BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Gintani Sport or Akra? (with Challenge X-pipe)

primary goals:

1) no CEL
2) no Drone
3) decent power (not necessarily the most, but enough)
4) not-so-loud sound.

looking for a 90mm exhaust solution that is not that much louder than stock, and absolutely no CEL's or Drone.... anyone know which one will mate better with the challenge X-pipe? I'm open to other X-pipes as well if it doesn't throw CELs.

any input would be appreciated.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
mmm_03
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

If money is not an issue, you should definitely consider the Akra. I am totally in the same page as you. I don't want any drone, but I want an exotic and sophisticated exhaust noise but not too loud either. Akra has one of the best build quality not to mention exceptional weight savings as well. I already bought an Akra Slip-On and planning to get the latest improved Challenge X-Pipe in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

akra
      08-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

I'll let you guys know whats up when I get the challenge in and on the M3.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
mmm_03
Private
Rep

That would be great! When is your Challenge X-Pipe coming? Is this the new improved Street version that retains the OEM cats? Would be very interested in hearing your comments and observations. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
Ryne@AEP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
primary goals:

1) no CEL
2) no Drone
3) decent power (not necessarily the most, but enough)
4) not-so-loud sound.

looking for a 90mm exhaust solution that is not that much louder than stock, and absolutely no CEL's or Drone.... anyone know which one will mate better with the challenge X-pipe? I'm open to other X-pipes as well if it doesn't throw CELs.

any input would be appreciated.
Ssabripo,

Our exhaust systems encompass all of the criteria you mentioned above and more. We hand build our exhaust systems to meet our strict requirements of weight reduction, minimal drone and maximum power while maintining an exotic and classy exhaust note that does not rasp or wash out.

I invite you to take a look at our systems and consider it in the running for your next purchase. If you want, I can talk to you on the phone about all of the benefits vs the competition - afterall - we strive to make the best exhaust systems on the market.

Some individuals on here have received their systems and are ecstatic about them. I wouldn't talk it up so much if I didn't put it on our own car. Truly an exhaust that incorporates class with functionality.

We just released our system, so not many on the forums have reviewed it when compared to the other systems out, so that may be why you haven't heard of it. Check out our BMW 335i system for reviews and track history - and our Porsche systems that have the utmost attention to detail and craftsmanship.

Our system will set your car apart from the crowd - and you can be one of the first to see what looking outside of the box of all the regular exhausts on the market is like first hand.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

www.aeperformance.com

Regards,

Ryne O'Donnell

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUaCwcCVbRE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUaCwcCVbRE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info Ryne. I'll read some more details on your system. Couple of quick followups in the meantime:

1) doesn't seem like you carry any 90mm tips. Can you do this or not, and if so, is it the same price?
2) couldn't find the weight numbers on it from the link. Any official weight and hp numbers?

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Ryne@AEP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
thanks for the info Ryne. I'll read some more details on your system. Couple of quick followups in the meantime:

1) doesn't seem like you carry any 90mm tips. Can you do this or not, and if so, is it the same price?
2) couldn't find the weight numbers on it from the link. Any official weight and hp numbers?
ssabripo,

1) our system uses 83mm tips, which in our opinion fills the opening of the rear valance very nicely. We opted to go with a tip that was form fitting to the body lines yet not overbearing. I can't really change it - but if need be we can probably work something out to get you some of our 89mm tips separately.

2) The full weight of our exhaust is 33.8 lbs, which is 22.2lbs lighter than OE. This is also around 7lbs lighter than most of our competition (in stainless steel).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
I'll let you guys know whats up when I get the challenge in and on the M3.
Hi Tio///M, Have you received your Challenge X-Pipe yet? Wanted to know your thoughts on this X-Pipe (street version) as I am also considering them to enhance my Akra slip-on. Does it really improve hp and torque? Does it increase the volume or exhaust noise a lot? Please advise. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne@AEPerformance View Post
We just released our system, so not many on the forums have reviewed it when compared to the other systems out, so that may be why you haven't heard of it. Check out our BMW 335i system for reviews and track history - and our Porsche systems that have the utmost attention to detail and craftsmanship.
From everything i've read/heard about AE's system for the 335 on the e90 board, Its def on the top of my list w/ Akra for when I get my M next April. I've only read rave review about AE!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
If money is not the issue, go with Akra.. Other then that, I loved my Gintani Sport.
      08-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I just wish the AE exhaust for the m3 cost what the 335i version does! ($1399)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
If money is not the issue, go with Akra.. Other then that, I loved my Gintani Sport.
there are so many conflicting reports on the gintani sport "sound", I'm very apprehensive!

some say it is almost as quiet as Akra, some say it is much louder.

some say it has no drone, and gains as good if not better than akra... others say that it definitely drones.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
there are so many conflicting reports on the gintani sport "sound", I'm very apprehensive!

some say it is almost as quiet as Akra, some say it is much louder.

some say it has no drone, and gains as good if not better than akra... others say that it definitely drones.

If you are comparing just the rear sections (akra vs gin) These are just my opinions..
Akra - 5-10% louder then stock
Gintani - 20-25% louder then stock

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to drone. Test it out or go for a ride in a local car before you make your choice.. That's my suggestion.
      08-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
If you are comparing just the rear sections (akra vs gin) These are just my opinions..
Akra - 5-10% louder then stock
Gintani - 20-25% louder then stock

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to drone. Test it out or go for a ride in a local car before you make your choice.. That's my suggestion.
I don't think I agree with that assessment. My Akrapovic exhaust is much louder than the stock exhaust. In my mind, it is at the very top limit of what is acceptable. Anything louder would be too loud IMO. I like it a lot but it is definitely loud.

Granted I have the full Akrapovic system. However, I do not believe much of the loudness is coming from the x-pipe.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_03 View Post
Hi Tio///M, Have you received your Challenge X-Pipe yet? Wanted to know your thoughts on this X-Pipe (street version) as I am also considering them to enhance my Akra slip-on. Does it really improve hp and torque? Does it increase the volume or exhaust noise a lot? Please advise. Thanks!
I just took delievery today of the X-pipe, the old lady signed for it. I'm out of town right now, but for the 23rd I have appt for dyno with before and after. Just FYI, once I get it all done I'll post videos and dyno.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
Raz@Gintani
Rep
Drives: E92- MR M3

Honestly, It all depends on, I don't want to say sensitive but, how sensitive the drivers ears are with different exhaust. The sport system, to me and to many others, have no drone.

Almost all the aftermarket exhausts have slight drone in the lower RPM ranges. So in the end it all depends on you. Best advice I can give you is to try to hear both the exhaust's in person and judge it from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
I just took delievery today of the X-pipe, the old lady signed for it. I'm out of town right now, but for the 23rd I have appt for dyno with before and after. Just FYI, once I get it all done I'll post videos and dyno.
That's great to hear! Looking forward to your videos and dyno. Did you get the Street version X-Pipe? Please advise. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #19
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

I agree with exactly Raz said. Every aftermarket exhaust has some sort of drone people. Accept it.

Gintani Sport has a minimal drone but nothing to panic about. The noise it makes it amazing and it backfires so beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz@Gintani View Post
Honestly, It all depends on, I don't want to say sensitive but, how sensitive the drivers ears are with different exhaust. The sport system, to me and to many others, have no drone.

Almost all the aftermarket exhausts have slight drone in the lower RPM ranges. So in the end it all depends on you. Best advice I can give you is to try to hear both the exhaust's in person and judge it from there.
Raz, do you (or anyone else) have a couple of guys you know of here in the Fort lauderdale area, with the Gintani Sport version that i could hear?

any Akra slipons as well, would be appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

anyone?

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Have you heard our Arqray System w/ The Challenge X-Pipe:

I hope that helps!
Appreciate 0