BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Stripped oil pan

Wanted to share my adventure with a stripped oil pan...

BMW's and many cars in general are prone to this failure whether it's user error or not. My day started yesterday with the car up on ramps for an oil change. Drained the oil for a good hour or two and when I went to install the drain plug back in, it kept spinning and spinning. I knew this day would come and I had done research on how to fix it. Performing a time sert job was the easiest and cheapest route. I ordered the kit on Amazon at 11:50am and it was delivered the same day by 6pm. Today, I bought an adjustable tap handle and went to work. I bought this kit:

TIME-SERT M12 X 1.50 Metric Drain Plug Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SER3PA..._2Yg6xb1DYA4CY

And followed this DIY: http://www.ichibandrives.com/article...-installation/

I definitely recommend a lift or getting the car as high off the ground as possible. I think I did a 95% good job as the time sert didn't sit flush 100% flush. Luckily, the design of the time sert is that it expands when inserted into the new threads. It's been about 8 hours and the drain plug hasn't leaked. My fingers are crossed.

I highly recommend the time sert kit. Although the price isn't favorable, a tow truck and Indy shop will equate to a much higher bill.

Sorry, no pics!
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

BMW 'mechanic' stripped the threads on the last scheduled oil change. Needless to say its the last time BMW touches my car warranty or not. Had a real mechanic repair the threads with a nut-sert and after 4000 miles no leaks.
Appreciate 0