BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Tony_KB
Life the Universe and Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Competition Coupe

Spacers, and your impressions on handling.

Please comment:

1.- Did it improve or worsen your handling and overall feel of the car.

2.- Did you have any issues with vibration and were they fixed by alignment, balancing etc...

Much appreciated!
      07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
You're not gonna feel a difference with them on. They are primarily for looks. You shouldn't get vibration from a good set.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Adi_D
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Interesting question and it seems to be discussed often. I have a 2011 E90 M3 and I put the 15/12 mm spacers on.

The "look" seems much improved, no vibrations or steering abnormalities. No uneven tire wear. However, the tar and dirt residue from the tires has increased. Not a problem for me, as the car gets cleaned ever one or two weeks.

Most people do not notice a steering feel change, but for me that was the biggest annoyance. I noticed a difference in the "stance feel" right away. Since the tires a little further apart, it felt like the center of gravity was off. Eventually I got used to it, but the feeling was definitely there at first. It did not impact the handling capabilities at all, it was just a feel.

My wife loves it and she uses the car to commute daily, so we kept them on.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Tony_KB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
You're not gonna feel a difference with them on. They are primarily for looks. You shouldn't get vibration from a good set.
Thanks for input, I did it for looks , some people say the wider track improves handling but i doubt it... I did notice a bit of change in feel, maybe not as tight on the turn in, I could be wrong, I did notice a bit of vibration on freeways that have grooves going 80mph, odd thing, it does it sometimes, then it doesn't... Can't figure it out...
      07-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
not true. The wider footprint/stance is felt when pushing the car hard at the track, particularly at the apex, etc.

It is not a big difference, but it is felt...at least in my car.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

If you run front spacers, you will feel the front of the car doesnt feel as responsive to steering input as without spacers. Turn in feels a little slower and not as responsive. In my previous car it was pretty pronounced. On the M3 it is not as much but definitely still there. You get used to it but it does feel a bit weird at first.

Obviously the larger the spacer, the more you will feel this. I wouldn't go any larger than 15mm on any setup. I am running 10mm myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Tony_KB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
not true. The wider footprint/stance is felt when pushing the car hard at the track, particularly at the apex, etc.

It is not a big difference, but it is felt...at least in my car.
Don't think I plan tracking with them, most of the threads I read say "take em off for the track" but, just curious, you felt the change using spacers at the track, but for better or worse? In terms of handling ? Did it make you less confident in the car?
      07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

No noticeable changes other than looks for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Tony_KB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
If you run front spacers, you will feel the front of the car doesnt feel as responsive to steering input as without spacers. Turn in feels a little slower and not as responsive. In my previous car it was pretty pronounced. On the M3 it is not as much but definitely still there. You get used to it but it does feel a bit weird at first.

Obviously the larger the spacer, the more you will feel this. I wouldn't go any larger than 15mm on any setup. I am running 10mm myself.
I did feel that sluggishness, not as crisp... thank you! thought i was going crazy...The look might be worth it though, looks so nasty and aggressive!
      07-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_KB View Post
Don't think I plan tracking with them, most of the threads I read say "take em off for the track" but, just curious, you felt the change using spacers at the track, but for better or worse? In terms of handling ? Did it make you less confident in the car?
Both. In general, they make my car feel better handling wise, albeit I'm not going very agressive (15f, 10r)

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
No noticeable changes other than looks for me.
I too have 15/12 mm spacers installed this season. No clear difference in handling, 120 laps driven with them so far. I'll try to push more to see difference later on.
      07-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

+1. The steering felt too vague to a point where I took them off. I did like how they look.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Using a spacer is no different than using a wheel with a more aggressive offset.
I noticed no difference whatsoever in steering feel or responsiveness with 12.5 mm F/R spacers on my ZCP M3.

I did notice a very slight decrease in the tendency of the back end to come out with DSC off.

For track purposes, if you increase the front track relative to the rear you will decrease understeer.

From a purely scientific standpoint, widening the track will increase the maximum lateral acceleration your car will be capable of before breaking traction.

Basically, I have found no downside whatsoever to spacers, and they do make the car look better. Just get a good set and make sure they are properly installed.
      07-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

lolz
      07-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

front 15s do make the turn in feel stiff or slow. got the same feel going to the 265 fronts though without spacers also.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #16
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I have noticed how my spacers affected the handling the day I installed them. Spacers increase the scrub radius, and this lessens road feel/responsiveness to an extent. Steering effort is also increased. My steering isn't significantly heavier, but it is noticeable. I also noticed more steering kickback on bad roads. I'm only running 10mm spacers too. But I am more confident in my car. Wider track has been beneficial on the back roads. This thing has amazing road holding capabilities with the spacers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Tony_KB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Using a spacer is no different than using a wheel with a more aggressive offset.
I noticed no difference whatsoever in steering feel or responsiveness with 12.5 mm F/R spacers on my ZCP M3.

I did notice a very slight decrease in the tendency of the back end to come out with DSC off.

For track purposes, if you increase the front track relative to the rear you will decrease understeer.

From a purely scientific standpoint, widening the track will increase the maximum lateral acceleration your car will be capable of before breaking traction.

Basically, I have found no downside whatsoever to spacers, and they do make the car look better. Just get a good set and make sure they are properly installed.

I would say from feel and "common engineering sense" that if you widen the front vs the rear you would increase understeer, hence the tendency for the back end not coming out as much when you turn DSC off...
      07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

im running 12.5 spacers all around on stock 220 before lowering the car and didn't noticed any difference. I did notice a hugh difference after lowering the car. If you don't track the car, im sure there is no difference to be felt.
      07-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_KB View Post
I would say from feel and "common engineering sense" that if you widen the front vs the rear you would increase understeer, hence the tendency for the back end not coming out as much when you turn DSC off...
You will increase understeer by widening the rear relative to the front. Do a search. It's all out there, but far too long and complicated for me to get into here.

disclaimer: I am not an engineer. Only going by what I have read from multiple sources.
      07-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Not much of a difference seriously. If you notice a difference, you need to get new spacers or a new life. Either way, you will be better off.