BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

04-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #221
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Anyone here upgrade the sound system yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #222
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Anyone here upgrade the sound system yet?
Not too many do the stereo, most of us are performance junkies.

I did the stereo thing in the 90's, yeah, I am that old.

Anyhow, subs and amps just slow the car down.

Although doing a sub swap to better speakers might be worth it, I've heard that they are a weird impedance though.

Doing door speakers might be good but getting a clean retrofit might be tough.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #223
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Not too many do the stereo, most of us are performance junkies.

I did the stereo thing in the 90's, yeah, I am that old.

Anyhow, subs and amps just slow the car down.

Although doing a sub swap to better speakers might be worth it, I've heard that they are a weird impedance though.

Doing door speakers might be good but getting a clean retrofit might be tough.
What Glenn said hehe.

I had an RSX as well, kinda wish I kept that thing to boot around in winter, car treated me great.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #224
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Dollar for dollar, the RSX Type-S is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Never a problem with it.

BMW though... I had major buyers remorse last year. But after a total of 5 weeks in the shop, my M is now flawless.

As far as the sound system goes, I'm in the home theater/car audio biz. Have been for 16 years now. I was just wondering if there were any other "sound quality" enthusiasts here.

I'll post pics of my set up soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #225
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
I probably going to bring it to Edmonton BMW but I doubt they will do much. Just hope the tires don't blow up on me.

Not much of a soundphilic but it would be nice to see ur setup.
      04-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #226
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dollar for dollar, the RSX Type-S is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Never a problem with it.

BMW though... I had major buyers remorse last year. But after a total of 5 weeks in the shop, my M is now flawless.

As far as the sound system goes, I'm in the home theater/car audio biz. Have been for 16 years now. I was just wondering if there were any other "sound quality" enthusiasts here.

I'll post pics of my set up soon.
Hey ScotyH,

I have a killer 2 channel setup at home. Killer analog and pretty good digital. I have some vinyl and some plastic, love my vinyl though, pops and clicks and all.

I am a sound geek but the car is the worst environment for good sound so I get my kicks at home.

Don't tell me you used to work at JB's selling stuff too? I was dropping subs all over the place from '92-95. I had a Honda Civic that had a single 12" that could kick your *ss playing some amazing music

What was up with the M, was it the cam sensor all screwed?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #227
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

RSX-S is a killer car. That engine was a think of beauty.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #228
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Hey ScotyH,

I have a killer 2 channel setup at home. Killer analog and pretty good digital. I have some vinyl and some plastic, love my vinyl though, pops and clicks and all.

I am a sound geek but the car is the worst environment for good sound so I get my kicks at home.

Don't tell me you used to work at JB's selling stuff too? I was dropping subs all over the place from '92-95. I had a Honda Civic that had a single 12" that could kick your *ss playing some amazing music

What was up with the M, was it the cam sensor all screwed?
Sparkyg, 2 channel isn't my gig at home. I don't seem to make the time to be able to sit down & listen to music. I vegetate in my theater room & escape into a good movie.

Cars are generally very poor listening environments but it's the only time I'm able to enjoy a decent tune at higher volumes. The quality of components & the electronics available to address the crappy environment are readily available for not too steep of a price(subjective).

Most people that have heard my car so far can't believe their ears.

I've never worked at JB's but in that era there were a few talented guys there. I don't think the same could be said today, unfortunately.

My car at a whopping 63km's on the odo threw an increased emissions code.
It took 5 visits to get it fixed, but it's all good now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #229
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sparkyg, 2 channel isn't my gig at home. I don't seem to make the time to be able to sit down & listen to music. I vegetate in my theater room & escape into a good movie.

Cars are generally very poor listening environments but it's the only time I'm able to enjoy a decent tune at higher volumes. The quality of components & the electronics available to address the crappy environment are readily available for not too steep of a price(subjective).

Most people that have heard my car so far can't believe their ears.

I've never worked at JB's but in that era there were a few talented guys there. I don't think the same could be said today, unfortunately.

My car at a whopping 63km's on the odo threw an increased emissions code.
It took 5 visits to get it fixed, but it's all good now.
I got that code before too and it went away on its own and never came back . I had a good system in my RSX that was deafening! Hey if you have hook ups and can get me a good deal on some good stereo equipment for my M then sure I will upgrade (as long as it is lighter and makes the car faster.) I would love to hear your system.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #230
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Here's the system. Arc Audio 6ch amp & 1ch amp. 2ch for tweets 2 for mids 2 for midbass & 1 ch for sub, all actively crossed over.

Morel Elate 3-way for fronts & Morel Ultimo 12 for subwoofing.

Waddaya think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #231
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Here's the system. Arc Audio 6ch amp & 1ch amp. 2ch for tweets 2 for mids 2 for midbass & 1 ch for sub, all actively crossed over.

Morel Elate 3-way for fronts & Morel Ultimo 12 for subwoofing.

Waddaya think?
Holy shit! Who does your work for you! Now I really want to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #232
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Holy shit! Who does your work for you! Now I really want to hear it!
I do my own work. I enjoy the process (for the most part)& the results (pushing the envelope). I get into the "zone".... I lost 4 pounds doing this system. I just get into it & forget to eat I guess.

Anyways I generally don't get involved in my customers systems anymore. I just train, offer advice and lend a hand when required.

Sounds corny but I think I have one of the best jobs in the world, I get to meet a lot of decent people & work with categories of electronics that keep me interested year after year. In June I'm going to Paradigm's research & production facility in Ontario.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #233
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
I got that code before too and it went away on its own and never came back . I had a good system in my RSX that was deafening! Hey if you have hook ups and can get me a good deal on some good stereo equipment for my M then sure I will upgrade (as long as it is lighter and makes the car faster.) I would love to hear your system.
Morel stuff is quite light compared to anything else on the market that actually sounds good. The Ultimo 12 weighs 15 pounds, can take 1000 Watts RMS or 3000 for 10 milliseconds. And its an award winning sound quality woofer!

And yes I can hook you guys up in terms of price on home or car electronics. Just PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #234
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
That's a pretty sweet setup you got there ScotyH, looks like it packs a huge punch as well. I remember trying to do a custom housing in my old integra quite a while back and it takes quite abit of time and effort, gave up half way. Haha Full props to you.
      04-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #235
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Very nice work indeed, wow. Lots of hours of work there. Prob 60-70 hour at least.

Yeah I used to spend hours and hours on the car in the old days. Easy to lose weight when you are keen and motivated.

Paradigm is nice stuff. Sounds like a great job but you've probably worked very hard to get there, nothing gets handed to you these days.

Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #236
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Very nice work indeed, wow. Lots of hours of work there. Prob 60-70 hour at least.

Yeah I used to spend hours and hours on the car in the old days. Easy to lose weight when you are keen and motivated.

Paradigm is nice stuff. Sounds like a great job but you've probably worked very hard to get there, nothing gets handed to you these days.

Well done.
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

sparkyg, you're bang on with the time estimate. With RTA tuning, I'm probably at around 70 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #237
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I love the Audiocontrol stuff, had lots of it back in the day, they really build nice stuff.

I would say it is basically pro tier.

Taking me back now, I used to be a big Autosound 2000 subscriber and was probably one of the first guys in town with caps in his car, I used 2 Farads of caps and man the change was amazing. I got them brough in for all my big jobs that I built.

I remenber I went to IASCA nationals in '94 in Tulsa and heard Richard Clark's Grand National car and Harry Kimura's Legend, oh man the good 'ol days.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #238
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Rogue Octane SSK

Just wondering if anyone here besides Glenn and I are ordering the Rogue Engineering SSK? If so, would you be interested in pooling our order for shipping? Owing to the slated delivery time of the SSK's from Rogue to IND and the scheduling for my own personal festival of mod installs, I am having mine FedEx'd air. Just thought I would check if anyone else who may be ordering from IND would want to share shipping costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #239
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Albert, you need a kit, that'll speed that sluggish thing up
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #240
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Albert, you need a kit, that'll speed that sluggish thing up
Tried one but I couldn't handle the speed, scared the hell out of me! I'll just get my ECU and diff done instead
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #241
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Just wondering if anyone here besides Glenn and I are ordering the Rogue Engineering SSK? If so, would you be interested in pooling our order for shipping? Owing to the slated delivery time of the SSK's from Rogue to IND and the scheduling for my own personal festival of mod installs, I am having mine FedEx'd air. Just thought I would check if anyone else who may be ordering from IND would want to share shipping costs.
How soon are you guy's ordering? I haven't even received my M3 yet so I'm not sure if I want to start messing with the shifter. Mine hit the coast earlier in the month and should arrive very soon. Depending on how I feel about the car after a day or two, I might be interested in joining in on the order.
      04-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #242
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Jackolo, right now we have reserved a shifter each from IND on their first order from Rogue. I talked to Ben Liaw today and Ilia and they are thinking that it will probably ship out first to second week of May.
Appreciate 0