BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

08-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
so what exactly is the purpose of run flat if it doesn't provide any extra safety?
It's helpful where there is limited shoulder room. You don't want yourself or a loved one to be changing a tire at the side of the road at night with cars whizzing by at 70+ mph only feet away (assuming a decent shoulder). If you're stuck in the left lane for whatever reason (sometimes traffic is so heavy it's hard to force your way over to the right across several lanes), then it could be mere inches away. Blown out tires can also wreak havoc on surrounding body and bumper panels.
I agree that, overall, runflats are a bigger detriment than a benefit. And consumers should be given the choice as an option; easy enough to do with sport packages.
It seems the newer generation of runflats claim better performance, but this comes at the expense of longer running distances while flat. Maybe they've just made them more like conventional tires. I seem to recall the Corvette's Goodyear EMT's were good for 200 miles, then 100 miles in later years. Now with the Michelin ZP, it's 50 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #24
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
http://www.examiner.com/x-8812-Newar...nda-USA-agrees

Interesting reading. Talks about how Corvette, Honda, and BMW have bought into the idea of RFT tires. Now after settling a big lawsuit over them, Honda is giving it up and switching back to regular tires and spares. Quote from the article: "...after reflecting on experiences I've actually had with run-flats working in a BMW dealer service department myself. ... my first thoughts were that they belong on the top five list of least reliable automotive inventions ever created."
      08-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #25
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Everytime I see this thread I think it's like asking "what's the best wine you can buy in a carton?"
      09-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #26
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

The runflats will do any kind of street performance driving that stays in the safe range. If you need high performance tires for your style of driving, take it to the track and buy wheels and tires accordingly. The majority of want a bees that drive BMW's don't have anywhere near the skill they need to get the most out of the cars handling capabilities, even with RFT's. Most "I own a BMW" owners don't want to or probably even know how to change a flat tire in the fist place. Those of us who want the best performance the car can give are in a minority catagory when it comes to ownership.
Appreciate 0