07-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #23
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
Do not seem that there is a cure from the US forums even after updates.
Really? I've been an avid reader of all the DCT threads, everywhere, (let's face it, there are quite a few!). By the comments posted on the General M3 forum, although this update doesn't eradicate the lag entirely, it does seem that this update virtually eliminates it, at least making it more acceptable and less dangerous.

I won't be able to book mine in for another week or two, but hoping that the posts on the results of this update continue to be positive in the meantime.
      07-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #24
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 DCT

I havent got my hopes up that the lag will be gone completely after the update on wednesday but even if there is a slight improvement i would be very happy with it, as at the moment the ridiculous lag is doing my neck in. If this update doesnt sort it i'll just have to wait for a better update
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I will be interested to hear you guy's results after wednesday

Mine has it a bit but can be driven in a way that makes it not 'too' annoying! Say when reversing out of a space, I find that if I just dab the brakes a little whilst the car is still rolling backwards and almost stopped, and then select 'Drive' and wait for the car to take up the drive BEFORE depressing the throttle, it seems to make for a swifter get away.

f I try and give it some beans a bit too early, it almost makes me wait for me to lift off the gas before giving you 'drive'

Strange! Can be a little annoying but as I say, I seem to be able to drive mine and get round the issue a little. Some seem to suffer more than others? Not sure why.

If any guys who get it done can post the EXACT details of the update, it will help the others out in asking for the right update to be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
If any guys who get it done can post the EXACT details of the update, it will help the others out in asking for the right update to be done.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Edition Sport

Probably a bit old news - but was chatting to Andy at Wycombe today and he tells me he is now carrying out the update ( was news to me that there was one - but I have been away for a few days) Seems it is pretty successful.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #28
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

Just picked up my updated car a few hours ago and couldn't be happier. It definately decreased the lag by more than half. It gives it a nice blip of throttle before you start feeling it accelerate. I had no problems scheduling my software update. I just gave them a current printout of he most recent service bulletin SIB 28-07-08 and told them how to reproduce the lag. Drive 20mph in S3 in 3rd, then press the brake pedal and shift to 2nd at the same time, then as soon as you flip the lever or paddle for 2nd gear then lift foot off brake and press accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #29
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Anyone in the UK had their car 'software' updated yet? If so what are the results. I spoke to my supplying dealer, Bluebell in Crewe, today and they informed me as the car is so new it had all the updates done before delivery late May.

Thats maybe why I am not experiencing the severity of the lag that other members seem to be, although there are defo some symptoms still there. However, if BMW can make this even better I would be keen on a further 'software' update

Is there any way of displaying what software the car has 'installed'?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
DJP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3s 2020

Well, I just picked up my car after having a module replaced and the software updated, and I am pleased to report that the lag is pretty much gone! Driving in default D2, it is much more sprightly after braked & re-application of throttle. I got used to the old lag, but this is very much improved. Essential update.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #31
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP View Post
Well, I just picked up my car after having a module replaced and the software updated, and I am pleased to report that the lag is pretty much gone! Driving in default D2, it is much more sprightly after braked & re-application of throttle. I got used to the old lag, but this is very much improved. Essential update.
What exactly is the update?

I've just emailed my local service department as per copy below showing their response..... aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!

My email to them:

"...Can you let me know whether a software update exists yet for the "Delayed Throttle Response" on the MDCT transmission?

I've been led to believe there's a new ISTA/P version (E089-09-03-510 or higher) which goes some way to eliminating throttle response on downshift in a low Drivelogic program..."

Drop me a mail back with any info you've got!

Cheers..."

Their reply:

"...That version number doesn't seem to be known by BMW so I would have to say currently there is no up date.

Thanks..."

Comprehensive details of update that UK delaers will understand would be fantastic if anyone has them...??
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #32
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Easiest (and probably only) way to find out is to take the car in so they can hook it on the computer. Then they know if there is an update and which one it is. Latest software version is ISTA/P 2.34.005.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #33
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello people,

As I mentioned above had my car booked in for wednesday. when i dropped my car off they insisted i should go for a drive with a technician to verify the fault. on doing this he could clearly see the problem of the ridiculously delayed response in D2 several times during the test drive. when we returned they informed me they will need the car for overnight to hook it up to the system etc etc.

when i got there today they told me the software update has been carried out, and the senior technician took the car out for a 62 mile test for extensive examination and coding etc etc. (they completely lost me when they went into the technical details of what they had done). however, i did ask for the updated integration level code which was E89X-09-06-510

On the way back home (unfortunately a short drive) i was so relieved as i had doubts over how effectively the update would reduce the lag after seeing the comments on the US section. although i havent been able to test it extensively, there was no delayed throttle response at all! the car in D mode seems to be a lot more awake and the computer responds very quickly if down or up shift is needed. also the car seems to blip a lot more too.

overall, i am extremely happy with the result as the lag was really starting to get on my nerves and now i can drive around in D mode without fear or embarrassment! as mentioned by DJP it is an essential update. i am going to the lake district this weekend, which will be a better examination of the update, so will post again after the wkd!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #34
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape View Post
. i am going to the lake district this weekend, which will be a better examination of the update, so will post again after the wkd!
If you get on the A590 on the run down to Newby Bridge than have fun! Once you have climbed the hill the run down the other side is a mile and a half speedway, just watch our for the rozzers!

Also take the back road to Bowness (Windermere) from Newby Bridge 8 miles of great driving........shite if you get stuck behind the Sunday brigade though!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #35
Parbox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
technician took the car out for a 62 mile test for extensive examination and coding etc etc.
A 62 mile test drive sounds like it would have been fun - hope that is not common!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #36
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
the senior technician took the car out for a 62 mile test for extensive examination and coding etc etc.
They've got to be having a laugh! I would have thought the software update is a software update, and doesn't require fine-tuning based on the technicians experiences of driving the car.
      07-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #37
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I still think we're facing an uphill battle with UK dealers regarding the DCT lag issue and the software update.

I phoned my local dealer yesterday to book the update. She put my car reg into the computer and told me confidently that there are no updates due for my car.

So I pointed out that I 'know' there is a fix for this issue, and it requries a software update. She asked if I'd found this on the 'internet forums'. I said I had and also that a friend was booked in to have his updated at the same dealership! Ah, the penny dropped, "you haven't been talking to Mr xxx (Phoenix21st) by any chance?" I said "yes, and he's having his car updated at your dealership tomorrow and I want the same update, please".

In the end I was told,... "let's see how it goes with Phoenix21st update and then we can call you next week to arrange to book your car in".

All of this and the other UK posts above don't give a comfortable feeling that UK dealers 'know' enough about the issue and the fix (perhaps apart from Sytner, High Wycombe, re: Darren's comment... but that's a long drive for me!).
      07-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #38
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Dar2008, i took it in last night so that hey could work on it straight away this morning. They mentioned you called tbh i have been badgering her (Jamie) a bit to the point that i think she is p*ssed off with me, but meh! Its in for ista/p update and ignored down shift request. They haven't called to say there was an issue yet so hopefully all ok. I will call in a while to see how it going.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #39
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
Dar2008, i took it in last night so that hey could work on it straight away this morning. They mentioned you called tbh i have been badgering her (Jamie) a bit to the point that i think she is p*ssed off with me, but meh! Its in for ista/p update and ignored down shift request. They haven't called to say there was an issue yet so hopefully all ok. I will call in a while to see how it going.
Good stuff... hopefully they won't put 62 miles on your car!
      07-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #40
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hello people i know 62 miles is ridiculous and i let them know that i was very unhappy about this but they just kept going over the technical details etc and said that they had to get on the dual carriage way and there aren't many close by in battersea. did any body else who has had the update have the technician run those miles or close to??

following on from my previous post there is still a 'hint' of lag, but nowhere near as much as before. p.s. i hit my record high 2day 25mpg!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
hello people i know 62 miles is ridiculous and i let them know that i was very unhappy about this but they just kept going over the technical details etc and said that they had to get on the dual carriage way and there aren't many close by in battersea. did any body else who has had the update have the technician run those miles or close to??

following on from my previous post there is still a 'hint' of lag, but nowhere near as much as before. p.s. i hit my record high 2day 25mpg!!
My technician only needed 5 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #42
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
p.s. i hit my record high 2day 25mpg!!
HOW!? did you get out and push the last few miles???
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #43
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
HOW!? did you get out and push the last few miles???
on the motorway with very light footing, very surprised though as i did quite a bit of overtaking.....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #44
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaStick View Post
My technician only needed 5 miles.
Thats terrible... i am not really sure what to do about that? any suggestions?
like i said they needed to get the car out on the dual carriageway and there aren't any near by where the service centre is.
maybe they were more thorough with the update than other service centres??? battersea aftersales is quite reputable so i just took their word for it.
what do you people think i should do??
Appreciate 0