BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #67
deltamonkey32
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Matte White e90 ///M3

ok, i just turned 16 about a month ago and but i dont get my liscnese until december. i am getting a brand new 2011 bmw m3. i have been a car fanatic since i was 8 and have been fascinated by cars. i knew right away that when i could get a car i would make sure its a respectable one and for some reason ive been set on m3's since the new body stile came out in 08. my dad is an entrepreneur and has been since he started his first business 20 years ago. being around him for some many years has rubbed off on me and i have been trying to start businesses since i was 10. we are not rich but my dad helped me start my own company about a year ago and i work about 4 hours a day during the school week and even more on the weekend while juggling school work for honors classes. we are not crazy wealthy and my parents r not buying this car for me, i am paying for it 100%(gas, insurance,tags,etc.). this is the nicest car in our garage and it is mine. i know everything about this car, every specification about it and every small detail. i have done hours of research on the history and how safe these cars r in accidents. i have been set to driving school and they drilled into my head that i will never text and drive, they showed me accidents caused by txting and driving and the effects it has on the world aound us. let me say that this one teen who will never txt and drive OR willing ride in the car while anyone else is txting and driving. and not all teenagers are like how you are describing them. some of them actually work their ass off for the car and respect everything about it and its abilities. just my .02 cents on the topic from a first car m3 owner
      10-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Don't project yourself to other people. Plenty of people can handle a 50-60K 3-series at 16. It's really not that big of a deal outside of internet forums.
read what you quoted again? i said me personally which rules out projecting? it certainly is a big deal. i bought a 600 dollar car for my first car because thats what i could afford based on wages. i had a job. to expect or think its normal to have a 60k car as your first vehicle is very far outside the norm.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #69
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamonkey32 View Post
i know everything about this car, every specification about it and every small detail. i have done hours of research on the history and how safe these cars r in accidents.
None of that helps you to actually drive the car. Researching something and knowing facts about it is a lot less important than actual driving experience.

Quote:
i have been set to driving school and they drilled into my head that i will never text and drive, they showed me accidents caused by txting and driving and the effects it has on the world aound us. let me say that this one teen who will never txt and drive OR willing ride in the car while anyone else is txting and driving.
Texting and driving is just the latest fad in driving safety. No one here has mentioned it, because you'd damn well better be smart enough not to text and drive. There are a lot of other hazards that have nothing to do with texting that you don't get experience with in driver's ed. Combining lack of experience with a fast car is asking for trouble, no matter how responsible you are.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #70
mazing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
no no no. If I had kids, they need to earn it.
This dad had to bust his butt to be where I am at.
Agreed, no M at that age, civic is more likely
      10-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #71
deltamonkey32
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Matte White e90 ///M3

Texting and driving is just the latest fad in driving safety. No one here has mentioned it, because you'd damn well better be smart enough not to text and drive. There are a lot of other hazards that have nothing to do with texting that you don't get experience with in driver's ed. Combining lack of experience with a fast car is asking for trouble, no matter how responsible you are.[/QUOTE]

i meant that i am aware of what the car is capable of, what damage can be done with a car like this, and that i not a teen driver who is easily distracted behind the wheel. i also forgot to mention that i have experience with high performance motorized vehicles (i have raced motocross, go karts, etc) but i am not reckless while driving a car on the street and i am aware that racing needs to stay on the track, that street racing crap is unacceptable because you are putting other innocnet people as well as your self in danger.
      10-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #72
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

fuck no, i had to drive a corolla so he's also driving a beat up corolla. My kid will appreciate the value of a dollar.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #73
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I think the general consensus is that if you’re a teenager driving a $60K+ BMW M3, then, you probably have rich (or well-off) parent’s and\or you live at home with them. I'm not saying this is you...

Most parents may see that this doesn't give their child the value of money or other values (most cases, not necessarily yours)...

So, generally speaking, parents wouldn't buy their kid a $60k+ car, even if they could afford it....
lol, he's not 16. Jon/AudiS5 stop spreading lies. We all know you're really 5 hahaha.

But seriously, I'm 18. Now I don't drive an M3 but I drive a highly modified 335i and I've had the car for almost a year. I don't have any points and have never received a ticket. It depends on the individual. Yeah, maybe I didn't pay for most of my car, but to each his own. At least I paid the down payment + 20%. Just cause ones parents buy nice things for their kids, does not mean they're spoiled.

It just means the parents are well off and want to provide the best for their kids. Nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #74
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
These type of threads always bring out the old haters who showcase their jealousy by belittling younger buyers. The car is not expensive, a 16yr old car enthusiast working two jobs can afford one and probably gets a ton of enjoyment out of it. Get over it. Said 16yr old could probably whoop your ass on the track too if with some seat time.

Scenario A: 40 yr old posts new BMW on BMW forums with some pictures

Response: "Oh, that's beautiful" "Oh, that's great"

Scenario B: 16-21 yr old posts new BMW on BMW forums with some pictures

Responses regardless of how car was acquired:

"you don't understand the value of money"
"you don't know how to drive that car"
"you should thank daddy"
I think you're getting too defensive. I think there is a general consensus of people who are being "realistic" not "hating."
It is NOT very common for a teenager to own a $60k+ car unless they are living with their parents or their parents bought it for them. Obviously the car is not that expensive if you have either one of those conditions...

However, if you're working 2 jobs- live on your own, are a teenager and have one of these cars, then, hats off to you
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #75
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
fuck no, i had to drive a corolla so he's also driving a beat up corolla. My kid will appreciate the value of a dollar.
Yes.
This board can be so disappointing. Some people that make sense and a bunch of 20 and under guys that say how they can afford the car or have "earned" it and "bought" it themselves. For a $70k car, do you have $100k in the bank after buying it?
Back to the OP, sell the M3 and get her an SLK, or maybe an RX350. She'll love you more and everyone will be a lot more safe.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #76
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
This is a M3 forum so who cares how someone got their M3! It doesn't matter if you worked 80hrs a week for 6 years or if parents bought you one for a 16th Bday present! We all love the car and should be happy we have one! Everyone has different opinions on what car is appropriate for a 1st car and the OP will do what he feels is right for his daughter. If she wants the M3 you should let her have it but if she doesn't, get her something else. You must think she's responsible enough to handle the M if you're considering it...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #77
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Yes.
This board can be so disappointing. Some people that make sense and a bunch of 20 and under guys that say how they can afford the car or have "earned" it and "bought" it themselves. For a $70k car, do you have $100k in the bank after buying it?
Back to the OP, sell the M3 and get her an SLK, or maybe an RX350. She'll love you more and everyone will be a lot more safe.
My kid has an 04 325xi with 86,000 miles on it....Put snows on it in the winter and all seasons the rest of the year.

I bought it after a new, leased Honda CRV was totaled by him (his first car), cause I'm a bmw fanatic and we live in the snow belt too..Oh, and the car has great crash test ratings and head air bags too.

No way I would give him something as powerful as an "M" car right away. Not till he proves to me to be CONSISTENTLY capable of responsible behaviors and decisions.

Personally, I think all 16-19 year old boys are just plain in-experienced. Many of them are dumb simply because their brains have not had enough time to develop

No, no M3 in this house unless it's 50 year old dad driving it
      10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #78
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamonkey32 View Post
i meant that i am aware of what the car is capable of, what damage can be done with a car like this, and that i not a teen driver who is easily distracted behind the wheel. i also forgot to mention that i have experience with high performance motorized vehicles (i have raced motocross, go karts, etc) but i am not reckless while driving a car on the street and i am aware that racing needs to stay on the track, that street racing crap is unacceptable because you are putting other innocnet people as well as your self in danger.
Do you not find it the least bit absurd that you're trying to argue what a skilled and safe driver you are and you don't even have your license yet?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #79
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Do you not find it the least bit absurd that you're trying to argue what a skilled and safe driver you are and you don't even have your license yet?!?
+1
And the jokes go on!

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #80
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
I bought it after a new, leased Honda CRV was totaled by him (his first car)
How did he total it?

Just a little factoid for everyone:
For each mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are about four times more likely than other drivers to crash.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #81
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Big and slow is the best car for a teenager.
Daughter + big back seat =

How about a Smart Fortwo?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #82
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

I know im in no right or in no position to say anything because Im not a father and i'm only 19 but sometimes you just gotta trust your kids. My parents got me the m3 as a high school present after i got my license when i was 17. I know im spoiled and all but Im very fortunate and lucky to have these kind of parents. The M3 has been with me for quite sometime now and i've got no speeding tickets nor have I gotten into any car accident. I tend to be on the goody good side just because my parents were willing to pour 100k on me and I hope I can return this one day when I graduate from university but as for now, I return there love and generosity by working my ass off at school and not letting them down.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #83
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
lol, he's not 16. Jon/AudiS5 stop spreading lies. We all know you're really 5 hahaha.

But seriously, I'm 18. Now I don't drive an M3 but I drive a highly modified 335i and I've had the car for almost a year. I don't have any points and have never received a ticket. It depends on the individual. Yeah, maybe I didn't pay for most of my car, but to each his own. At least I paid the down payment + 20%. Just cause ones parents buy nice things for their kids, does not mean they're spoiled.

It just means the parents are well off and want to provide the best for their kids. Nothing wrong with that.
I am a reasonably well off parent. Providing the "best" for my kids has nothing to do with providing excessive material goods. Providing the 'best" for my kids (in relation to this topic) means teaching them some proper values and perspectives on money. I am not saying that kids of affluent parents should be driving a piece of crap, but how about a little moderation. What's wrong with a new Civic or a Jetta as a first car? Want to take it a little further....how about a 2 year old 128i coming off a lease?
      10-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #84
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
I say it depends on the kid. I'm 18 with an 08 E92 M3 so maybe my view is skewed. I got a Honda CR-V as my first car when I was 16, 2010 Camaro SS when I was 17, and M3 when I turned 18. Maybe give your daughter a beater car for her first year of driving (keep the M3) and then give her the M3 a year later?

My advice is probably not that great since everyone votes "no" so far. I'm just trying to point out that not every teen with a fast car will be wreckless (yes, I agree the majority will be). Plus you have a daughter and not a son, maybe that will help? haha
YES I agree. It really depends on the kid. I for one arnt too keen on speeding whenever I get the chance too. But some fuckers out there can quickly total their car in a matter of seconds. You just gotta figure out what kind of kid you got there and if you know they dont speed and such, you just gotta trust them.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #85
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
How did he total it?

Just a little factoid for everyone:
For each mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are about four times more likely than other drivers to crash.
Didn't yield properly turning left. 16.5 years old. I'll forever be grateful to that Honda CRV. . One of the best decisions I've made as a dad
      10-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #86
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

Your kids are supposed to do better than you.
this doesnt mean accumulating more material goods. most times an indulged child will turn out worse than their parents if the focus is on stuff, not hard work and values.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #87
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7-seven View Post
I know im spoiled and all but ...
Says it all right there ...

Quote:
I know im in no right or in no position to say anything because Im not a father and i'm only 19 but sometimes you just gotta trust your kids. My parents got me the m3 as a high school present after i got my license when i was 17. I know im spoiled and all but Im very fortunate and lucky to have these kind of parents. The M3 has been with me for quite sometime now and i've got no speeding tickets nor have I gotten into any car accident. I tend to be on the goody good side just because my parents were willing to pour 100k on me and I hope I can return this one day when I graduate from university but as for now, I return there love and generosity by working my ass off at school and not letting them down.
Your parents aren't getting their $100k worth in English class ...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #88
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
You old people are funny. 100K in the bank after buying it? What does that prove? That you just spent 41% of your prior bank balance on a rapidly depreciating liability?

Kids these days can make 100K/yr their first year out of college, and that's not out of a good b-school. Plus all the drop outs and hippies are currently running around the country "protesting" instead of trying to get jobs or work, so now it's even easier to excel.

Your kids are supposed to do better than you. Just because you had to drive around in a beater dosen't mean you have to inflict the same fate on them. Maybe when they are older they'll be writing happy anecdotes on the internet about their first (nice) car rather than spreading the hate.
Preach!
Appreciate 0