BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

11-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Latest Summary of Potential Future 1 Series, 2 Series, M2, Z1, Z2, X2 Lineup

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
By 2020. BMW hope to have projected sales of over two million units.

The larger majority of this level of sales will be combined MINI/BMW based upon the UKL architecture of around 600,000 units , then you can factor in another large number of dedicated SAV sales before we get to the regular series models. As I have said before welcome to the automobile industry.

It is easy for the question "if I was in charge this what I would do?" But today you have to take in consideration of growing segments , established segments , established markets , new markets and exploiting new niche's. Something BMW is well adapt in.

The rise of the compact premium car is effectively down to current situations. Why are mainstream volume manufacturers struggling in europe when Premium compact cars from Premium manufacturers are creating growth? Nearly twenty years ago we something similar in the executive side of the market , Premium manufacturers wiped out mainstream manufacturers market share practically overnight.
Potentially a similar act can happen again.

MINI currently has a razor-thin profit margin on the standard car , where BMW makes its money with MINI is in the purchase of specific packages and extended personalisation. The next MINI launched next summer will not only help MINI make money off of personalisation , but the car will become more profitable for the first time in its life span. Modern car making is now down to cost and sharing modular architecture provides a cost-effective option.

Individuality is the key to distinguish the BMW from the MINI. Which is why the BMW Active Tourer Concept and its sister car the MINI Traveller which will be seen very soon are effectively the same car but you will never know it everything that should be BMW is BMW and everything that is MINI is MINI. From the design , switchear and even how the car acts the brief was always about distinguishing one brand from another.

If you take the example here. The artist understands the DNA aspect and that a 3dr and 5dr hatch will be coming to rival the Audi A1. That car is derived from the Active Tourer but his its own appearance that benefits its premium entry status. with the proprtions shrunk this render minus the front shows the outline and surfacing of the hatch and it is just not a MINI re-badged with a BMW badge.

To provide greater economies of scale A FWD BMW sedan will become part of the new BMW FWD family. Expanding BMW's entry sporthatch to include a sedan variant aimed at markets for rising sales of small sedans.

As BMW announced lately [report] that up to 11 models could appear from BMW on the UKL architecture with MINI, providing better profits and increased global sales for the small cars division.

So far the FWD BMW/MINI UKL family stands as...

BMW 1 Series Urbanic Compact 3/5dr - Upcoming City hatch based on next MINI, BMW's Audi A1 rival.
MINI 3/5dr - Increased demand leads to the next generation MINI due next year with five drs for the 1st time.

BMW 1 Series Sedan - Baby sedan off the UKL architecture aimed at global markets for small sedans.
MINI Sedan - Sporty four dr MINI aimed at increasing markets for MINI products, potentially could be MINI's best global seller overtaking the Countryman.

BMW 1 Series Active Tourer - Production version of Active Tourer Concept launched at Iaa 2013.
MINI Traveller - MINI variant of the Active Tourer. Designed to show how both cars can co-exist with individual style and flexibility.

BMW 1 Series Urbanic Roadster - BMW's open top variant of the City car inherits two seats only with a rear deck with layed butresses like the BMW 6er Cabrio and BMW i8 designed for clip on roof panel.
MINI Cabrio - Latest F56 rendition of the popular open top MINI.

BMW Z1 Sportster - To provide greater economies of scale The Z1 will be BMW's equivalent to the MINI Coupe and Roadster , but will be FWD and powered by more powerful three cylinder engines. Design derived from well-received 2011 Vision ConnectedDrive concept car.
MINI Roadster - Next Roadster and Coupe will launch with a sportier look which is completely seperate from the standard MINI. MINI design elements will feature but bodywork is not based on the hatch family.

BMW Z1 SportCoupe - Coupe version of the Z1 will complete the BMW Z twins against the MINI twins.
MINI Coupe - Coupe version of Roadster , more individual in appearance.

BMW X1 - Next generation of highly successful SAV moves to the UKL architecture to offer more flexibility.
Also available with xDrive.
MINI Countryman - Next generation of the global MINI juggernaut. heavily shared with BMW X1.

BMW X2 - Sport Activity Coupe variant of the next BMW X1 , FWD with optional xDrive and the first BMW SAC to appear as both a 3dr and 5dr.
MINI Paceman/XL - Next generation of new MINI member will be offered with five dr version as well as 3dr.

BMW F.amily A.ctivity S.ports T.ourer - BMW's hybrid of SAV solidity , MPV space and Touring bodystyle.
MINI Clubman - Current car revisited with more style and more flexibility , more of a Shooting Brake with dynamic raked roof and forward looking proportions.

And of course the next generation 1 Series due in 2017 will resort to being FWD.

Then you can begin the RWD Compact family.

BMW 2 Series Coupe - Coupe version of the 1er hatch. Unique front and rear style , with more sleeker rounded roof but still compact proportions. Premieres IAA 2013.
BMW 2 Series Cabrio - Cabrio version continues unique appearance of the Coupe , retains soft-top.
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe - 4dr addition of 2er Coupe with slightly lengthened wheelbase and roof line, aimed at BMW's RWD dominance against Audi A3 Sedan and Mercedes-Benz CLA. [More Details]
BMW 2 Series Gran Sports Tourer - Hyundai Veloster type A-symmetrical Tourer Coupe inspired by classic 2002 Touring variant, has many admirers in Munich. [More Details]

BMW M2 Coupe - Successor to the BMW 1er M Coupe continues the same formula that made the last car be memorable, no huge competitor in the HP race , four cylinder will bring less weight , which matter most as does more enjoyment and overall feel is considered to be more of a priority than who has the biggest numbers.
BMW M2 Gran Coupe - Baby Coupe inherits a four door brother - 340 HP , Four doors and RWD , Direct competitor to the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG. [More Details]

Production BMW 1 Series Active Tourer Render

Name:  7991164044_76ec00cf5f_o.jpg
Views: 68786
Size:  198.1 KB

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and Gran Sport Tourer Renders

Name:  bmw-2-series-grancoupe.jpg
Views: 23904
Size:  267.3 KB
      11-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

WOW, thanks for info SCOTT26!

So RWD 1-series (F20/F21) will end in 2017.
And M2 coupe will have a 4 cylinder.

Any info about how long the RWD 2-series will live. And will that series turn into FWD too? I hope not!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I love the idea of the M2. I guess I'm going to have to wait another 4 or 5 yrs to get one. So meanwhile I'll enjoy my motorcycle and wait for the M2. Because the new M cars are getting to large for my taste. But I totally understand why they are doing it. If I own the company, I'll probably be doing the same thing. But good thing their bring small models or at least close to the E46 size.

Oh and hopefully, which I thought they'll make the up coming M2 limited production like the 1M. Which alot of fans were left whiching for one like me.

It's going to get really interesting in the coming years.
      11-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
WOW, thanks for info SCOTT26!

So RWD 1-series (F20/F21) will end in 2017.
And M2 coupe will have a 4 cylinder.

Any info about how long the RWD 2-series will live. And will that series turn into FWD too? I hope not!
I would guess the 2 series coupe would stay RWD, especially if this new segment with the Audi A3 sedan and Mercedes CLA catches on because BMW would want a RWD M2 to take on the CLA45 AMG and S3/RS3. Going to FWD would eliminate the M2's biggest advantage over the other two which use FWD-based Haldex AWD systems (anyone who has driven an R32 should know why this is not nearly as awesome as a true AWD system can be, you can also drive an S3 and an S4 back to back and see the big difference in handling).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post

I would assume that to mean that the next generation of the 2-series (based on the 2017+ FWD 1-series platform) will likely be FWD as well. That's a real shame, as it means BMW will no longer make a small RWD car. BMW's smallest RWD platform going forward (no pun intended) is going to be the successor to the F30? The F30 is already a mid-size car, and its successor is only going to get longer. Why is BMW walking away from the market that wants small, capable, RWD cars?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I would assume that to mean that the next generation of the 2-series (based on the 2017+ FWD 1-series platform) will likely be FWD as well. That's a real shame, as it means BMW will no longer make a small RWD car. BMW's smallest RWD platform going forward (no pun intended) is going to be the successor to the F30? The F30 is already a mid-size car, and its successor is only going to get longer. Why is BMW walking away from the market that wants small, capable, RWD cars?
Yupp. I was assuming the same. Hoping I was wrong..
As you say, that would be a real shame.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
scargizmo
Rep
Drives: 135ic 2010 manual

So the 4-cylinder M2 is confirmed. Not the news, but painful never the less: BMW will never make it as light as 1100-1200 kg to be really interesting. A pity.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post
BMW is lost as a brand.
Quite the opposite.
No one can afford to stand still and growth is more important than relying on standing still in established segments and markets.
BMW is not market centric we are global company which caters to the global market.

As I have said numerous times before there is a strategy and the Active Tourer concept confirms this strategy that both MINI and BMW can co-exist in the compact segment, The Active Tourer is possibly not coming to the US because it will not be shown at this weeks LA Autoshow.
BMW have today confirmed that a LWB Active Tourer is considered for the Chinese market since the 5er Li and the latest 3er Li which is outselling Audi's A4L by a considerable margin.

In the auto industry you have to have the ability to identify the trends in the market and where the markets are heading and then plan your strategy accordingly. Today the markets are favouring compact cars , SUV in all sizes and status and crossovers. This is what manufacturers have to work to - what is important to the customer and what is important to the demands of the market.

A recent report regarding the European crisis failed to include BMW's strong european demand for the MINI models, 1er , X1 , 3er , 3er Touring ,X3 and 5er models.

Specific markets cater for more luxury for example so BMW are looking at further options.
Take as an example (but not the only example) BMW's largest market China. They have just anounced another increase, a significant increase over last year that our China projections have now been altered with a new three year plan for increased luxury models.

Also I was recently in India where BMW are also experiencing rapid growth as is Brazil . These markets will demand smaller concepts and the FWD family is the perfect model for continuous growth.

BMW is a different kind of car company we do not think like the others we express our values differently. BMW's main competitor is Mercedes-Benz who also express their values differently.
We stress that individuality in every car and that is why we are number 1.

There is serious interest (which can be registered on the main site about the Active Tourer concept) which so far has many enquiries.
The car was well received by both public and the media and the finished model is not much different, 90% of the concept is in the production car.

The Active Tourer showed the beginning of BMW's journey.
Having seen the first cars that are incoming against competitors and even its MINI sibling. The designers and engineers have fulfilled the brief. Not only do they stand out in appearance but the engineers sought to make the best handling FWD cars , those who have driven the cars claim the next MINI and BMW's Urbanic city car outdrive and outsteer the equivalent Audi A1.

Everybody has an opinion and are allowed to express that opinion.
Nevertheless , I hope you enjoy your Caddy , Audi etc.
      11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
BMW is lost as a brand.
BMW is not lost yet. Are they loosing their way? Maybe, but I think the enthusiast value of the brand lies in the 2-Series. If they screw that up in terms of driving feel then yes they are lost.

I think the most basic cause of this sentiment is that Reithofer is too good of a CEO. He is so concentrated on keeping BMW independent that most of the time the enthusiasts get put on the back burner. Hopefully he will loosen up a bit when BMW reaches their two million car goal.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not only do they stand out in appearance but the engineers sought to make the best handling FWD cars , those who have driven the cars claim the next MINI and BMW's Urbanic city car outdrive and outsteer the equivalent Audi A1.

That wouldn't be very difficult. Some people might like the A1's design, but the handling is not too well. But does the new BMW outdrive and outsteer the best FWD-cars? Is it better than a Ford Focus or Renault Clio RS? Does it beat a Giulietta?

And for the record: I don't have a Caddy or an Audi ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Basically, BMW intends to leverage its brand across wider markets and if that entails FWD, so be it. The fear is that BMW will sacrafice the performance side of the brand to achieve its growth. Sure, they'll still make M3s, M5s, etc., but those cars will be few in numbers and high in price. The question will be what the brand will become if the majority of vehicles being made bear little relationship to the performance cars other than badges and kidney grilles? The announcements essentially confirm that the primary face of the brand is luxury with asperations to performance. Sadly, the word that the M2 will be a low horsepower vehicle suggests that you'll need significantly more money to aquire that famed performance. Anyone thinking that the M2 will be redeemed by being light weight will likely be disappointed because that's not the brand and you're starting with a 2 series platform. It won't be a Toyburu or a Lotus. It will be just like the other entry-level BMW cars - asperational.
      11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Basically, BMW intends to leverage its brand across wider markets and if that entails FWD, so be it. The fear is that BMW will sacrafice the performance side of the brand to achieve its growth. Sure, they'll still make M3s, M5s, etc., but those cars will be few in numbers and high in price. The question will be what the brand will become if the majority of vehicles being made bear little relationship to the performance cars other than badges and kidney grilles? The announcements essentially confirm that the primary face of the brand is luxury with asperations to performance.
On the other side, they may have seen what happened to Porsche's brand image. Nobody really buys a 911; their customers are elderly people who like the comfort of a Panamera or a Cayenne. But everyone still thinks Porsche is a sportscar brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
On the other side, they may have seen what happened to Porsche's brand image. Nobody really buys a 911; their customers are elderly people who like the comfort of a Panamera or a Cayenne. But everyone still thinks Porsche is a sportscar brand.
If Porsche were still independant they would be an interesting comparison, but now they belong to VW which may keep them safe within their niche or may lead to Porsche badges on minivans.
      11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I'm going to miss the song of the inline 6. Have my sights set on the M2 but I'm not sold on the sound of the 4 cylinder.
      11-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
I'm not terribly surprised to learn that the M2 will be delivered with a four cylinder. Remember, the very first M car had a four cylinder. I am really in love with the sound of the engine in my current 135i, but I'd trade it in for turn-in sharpness that rivals a Porsche, which is only possible if you get the weight down.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Well at least the value of my MT 128i coupe will go up because of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Sadly, the word that the M2 will be a low horsepower vehicle suggests that you'll need significantly more money to aquire that famed performance. Anyone thinking that the M2 will be redeemed by being light weight will likely be disappointed because that's not the brand and you're starting with a 2 series platform....
Don't be too anxious regarding the M2.
BMW has learned from the success of the 1M. They know there is a big niche for a small, nimble pure fun car.
The decission to go for an I4 is perfectly right in this direction!
The car will have approx. the same power as the outgoing 1M Coupe but with around 150 kg less weight and a much more refined chassis/suspension.

This combination can be awesome if they make no big faults...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

So when will the next 1er/2er be released in the USA aka when will the replacement for the north america E82 come out! Is IAA in september? so that would probably mean till 2014!
      11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

2 series coupe might be my next car. M2 is a bit of a mystery. If it is a 4 cylinder, it will need gobs of boost, 2 bar or something.
      11-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
by 2020 i will be in a bmw wheel chair.
      11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

I thought both 1 series and 2 series were more comparable to A3.. both about the same size.
A1 is like TINY. It makes Mini Cooper look small. So I don't know how 1 series 3/5 doors are going to be more comparable to A1 than A3.

2 series is competitor to A3 but 1 series is competitor to A1?
1 series and 2 series are supposed to be about the same size, only difference being the style. In comparison, A3 is the similar size as current 1 series but A1 is like MINI Cooper tiny.

But aside from wording of who is who's competitor, I like the plan. Looks like 1 series is going to have many different versions

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 11-26-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quite the opposite.
No one can afford to stand still and growth is more important than relying on standing still in established segments and markets.
BMW is not market centric we are global company which caters to the global market.

As I have said numerous times before there is a strategy and the Active Tourer concept confirms this strategy that both MINI and BMW can co-exist in the compact segment, The Active Tourer is possibly not coming to the US because it will not be shown at this weeks LA Autoshow.
BMW have today confirmed that a LWB Active Tourer is considered for the Chinese market since the 5er Li and the latest 3er Li which is outselling Audi's A4L by a considerable margin.

In the auto industry you have to have the ability to identify the trends in the market and where the markets are heading and then plan your strategy accordingly. Today the markets are favouring compact cars , SUV in all sizes and status and crossovers. This is what manufacturers have to work to - what is important to the customer and what is important to the demands of the market.

A recent report regarding the European crisis failed to include BMW's strong european demand for the MINI models, 1er , X1 , 3er , 3er Touring ,X3 and 5er models.

Specific markets cater for more luxury for example so BMW are looking at further options.
Take as an example (but not the only example) BMW's largest market China. They have just anounced another increase, a significant increase over last year that our China projections have now been altered with a new three year plan for increased luxury models.

Also I was recently in India where BMW are also experiencing rapid growth as is Brazil . These markets will demand smaller concepts and the FWD family is the perfect model for continuous growth.

BMW is a different kind of car company we do not think like the others we express our values differently. BMW's main competitor is Mercedes-Benz who also express their values differently.
We stress that individuality in every car and that is why we are number 1.

There is serious interest (which can be registered on the main site about the Active Tourer concept) which so far has many enquiries.
The car was well received by both public and the media and the finished model is not much different, 90% of the concept is in the production car.

The Active Tourer showed the beginning of BMW's journey.
Having seen the first cars that are incoming against competitors and even its MINI sibling. The designers and engineers have fulfilled the brief. Not only do they stand out in appearance but the engineers sought to make the best handling FWD cars , those who have driven the cars claim the next MINI and BMW's Urbanic city car outdrive and outsteer the equivalent Audi A1.

Scott,

I can see what BMW is doing......they got bit buying up other manufactures in the past and prefer to do most of it in house. It is smart and builds the Brand. Now we all hope they will produce a few hard core sports cars. Maybe it would be a M2, maybe the M3 coupe will be lighter more powerful than the M3 sedan, maybe a M8/10 or all three.

Not all is lost on the M2 having an inline 4 cylinder turbo.
BTW Scott. How much HP did the 4 cylinder BMW F1 car have? I would take half of that in the M2.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread