BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

11-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

just out of curiosity, is it even worth it to use lossless for the car? are the speakers good enough so that you could tell the difference? im no audiophile or anything like that but considering all the factors that go into building/putting together a stereo system i just dont see how the car can provide the right environment...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #24
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
just out of curiosity, is it even worth it to use lossless for the car? are the speakers good enough so that you could tell the difference? im no audiophile or anything like that but considering all the factors that go into building/putting together a stereo system i just dont see how the car can provide the right environment...
Yes an no. If you can't tell the difference between say a 320kpbs encoded file vs lossless in a controlled environment than no its not worth it for the car. If you only have the factory audio system then no its not. If you have the right system tuned correctly and have the ear for it, yes it is noticeable.
      11-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #25
ImStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL 04

It's also a convenience factor for me - at home, I encode my CDs with Apple Lossless, so I don't want to go through the hassle to recode everything again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Yes an no. If you can't tell the difference between say a 320kpbs encoded file vs lossless in a controlled environment than no its not worth it for the car. If you only have the factory audio system then no its not. If you have the right system tuned correctly and have the ear for it, yes it is noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #26
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Is there a size limit on flash drives I can use? I just had my 2nd ipod stolen from my car. I don't want to keep my ipod in the car anymore.

Last edited by leJUNd; 11-02-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Space View Post
Yeah, FLAC won't work.
I have used FLAC files from EAC and they work fine.
      06-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I have used FLAC files from EAC and they work fine.
can you confirm once again if FLAC lossless files, specifically 192khz/24bit files, work on the 11 iDrive?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #29
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
can you confirm once again if FLAC lossless files, specifically 192khz/24bit files, work on the 11 iDrive?

I very highly doubt that flac files will work. As I have mentioned in other posts, I have attempted the use of many different flac files, and they do not work.

If you want lossless, you will have to go with WAV or WMA. These files are larger, but supported by the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #30
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStig View Post
Has anyone with a 2011.5 able to play Apple Lossless via the USB input?
Yep.
This is a response I wrote in another ipod thread:

When I load cds onto my ipod gen5, I tell itunes to load the music onto my ipod using lossless format. In my no i-drive M3 (10/2010 build), the resulting music quality is very good and sounds, to my older ears, anyway, very similar, if not almost equal to, the cd from whence the music came. In some cases, especially where the cd was more recently recorded, I can tell that the speakers in my car are distinguishing between musical instruments & voices, e.g., voices left speaker, drums right speaker. I believe this is all possible because I've recorded music on my ipod using the Apple lossless format.
I would also add that the ipod gen 5 contains a chipset which, according to some reviewers, recreates better sound than the more recently produced ipods.

I use the cable I got with my ipod for both the car usb hookup and downloading from the computer usb port.

Be advised, I am downloading from cds. My understanding is cds are a high quality source for music downloads. I've read the music is not as high a quality when you download from a website.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #31
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I have played MP3 at 320kps VBR using an USB stick thru the 6FL without issues...
Same here in an '08, so should work on ALL M3s.

OP, if you can make a USB work it's the best solution. No need to charge it, doesn't fail, and nobody wants to steal it . Plus you can manipulate the information any way you want. I make the info fit on my iDrive screen, and put the album name before the track number, then shorten song name if necessary to fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #32
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

^^^^^
I play uncompressed WAV through the USB connection off a SSD, so 320 MP3 shouldnt be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Past 192 kbps WMAs I can't hear any digital artifacts with most music. Biggest difference I notice as bitrate goes up is spacial imaging gets better. WMA lossless FTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
^^^^^
I play uncompressed WAV through the USB connection off a SSD, so 320 MP3 shouldnt be a problem.
Can one add ID3 tag info to WAVs?
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #34
ajskydiver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStig View Post
Has anyone with a 2011.5 able to play Apple Lossless via the USB input?
I picked up my 2011 w/EPS, which I really like, in May and have been experimenting with various formats since my iPod will freeze up frequently if I leave it plugged in all the time. I will probably be switching to a USB drive or SSD if I can leave it plugged in all the time.

- Apple Lossless (ALAC) does NOT work unless it's through the iPod
- 48 khz WAV files will NOT work [Rush Moving Pictures 5.1 ripped]

I'll probably try WMA lossless soon, although I'm not sure if it's worth the time since my library is all 320 VBR stereo MP3(min bitrate 190ish).

I cannot hear the difference between high quality (320 VBR) MP3, AAC, or WMA.
I can't even distinguish high bitrate lossy files vs their lossless counterparts.

The odd design decisions between album art from the console but not if transferred to the HDD, transfer only from in glove box, etc. seem totally arbitrary and stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #35
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajskydiver View Post
I cannot hear the difference between high quality (320 VBR) MP3, AAC, or WMA.
I can't even distinguish high bitrate lossy files vs their lossless counterparts.
Ditto. I ripped my 1992 remastered led zeppelin boxset in various formats for a sample of titles, and honestly, AAC/MP3 256k VBR and above was no different to my ears than than WAV for those titles. I don't have premium sound, but I really don't think it matters either way, EPS or no EPS, the stereo options from the factory aren't that great and probably not worth the hard drive space and effort to do a lossless library for the car, IMHO.

Quote:
The odd design decisions between album art from the console but not if transferred to the HDD, transfer only from in glove box, etc. seem totally arbitrary and stupid.
Amen. iPod and glove box USB port get album art and internal HDD doesn't. That is just lame. Pure and simple, just lame.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #36
ajskydiver
Private
United_States
Rep

Tried WMA lossless today and they didn't work either.

The files were read properly, artist/title/album art -- just wouldn't play.

Thinking about trying an SSD instead of the iPod since it continues to freeze up every so often and has to be reset to work again.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #37
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:

Thinking about trying an SSD instead of the iPod since it continues to freeze up every so often and has to be reset to work again.
Have you tried reformatting the iPod itself? In an attempt to stop the freezing? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #38
ajskydiver
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
Have you tried reformatting the iPod itself? In an attempt to stop the freezing? Just a thought.
I have tried that several times and also made sure it had the latest firmware (which it did.)

I've been using the same 160GB iPod classic for about 3 years without a single issue with an Alpine head unit in my S2000. It worked every single time for 3 years and in the BMW it was hit or miss.

I think, from what I've read on the e90 forums, that it's a power issue on start up. Some times the car seems to boot right away and the iPod would work...but if it sat overnight and did a "cold" boot, the iPod didn't get enough power or wasn't initialized properly and locked up.

I just bought an Intel 120 GB SSD and it's working perfectly and has very, very small power requirements...so I'll see how it goes and post with more information when I've used it more.

Already though, it's amazingly fast to read and switch songs -- album art is instantaneous, no lag between songs, etc. As it should be!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:

What bit depth/sample rate are your WMA Lossless files? 16 bit/44.1 KHz or below is the only format of WMA Lossless that will play on the updated iDrive. I have over 1,000 WMA Lossless files on my USB stick, and they all play flawlessly. I tried 24/96 WMA Lossless from the Beatles USB collection, and they failed to play. While 16/44.1 isn't the most ideal format, it is the combo that CDs use, and anything above that is rare in the music industry.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
gemurdock
BMWCCA Member
Rep
Drives: '11 AW ZCP ZTP E92, '21 X5 M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
What bit depth/sample rate are your WMA Lossless files? 16 bit/44.1 KHz or below is the only format of WMA Lossless that will play on the updated iDrive. I have over 1,000 WMA Lossless files on my USB stick, and they all play flawlessly. I tried 24/96 WMA Lossless from the Beatles USB collection, and they failed to play. While 16/44.1 isn't the most ideal format, it is the combo that CDs use, and anything above that is rare in the music industry.
Ditto. I use WMA lossless at 16/44.1 without a problem. That is not an upsampling transport in your dash, just an upscale radio/CD player. What were you really expecting (or capable of hearing) in a car?
      02-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Hi, did a search and found this thread.

Car is an 09 coupe with a USB input in the glove box. I play music through the aux in the armrest with an aftermarket SiriusXM.

Is there a way I can somehow leverage the 8Gb music collection I have on Itunes to somehow convert it to a USB stick to attach it to the glove box input, and leave my SiriusXM connected also?

Just need some Cliffs on how to do this, if possible...TIA...
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #42
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

This may be a stupid question but I don't see a USB slot on my 09 m3. Am I missing something or where are you guys plugging the USB into?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #43
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
This may be a stupid question but I don't see a USB slot on my 09 m3. Am I missing something or where are you guys plugging the USB into?

Rick, try looking in your arm rest or glove box. There should be USB slots

welcome back to the BMW world
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkweisberg View Post
I'm looking to enjoy the better sound quality mentioned in other posts regarding USB flash drives. Does anybody know which format I should configure the USB flash drive under so the car recognizes it (I have a Mac). Also will Apple lossless files work? If you cannot play lossless files off of the flash drive I would think you are better off using your iPod with lossless files over a usb flash drive with MP3 quality files. I downloaded some apple lossless files on a usb flash drive and the car did not recognize the drive. Want to see if its something I'm doing wrong...
Me too! But on my f30, wave and WMA encoded were no go either;( why, I don't understand
Appreciate 0