E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > advice needed, lacking knowledge and mechanicaly ignorant.

11-05-2023, 05:17 AM   #1
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

advice needed, lacking knowledge and mechanicaly ignorant.

Hi folks can anyone help? I have a 2012 e92 328i xdrive coupe, manual tran with 80k miles on it now and my suspension is fixen to get overhauled. I have a cv boot that needs repair and while im at it thought it would be good to replace the front shocks and other components in the suspension based off the forum members experience and knowledge. I know the struts need replacing, and the control arms, would it be wise to change out things like the strut mounts, any of the bushings, bars, grommets or just anthing in bettween the tires and strut mounts? Also looking for a smoother ride and ditching the run flats. any suggestions for a quiet as possible all season tire, and type of replacement strut? Thanks in advance for taking time to read and offer suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
What are your goals for the car? New but stock performance? Sporty daily driver? Lower/stiffer?

Ditching the run-flats will definitely help with the ride harshness.

As for other items, I'd ask a mechanic you trust to give you a thorough inspection of the front end including axles, ball joints, boots, bushings, control arms, thrust bearings, etc. Your strut tops are probably fine, but will present themselves as needing replacement when you swap struts (or coilovers, if you choose).

Bilstein makes good stock shock replacements, and also offer some lowering options to pair with lowering springs. There are comparably priced (relatively) coilovers that may suit you as well like ST or KW (and others).

I'd leave the sway bar alone, unless something's wrong with it. Where you're an xdrive, it'll just add more understeer. With a good alignment and tire pressure management, the stock setup is pretty neutral, particularly with DTS on. Also, because you're Xdrive, you'll not be able to upgrade to M components up front (they only match up for the rears). I do think the rear ///M upgrades were worth it, however.

I liked the Conti ExtremeContacts on my wife's audi for an all season (hers were DWS, but you won't need the S based on your location).
Appreciate 0