BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Hissing sound with akra evo

Hey guys,
I tried searching but only found one other thread mentioning this issue but no real answer.
I just had my akra slipon upgraded to the full evo with the akra front pipes, and have noticed this Hissing sound coming from the rear around 3-4krpm.
Has anyone else with this exhaust noticed this distinct sound or is this an abnormal sound ie: leak?
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I haven't heard anything like that. May wanna crawl under and check all your clamps and connections. I'm betting any leaking might be coming from the crossover pipe that doesn't use a clamp.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I haven't heard anything like that. May wanna crawl under and check all your clamps and connections. I'm betting any leaking might be coming from the crossover pipe that doesn't use a clamp.
So I went out for a test run to better hear the sound. To better describe the sound, if i drive conservatively the sound does not happen but rather when I push the car somewhat ie: no particular RPM range. It happens when moving, and literally sounds more like the sound compressed air makes. as I get higher into the RPM range (>6.5k) the sounds goes away. It is not associated with any particular gear but Ive notice it happen from 3rd and up. It does not happen under load. I do have an Afe filter which possibly could explain the sound?
If the car is parked and I rev the engine high the sound does not happen.

A question for anyone!. If you were to have an exhaust leak would it usally be heard through all RPM ranges and at all speeds? Iam assuming that it would be heard if reving the engine while parked and not just while driving?
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8

Last edited by HeartMD; 11-29-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
So I went out for a test run to better hear the sound. To better describe the sound, if i drive conservatively the sound does not happen but rather when I push the car somewhat ie: no particular RPM range. It happens when moving, and literally sounds more like the sound compressed air makes. as I get higher into the RPM range (>6.5k) the sounds goes away. It is not associated with any particular gear but Ive notice it happen from 3rd and up. It does not happen under load. I do have an Afe filter which possibly could explain the sound?
If the car is parked and I rev the engine high the sound does not happen.

A question for anyone!. If you were to have an exhaust leak would it usally be heard through all RPM ranges and at all speeds? Iam assuming that it would be heard if reving the engine while parked and not just while driving?
An exhaust leak is usually not a hissing sound. Usually when you have an exhaust leak you know it.

Maybe you can record a sound clip or video? My car w/ full Akra doesn't make any hissing sounds. Just roaring on a rampage sounds

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
An exhaust leak is usually not a hissing sound. Usually when you have an exhaust leak you know it.

Maybe you can record a sound clip or video? My car w/ full Akra doesn't make any hissing sounds. Just roaring on a rampage sounds
Hey Mike,

Do you have a filter on your car. Im starting to think that maybe this is intake noise that has now been enhanced by the front pipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I just went from Akra rear section to full evo and noticed that you hear much more intake sound that can sound like a loud hiss when you first hear it. Much freer "breathing" setup that seems to amplify the intake noise. I checked my clamps again after a couple of weeks to make sure everything was tight and found no issues.