BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

12 years in the making...

Gonna keep this story short and sweet. My first car, in college, was a 1992 325i, white sedan. I loved that car although I basically saved it from the junk yard on the cheap. When I got the car, I fell in love with the M3. I knew it would be "the car" I'd have to own before I die.

Fast forward 12 years and I now have her. 2011.75 alpine white E90 sedan with convenience package, ZCP, premium and I think that's about it. To quench my need for speed I had been driving a 2008 350Z. While it was a wonderful car, this M3 is everything I have been waiting for and then some. Some quick comparisons...

Pros
Seats- M3 wins hands down. Although the 350Z had about 45K on her seats, the ability to grab and hug you are no where close to what the M3 has. I literally feel like the car is hugging me the whole time!

Engine- I seriously don't know how I'm going to keep it below 5500 RPM. I've been an avid motorcyclist for about 8 years and this engine revs just like a sport motorcycle engine. Some responsive and so willing. And the exhaust note... O... M... G...

Suspension- This car even in comfort mode is so much tighter than the 350Z. That's to be expected but by how much is extremely surprising.

Interior- Yes! Yes! Yes! So, so nice! It might get old over time but for now it is so worth the price of admission! I got the fox red/black/black btw and I love it! Definitely not gonna get too bored with this as I had with the black cloth in the 350Z.

Intangibles- Between the ambient lighting and other electrical wizardry, its unfair even comparing them to the 350Z. I didn't buy the 350 for its "comfort" settings and while I didn't necessarily go "hunting" for them on the M3 either, what is there is a nice addition given the price of admission

Cons
Shifter- Definitely liked the short shifter in the 350Z. Feels like you're rowing a canoe with the M3. Gonna take some getting used to but I'm sure I'll live.

Gas mileage- Took her for a ~70 mile cruise and already burned through a 1/4 tank. The price of admission. Gonna see if I can get a "MPG LOL" license plate!

Pics will be coming some time later this week or weekend. Between work and driving, not gonna have much time to get some good ones!

As I was telling me friend, I'm gonna need to put $50 a month into a "speeding ticket and insurance premium increase" fund. I am going to get into so much trouble with her...

P.S. I've named her, Victoria!

P.P.S. In the 9 years I've been living in Baton Rouge, I can count on two hands how many M3's I've seen around. I can count on 3 fingers how many E9X M3's I've seen around. The day I just so happen to get her I somehow run into 2 M3's with one being an E92 coupe. I guess this cars really do gravitate to one another.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Congrats bro. Give Victoria my love.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats! you name your car too?? Might have to resurrect an old thread...

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
cloud8r
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Congrats man! Enjoy her but make sure you break her in gently, she's a virgin!

Seriously though I know the plate reference was probably a joke but based on so many road rage threads and personal experience I'd recommend something least likely to piss other drivers off. Better yet keep the random standard issue plate which is harder for ppl to remember when you're whizzing around :-)

Much enjoyed:
2018 ///M4 ZCP || 2014 ///M5 ZCP || 2011.5 ///M3 Sedan || 2007 ///M Coupe || 2008 550i Sport || 2006 ///M3 ZCP || 2008 X3 3.0si || 2006 325i || 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster || 2003 330ci || 2002 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Congrats, my car is Angela
      06-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramyar View Post
Congrats man! Enjoy her but make sure you break her in gently, she's a virgin!

Seriously though I know the plate reference was probably a joke but based on so many road rage threads and personal experience I'd recommend something least likely to piss other drivers off. Better yet keep the random standard issue plate which is harder for ppl to remember when you're whizzing around :-)
Yeah, I thought about what would happen if I was in front of Prius or other hybrid driven by a "green" person. It would be funny initially but I do believe in not trying to accidentally piss off everyone around me!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I really should sit down and collect all these thoughts at once but its kinda fun just jotting what's on my mind. Some more comparisons...

Steering Wheel - I have never had the joy of using a steering wheel as heavenly as the M3. Nice, plump, and not so slippery as to have your gripping and constantly wiping the sweat off your hands (summer driving for ya...)

Storage - Sadly I gotta give this to the 350Z. As small as that car was, you could hide a bunch of stuff in it very easily. The glove box location was attrocious in the 350Z but there were a lot of other storage sections. The M3, not so much. But, I'll survive. I consider it a good "spring cleaning" exercise!

Engine - I should hold off on making this comparison since she is broken in (and I am being nice and following the break-in suggestions). But even up to 5500, this engine wins! The 350Z was a fine engine and made decent power with a predictable power band. A very linear engine as far as producing power. But this V8... To be honest with you, the power is not what's so awe-inspiring. It's the sound. I'm a big fan of a lovely exhaust sound and this car is near perfect. Maybe after break-in the power will present itself and I make backtrack that statement, but even if she stays the way she is I'm much happier than with the Z.

Steering - The 350Z had a bit heavy of a steering feel. Precise but heavy. The M3 is almost the exact opposite. Light and precise. With the 350, I would go into a turn and it would seem the steering was what was holding up the car from getting through it (if that makes any sense) whereas with the M3, it seems that the steering is pointed and ready to go but is waiting slightly for the body to line itself out. I'll need more miles before I declare a winner here.

Looks - I'll say this. I was walking to the house from the gym this morning and I looked back to check out the car. With the pre-dawn light and street lamp placing a nice contrast that amplified the presense of the power hood on the bonnet I was literally stopped in my tracks for a few seconds admiring it. Never happened with the 350Z, and I suspect it will happen many more times with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 991.1 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq diesel View Post
I really should sit down and collect all these thoughts at once but its kinda fun just jotting what's on my mind. Some more comparisons...

Steering Wheel - I have never had the joy of using a steering wheel as heavenly as the M3. Nice, plump, and not so slippery as to have your gripping and constantly wiping the sweat off your hands (summer driving for ya...)

Storage - Sadly I gotta give this to the 350Z. As small as that car was, you could hide a bunch of stuff in it very easily. The glove box location was attrocious in the 350Z but there were a lot of other storage sections. The M3, not so much. But, I'll survive. I consider it a good "spring cleaning" exercise!

Engine - I should hold off on making this comparison since she is broken in (and I am being nice and following the break-in suggestions). But even up to 5500, this engine wins! The 350Z was a fine engine and made decent power with a predictable power band. A very linear engine as far as producing power. But this V8... To be honest with you, the power is not what's so awe-inspiring. It's the sound. I'm a big fan of a lovely exhaust sound and this car is near perfect. Maybe after break-in the power will present itself and I make backtrack that statement, but even if she stays the way she is I'm much happier than with the Z.

Steering - The 350Z had a bit heavy of a steering feel. Precise but heavy. The M3 is almost the exact opposite. Light and precise. With the 350, I would go into a turn and it would seem the steering was what was holding up the car from getting through it (if that makes any sense) whereas with the M3, it seems that the steering is pointed and ready to go but is waiting slightly for the body to line itself out. I'll need more miles before I declare a winner here.

Looks - I'll say this. I was walking to the house from the gym this morning and I looked back to check out the car. With the pre-dawn light and street lamp placing a nice contrast that amplified the presense of the power hood on the bonnet I was literally stopped in my tracks for a few seconds admiring it. Never happened with the 350Z, and I suspect it will happen many more times with the M3.

Well said...

Enjoy Victoria!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
tricky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Congrats !!

Got to agree with most of your points. I owned a couple of 350Z's prior to my M3 (had a brief stop with a Ford focus ST inbetween - much underrated car by the way) and I always felt the M3 felt like a 350Z on steroids. Just as chuckable from a handling perspective but much higher limits.

With regards to the engine - if youve not gone above 5,500rpm - then I would say its pretty much a wash between the two - below 6K rpm I think the two would be neck and neck - of course once you go above 6K rpm - the M3 is in a different league performance wise to the 350Z but if you restricted both to 6K rpm - I dont think their would be anything in it speed wise.

I did prefer the seats in the 350Z though - although neither are as good as the seats in the Ford (sorry :-( )

Definately agree on fuel though - 350Z got way better mileage and I have to say I think the 350Z is a great looking car (otherwise wouldnt of bought a couple of them )

On the suspension side - one thing I did notice with both 350Z's is they got very loose with mileage - my M3 still seems tight even after 30K miles.

Cheers

Tricky
E90 M3 SSII, 6MT, 19's, EDC, bluetooth, voice, etc. - gone
E46 330i SE, Topaz Blue, 17's - gone
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did a quick 10 minute photo shoot with her this morning.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Nice , congtrats!!
      06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Nice ... congrats
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I haven't looked into it, as I have DCT, but you probably can probably replace the shifter with a shorter one. I know back when I had my E46 M, AC Schnitzer made a nice one.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
SomeRobot
I Heart BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Looks great! Congratulations on the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
P.P.S. In the 9 years I've been living in Baton Rouge, I can count on two hands how many M3's I've seen around. I can count on 3 fingers how many E9X M3's I've seen around. The day I just so happen to get her I somehow run into 2 M3's with one being an E92 coupe. I guess this cars really do gravitate to one another.
Too funny..... I had seen only about 5-6 E9x M3's over the past 3 years up here in New England. In the past month alone, I have seen 4. Picking mine up later today!!!!
      06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Just wait until the first time you take it to 8,400rpm. You won't be disappointed.
      06-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 Mineral Grey/DCT

Congrats and a 6MT!!

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk (gone)
2016 F83 M4 DCT MG/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Congratulations! Man, I thought my 11 year wait was a long time but you have me beat!

I love reading stories like yours. Thanks for sharing and for your review. It makes me even more excited to take delivery of mine. It's going to be a long three months...
Appreciate 0