km/h. Not to foget the RS5 is a modern car while the M3 E9x is becoming a quite old design, so I'd say well done good old wheels!

Yep, both cars bone stock.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sounds like fun. Audi advantage is at low speeds, from stand still through first gear.

Roll race between B7 RS4 and E9X M3 isn't very close (two cars with supposedly equal hp) so makes sense it's pretty even with RS5 given the hp advantage.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

I stopped by the local Audi dealer a few weeks ago when dropping my 335i off for service. I thought it was decent looking. Not sure if I like the look of the scalloped rotors - they are monstrously thick though - but I'd certainly read up on it and consider it if I was ready to trade. It would at least start off with the not F.I. advantage over the new M3/M4. Still all the Audi's weight, the understeer, the AWD ... not sure if a good if unspectacular engine is enough. I need to see how much of a mess the M3 turbo motor is going to be. If it's the laggy mess that tuned 335's are, then no thanks to that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I stopped by the local Audi dealer a few weeks ago when dropping my 335i off for service. I thought it was decent looking. Not sure if I like the look of the scalloped rotors - they are monstrously thick though - but I'd certainly read up on it and consider it if I was ready to trade. It would at least start off with the not F.I. advantage over the new M3/M4. Still all the Audi's weight, the understeer, the AWD ... not sure if a good if unspectacular engine is enough. I need to see how much of a mess the M3 turbo motor is going to be. If it's the laggy mess that tuned 335's are, then no thanks to that.
If you currently drive a 335i, whether you go RS5 or M3 will make you a happy bird...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I just can't get over how the good the new RS5 looks. It looks very beefy compared to our M3s
      04-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

IMO the RS5 look good and special, it stands out - for a change really being Audi Performance.
My AW E90 look like a 318D, except for a few details. However it is like cut out from one piece of metal, make interesting (to an engineer...) noise, and handles like a freaking sports car. Not going religious, but it is special for being a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
IMO the RS5 look good and special, it stands out - for a change really being Audi Performance.
My AW E90 look like a 318D, except for a few details. However it is like cut out from one piece of metal, make interesting (to an engineer...) noise, and handles like a freaking sports car. Not going religious, but it is special for being a car...
I love the design of the RS5 (and A5, for that matter), but I also love the "sleeperishness" of my car, a tribute to the ultimate Q ship, the E39 M5.

And it is a very special car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
Hi Kurt,

well for a starter the RS5 is spec'ed 4.5s vs 4.7s (E90) tp 100km/h and &lt;15s vs 15.6s to 200km/h. Not to foget the RS5 is a modern car while the M3 E9x is becoming a quite old design, so I'd say well done good old wheels!

cheers
The rs5 has been out for like a year or two less than a e92 m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi Kurt,

well for a starter the RS5 is spec'ed 4.5s vs 4.7s (E90) tp 100km/h and <15s vs 15.6s to 200km/h. Not to foget the RS5 is a modern car while the M3 E9x is becoming a quite old design, so I'd say well done good old wheels!

cheers
Time to speed is not the issue in a drag race. It's time to distance that counts. From a roll, the M3 has the advantage because of better power to weight, plus it doesn't have the drag of AWD. From a dig, however, the Audi can launch like a striped ape compared to the bimmer, so over a short distance like a quarter mile the RS5 can do well.

On a road course, the Audi tends to be a bit quicker, because it can put the power down better than the M coming out of corners.

Both engines are absolute songbirds, with the ability to raise the hairs on the back of your neck when running for redline, and both cars are a credit to whatever garage they occupy.

Bruce

PS - The RS5 is not much younger than the M3. It just hasn't been available in the States until fairly recently.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I ran one about a year and a half ago.

First and second gear, the Audi was slightly ahead. I caught up quickly in third and the M3 pulled away in 4th. Before we ran, we were at a light and the German driver said, "Nice car, 400 horsepower right?" to which I replied "Something like that". I think if my car didn't have full exhaust and tune that it would have been a much more even race.

The Audi's are very nice cars. If I wasn't so hardcore BMW I would definitely own one.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you currently drive a 335i, whether you go RS5 or M3 will make you a happy bird...
That's my wife's car. I have an E90 M3.

So ya, we agree!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Hi guys,

since I moved from 550i E60 to current M3 a few month ago I certainly have enjoyed the ride - and the chassies! - but to be honest been puzzled whether it run accordin to spec or not.

Went out with a buddy for a test spin versus his RS5. Raced multiple runs from 20->125mph isch and 50>125mph, even runs but with the M3 gaining a few meters every single time.
Again main purpose was to check my car was doing alright. According to official specs I should have fallen behind a little rather than him, so obviously came out please...

So guess its not the power lacking but me simply needing to get used to the S65 curve incl less low-end torque - not an unpleasant exersise thought..
Personal i think that the only and right anser to the RS5 is......
Our DCT ! ( could see that you have DCT too )
And i can tell you when you get the BPM tune and DCT software/upgrade your car will be even faster by the even more faster shifts and engine/tune !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
New M3 will definitely not feel like a tuned N54! I fully expect it to be one of the best if not the best turbo motor ever in regards to lag. Performance wise i have no doubt it will destroy the RS5 in every way.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Personal i think that the only and right anser to the RS5 is......
Our DCT ! ( could see that you have DCT too )
And i can tell you when you get the BPM tune and DCT software/upgrade your car will be even faster by the even more faster shifts and engine/tune !
Assume you're basen in Belgium ie Europe? Been puzzled over the DCT tune. Yhe US cars clearly have i different SW in the first place, but reading about their experiences after tuning it reads like what our are from start, i.e. fast, no shift down in auto, no lag when reverse etc. Could you please shed some further light here (again, assuming you drive a EU car).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
That's my wife's car. I have an E90 M3.

So ya, we agree!
Hey, sounds like yet another happy bird...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Assume you're basen in Belgium ie Europe? Been puzzled over the DCT tune. Yhe US cars clearly have i different SW in the first place, but reading about their experiences after tuning it reads like what our are from start, i.e. fast, no shift down in auto, no lag when reverse etc. Could you please shed some further light here (again, assuming you drive a EU car).

Thanks
About the BPM engine/tune,DCT/software upgrade,Servotronic ,coding,ect....
Actualy it's remote tuning,you will receive a remote cable that will be conected with your laptop and our OBD/port .
In my case i received 2 cables,one for the engine/tune and one for DCT/software upgrade and coding .
It doesn't matter if our cars are US/spec or Euro/spec(my car=Euro/spec) it's alway's the latest and best sofware available !
And i had also second gear lag and the car was jerky when engine and DCT was cold,well after this BPM/tune all this problems are history,car runs perfect,and consumes now even less,everything is smoother !(BMW/dealer was not able)
For more info you can always send a PM or Email to Mike-Benvo/BPM-tuning (LA),he's the man 4sure >
http://bpmsport.com/
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784717
BPM/tune in action on the Deutsche Autobahn with top/speed limiter removed (of course !) >
For further info you can always PM me personal, no problem man !
And ohhhh yes i live in Belgium,so the tune was done in Belgium ,so from Los-Angeles to Belgium and in country's from all over the world !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-20-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
About the BPM engine/tune,DCT/software upgrade,Servotronic ,coding,ect....
Actualy it's remote tuning,you will receive a remote cable that will be conected with your laptop and our OBD/port .
In my case i received 2 cables,one for the engine/tune and one for DCT/software upgrade and coding .
It doesn't matter if our cars are US/spec or Euro/spec(my car=Euro/spec) it's alway's the latest and best sofware available !
And i had also second gear lag and the car was jerky when engine and DCT was cold,well after this BPM/tune all this problems are history,car runs perfect,and consumes now even less,everything is smoother !(BMW/dealer was not able)
For more info you can always send a PM or Email to Mike-Benvo/BPM-tuning (LA),he's the man 4sure >
http://bpmsport.com/
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784717
BPM/tune in action on the Deutsche Autobahn with top/speed limiter removed (of course !) >
For further info you can always PM me personal, no problem man !
And ohhhh yes i live in Belgium,so the tune was done in Belgium ,so from Los-Angeles to Belgium and in country's from all over the world !
That's what I mean mate, I don't seem to have any of the DCT issues that are reported, in fact it is ever so smooth when I want but lighting fast and push gears hard when in higher settings. Anyway, either car specific or there are different spec's also within Europe (you're may be an earlier than mine?).

The video however is freaking awesome, don't believe I've seen that acceleration in any other video (haven't tried mine up there, also limited to 280 with Mdriver pack). The tune can only do a few HP's (20-30 tops?), would you say it did a significant change in pull?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
The V8 in the RS5 is quite spectacular actually. Sounds better and has a higher redline than the S65.

I, too, was (still am) a huge BMW fan and never thought I'd buy an Audi but the RS5 is a phenomenal machine! The quality, fit and finish, engine, handling, and of course the looks make it an amazing car to own. Supposedly, they are only bringing 1,500 of this model to the States, so, its very exclusive as well.

I've had some good seat time in the E92 at the two day M School and it's an awesome car but I'm very happy with my RS5 and prefer as a DD over the E92.

However, I could definitely see myself in a new F80 in a few years....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I ran one about a year and a half ago.

First and second gear, the Audi was slightly ahead. I caught up quickly in third and the M3 pulled away in 4th. Before we ran, we were at a light and the German driver said, "Nice car, 400 horsepower right?" to which I replied "Something like that". I think if my car didn't have full exhaust and tune that it would have been a much more even race.

The Audi's are very nice cars. If I wasn't so hardcore BMW I would definitely own one.
Hardcore BMW, I like that haha
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
That's what I mean mate, I don't seem to have any of the DCT issues that are reported, in fact it is ever so smooth when I want but lighting fast and push gears hard when in higher settings. Anyway, either car specific or there are different spec's also within Europe (you're may be an earlier than mine?).

The video however is freaking awesome, don't believe I've seen that acceleration in any other video (haven't tried mine up there, also limited to 280 with Mdriver pack). The tune can only do a few HP's (20-30 tops?), would you say it did a significant change in pull?

Thanks
The customer that took the video had test pipes and the stage II tune... It's really a monster! This is a huge difference VS a stock car. Going to Germany in July and can't wait to drive it on the 'Ring!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0