BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Lightbulb New iPhone & BMW ::: New iPhone (iPod)

Holly Molly,

This guy (Steve Jobs) and his team do it again; Pure GENIUS!

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

This is just the thing I was waiting for. Oh well there goes my 5 month old 80GB iPod , someone in the family will be happy

Can't wait to see how it Integrate with the BMW MOST ... one of the reasons I did not get it, I kinda knew something like this was coming .

This thing is Money

Play around here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/
Attached Images

Last edited by Norsk; 01-09-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

bad news for ya...i doubt this will work with idrive. Every smartphone i liked...it ends up that i cant use it with idrive cuz idrive stuff are so outdated
      01-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
steveo8998
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Thats sweet, where did you get the picture?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep
Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

seems like this is the talk of the town everywhere now.

i remember seeing pictures of this product on some site a while ago, but didn't notice or realize what it was until now.

looks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo8998
Thats sweet, where did you get the picture?
They are all over the place (check out www.engadget.com for dozens).

It will be interesting if they will finally start supporting BlueTooth 2.0 in the cars for "integration" of the iPOD. This would work according to the specs of the phone.

Unfortunately, the phone can not replace a blackberry or windows mobile device with push technology. True, it can be "synced" to push yahoo email accounts, but you can forget accessing your Outlook information on demand.

Plus, the price is pretty crazy at $599 WITH 2-year contract for 8gb.

-Brett
      01-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Hossam
Private
Rep
Drives: 323Ci

Watch a great demo on apple.com!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

I'll probably sit out gen 1 of the iphone ... I'm a macboi that was pretty excited about today's keynote and the possibility of the announcement.

Couple of big issues for me:
1) and this may be explained before launch ... no direct Exchange server integration. I don't want imap/pop3, and I don't want to have itunes running on a desktop so that it can pull info from a mapi client (Outlook). I need direct Exchange support.
2) No built in GPS, google maps will be close to useless without it, it'll just be a novelty.
3) 2G instead of 3G ... with that much internet capability not having 3G is a cardinal sin.
4) only 4gb or 8gb for video.
5) Forgot about FCC ... I need a new phone now and I'm probably not going to wait till June.
6) Price. What got me was that the named price *included* the 2yr contract. So unless they come up with some rebate deals that's the price of a ps3 for me. I don't mind spending $299 on a phone. I just can't do that much for the supposed phone + ipod marketing when it's only 4gb or 8gb.

I'm guessing apple will have stuck pretty close to the default bluetooth profile specs. I can't see why they'd stray away from them, unless they needed to for isync. And since isync is so picky about bluetooth specs, I'm guessing there's a good chance it'll work with the BMW bluetooth implementation without issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

This is the sickest thing ever!!!
Apple are such innovaters. And this will rock just as the Ipod did.
It will blow everything else on the market in the water...
Oh and Apple Tv is great as well...
Especially for people like me who always burns content off my Computer to be played on my Tv. No more burning dvd's!! Woohooo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's interesting that a lot of cars now contain technology of a type that typically obsoletes itself within the useful life of a car. So I predict that as my car ages, less and less of its electronic integration will actually work with any current devices. For example, say I keep my car 10 years. In 2016, will I be able to use my bluetooth interface with my phone at that time? Will I be able to play music from the digital audio player of that time (be it some future ipod or something totally different)?

Oh well, I can always just strip the interior out and make it a track car
      01-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's interesting that a lot of cars now contain technology of a type that typically obsoletes itself within the useful life of a car.
That's exactly why I don't typically like stuff such as SatNav and bluetooth in my cars. It's the same thing with people who bought cars in 80's with car phones in them. Eventually the tech went away.

Bluetooth will be around for a bit, but it'll eventually be superseded by wireless usb as the need for a bigger data pipe comes up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

It looks pretty nice, but I won't think about one until it can actually replace my old 2nd generation iPod and that means that one comes out with a min storage of 30 gig. One think I've noticed with my smaller capacity music player (new samsung phone with 1 gig capacity and small sony mp3 player with 512mb capacity) they have their uses, but until I can hold all my music collection on it I get sick of swapping the music on them and eventually they don't get used.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
I'll probably sit out gen 1 of the iphone ... I'm a macboi that was pretty excited about today's keynote and the possibility of the announcement.

Couple of big issues for me:
1) and this may be explained before launch ... no direct Exchange server integration. I don't want imap/pop3, and I don't want to have itunes running on a desktop so that it can pull info from a mapi client (Outlook). I need direct Exchange support.

+1 Same here, I have a BlackBerry and I would want direct Integration as well and even if I was coming from windows Mobile it would be the same.

2) No built in GPS, google maps will be close to useless without it, it'll just be a novelty.

I was just digging into that and it's not that bad for me as I use a pretty cool software on my PC when it happens that I want to look up somewhere or something + I chose when I want to use the GPS card or not (95% don't need the GPS). So that's O.K. for me & would just avoid me using my laptop.

3) 2G instead of 3G ... with that much internet capability not having 3G is a cardinal sin.
+1 on that, 3G is a must today for active users (I'm one ).

4) only 4gb or 8gb for video.
Not to good, would need at least 30GB to replace my truly replace my current iPod

5) Forgot about FCC ... I need a new phone now and I'm probably not going to wait till June.
I was thinking more of it to replace my personal cell phone (for personal SMS, e-mail, etc.) as the BB is more for Business.

6) Price. What got me was that the named price *included* the 2yr contract. So unless they come up with some rebate deals that's the price of a ps3 for me. I don't mind spending $299 on a phone. I just can't do that much for the supposed phone + iPod marketing when it's only 4gb or 8gb.

+10 on that, the early bird does not get the worm in this case, he gets the rocks, sand and roots It's always good to give those little things about 6 months and the better offers start coming out.

I'm guessing apple will have stuck pretty close to the default bluetooth profile specs. I can't see why they'd stray away from them, unless they needed to for isync. And since isync is so picky about bluetooth specs, I'm guessing there's a good chance it'll work with the BMW bluetooth implementation without issues.

Hi obLu,

Great Analysis & an other reason I love this forum and it's member... quite a sharp bunch . Responses in Blue.

I got excited as well, but after the excitement I get down to business and dig into the data, the nitty gritty and the fine print. As for my comment of getting passing on my 80GB iPod, that will have to wait as I have about 35GB of Music and Video in there.

I would say that this will attract more of a consumer market type of user (Treo, BB7100 & Pearl, Cell Phone, PDA & some Windows Mobile users).

The greater majority Business Users and Professionals with the BB7200 & BB8700 will not go for this.

In terms of a strictly get down down to business, nothing beats the BB7200 & BB8700 and for me it meets 150% of my needs.

But I still want one of those little puppies eventually (Landscape Mode is so Hot) ... so I guess I'll wait, just as I waited for the iPod Video & More than 40GB to be out before getting the new gen.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
wushuhsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sports Sedan

1. iPods have 80GB capacity. iPhone only has 8GB. That's a lot less songs and videos in a unit that can do more stuff. The next generation iPhone will need to fix this for sure, else I can't really use the iPhone as a replacement for my iPod and cellphone, which is what Steve Jobs says the iPhone is intended to do.

2. Only has EDGE and not HSPDA. EDGE is painful. Like minutes to download a map and then minutes again to zoom in or scroll around. Painful.

3. No GPS. Phones are starting to come with GPS now. For a do-it-all device, this is a big omission.

4. Still no FM radio. :-( Need this to watch the TVs at the gym.

Otherwise, this is a beautiful gadget! I just love gadgets.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

Default bluetooth profile specs? What DEFAULT specs. The specs are so loosey goosey they are subject to great interpretation and modification and can still remain in spec.

That is why, out of the 25 mobiles I have sitting here, only a few are really compatible with our cars and the problems that create incompatibilities are all over the place.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Default bluetooth profile specs? What DEFAULT specs. The specs are so loosey goosey they are subject to great interpretation and modification and can still remain in spec.

That is why, out of the 25 mobiles I have sitting here, only a few are really compatible with our cars and the problems that create incompatibilities are all over the place.
+1

That is the great thing about standards, there are so many to choose from

There are so many Bluetooth stacks and many do not interoperate.

Honestly, there is no point to this Apple device and no point of Apple dropping the "Computer" from its name. They are turing into a great marketing company.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
its a great idea, yet it lacks the storage, which turns me off.
      01-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
That's exactly why I don't typically like stuff such as SatNav and bluetooth in my cars. It's the same thing with people who bought cars in 80's with car phones in them. Eventually the tech went away.

Bluetooth will be around for a bit, but it'll eventually be superseded by wireless usb as the need for a bigger data pipe comes up.

That's why we lease cars and change them up every 2-3 years
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #18
triton.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit

Garage List
2009 FIT  [2.00]
Ugh, not a big fan of 100% touchsreen devices. I like tactile feedback. If it were about 2 inches smaller and just played music / video with a higher capacity, I'd be all for it.

My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Garage List
Keep in mind... BMW has their own electronic products that will launch mid January. It'll be interesting to see what they've developed.

From the looks of their products, it seems like it might rival Apple's products or at least be compatible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple person. I love the products and have several at home, but they change too quick.

I agree with some of the post. If I were to get this, I'd wait for the 3rd generation if at all. I've purchased and given several away as prizes and presents but I still don't own an iPod.
      01-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #20
scb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuhsu
1. iPods have 80GB capacity. iPhone only has 8GB. That's a lot less songs and videos in a unit that can do more stuff. The next generation iPhone will need to fix this for sure, else I can't really use the iPhone as a replacement for my iPod and cellphone, which is what Steve Jobs says the iPhone is intended to do.
it'll replace my 4GB nano just fine
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind... BMW has their own electronic products that will launch mid January. It'll be interesting to see what they've developed.
I'm almost beginning to wonder from the videos, if the product they're hinting at isn't a partnership with Apple to integrate the iphone into future BMW production cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm almost beginning to wonder from the videos, if the product they're hinting at isn't a partnership with Apple to integrate the iphone into future BMW production cars.
I'm thinking the same thing. Let's keep our fingers crossed!