BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
RS5 in detail

Audi RS5 in Detail

S tronic gearbox

The RS 5 comes with a 7-speed S tronic gearbox. This innovative dual-clutch transmission enables gearshifts to be executed in a few hundredths of a second with virtually no interruption in power flow.

This is the first time that this gearbox has been fitted in conjunction with a high-revving engine giving the performance and the acoustics that you would expect from an RS model.

V8 FSI engine

At the heart of the Audi RS 5 sits the 4.2 litre V8 FSI engine delivering 450bhp.

The combination of high-revving concept and FSI petrol direct injection technology gives the RS 5 the responsiveness required of a performance car.

At a glance:
Max. output of 331Kw (450bhp) at 8,250rpm
Max. torque of 430Nm at 4,000 – 6,000rpm
Uniform power build-up and spontaneous response over the full rev range
Impressive engine acoustics
The engine is coupled with an enhanced 7-speed S tronic gearbox. This innovative dual-clutch transmission enables gearshifts to be executed in a few hundredths of a second with virtually no interruption in power flow.

This is the first time that this gearbox has been fitted in conjunction with a high-revving engine.

Dynamic Ride Control
Dynamic Ride Control allows you to set up the suspension according to the task in hand, at the press of a button. There’s Comfort mode for motorway cruising, Dynamic mode for twisting lanes or, should you want to take the car to a circuit, select Sport and the suspension tightens, reducing body roll even further. All this fine-tuning of the ride makes the RS 5 taut, agile, sporty and precise.

Sport differential
Sport differential – all-round driving improvement
The sport differential, for a performance addition to quattro which is standard on RS 5, is designed to make driving obviously smoother, more agile and more satisfying – and not just when you’re pushing the car towards its limits.

Safe, accurate turning
The sports differential enables the quattro system to not only transfer torque between the front and rear axles to counter traction losses, but also between the rear wheels. When cornering, power is redirected to the outside rear wheel, literally pushing the car through the corner. The driver benefits from feeling more in control and the need to make small steering corrections, so familiar in an ordinary car, become a thing of the past.

Why react when you can predict?
Conventional stability management systems detect errors, then correct them. We think that’s a little late. The sport differential’s technology has such a short reaction time - less than 100 milliseconds – that any instability is sensed and dealt with before it has any effect. Almost like it never happened.

You're still in control
The sport differential has been designed to work in tandem with Audi drive select. This enables the possibility to change the characteristics of the engine, transmission, steering, shock absorbers and the active sport differential to suit your mood and the demands of the road.

Audi Select Drive
Not all driving situations are the same. The Audi drive select system on the Audi RS 5 changes handling and response at the touch of a button to suit how you want to drive. There are four modes: comfort, dynamic, auto and individual.

For long-distances, Comfort adjusts your set-up to create a more relaxing ride. Dynamic changes the settings for a sportier driving experience, adjusting steering and throttle response. The Auto mode adapts the system depending on the current driving situation while individual, which is available in conjunction with a Satellite Navigation system, allows you to configure the dynamics of the car to your own preferences depending on what special equipment is fitted.

Enhanced braking system

The 18-inch high-performance braking system is able to safely harness the formidable power of the Audi RS 5.

8-piston fixed callipers at the front wheels plus single-piston sliding callipers at the rear.
Brake callipers painted in high-gloss black.
Brake discs internally ventilated, perforated and with a floating mounting.
Brake disc diameter of 365mm at the front, and 324mm at the rear.
Aluminium tandem brake booster with a ratio specific to the RS 5.

Modular Longitudinal Platform (MLP)
The RS 5 is built on Audi’s modular longitudinal platform. This innovative chassis enables the engine to mount behind the front axle instead of over it which helps to achieve a more even weight distribution between the front and rear wheels. The result is a car that corners with confidence and handles superbly

Extending rear spoiler
The extending rear spoiler is integrated into the luggage compartment lid. To increase downforce at high speed, the spoiler extends automatically at high speeds. It is retracted again when the car reduces speed.

The rear spoiler can also be activated or deactivated by pressing a button on the centre console.

HDD navigation

The Audi RS 5 comes with an optional hard drive based (HDD) navigation system, which means that being lost becomes a thing of the past. Simply enter a destination using the Multi Media Interface (MMI) in the centre console, or just say where you want to go, using the advanced voice recognition system.

The HDD navigation system has a 40GB hard drive meaning that maps load incredibly fast and there’s an abundance of detail (including 3D buildings in cities and photo realistic 3D landmarks) when you zoom in. You can also specify modifications to the route such as avoiding or using motorways, toll roads and ferries. And you can recall favourite and recent destinations which are stored in your address book.

The system can also adjust the route you’re taking dynamically based on the latest traffic situation. It receives RDS-TMC (Traffic Message Channel) automatically so it knows about hold-ups before you do and, if dynamic navigation is active, the system automatically recalculates the route.

Your own personal jukebox
If you choose the HDD-based Satellite Navigation system, you can also create your own personal jukebox. With 10GB of its hard drive set aside for music, you download via CDs, USB sticks or SD memory cards up to 4,000 music tracks.

Sensational surround sound from Bang & Olufsen
Some 14 speakers and two amplifiers create 505 watts of superb sound, balanced to suit the acoustic properties of the car’s interior.

A second digital signal-processing amplifier takes output from standard stereo sources such as CD players, iPods or DAB radios and creates stunning five-channel surround sound. The Bang & Olufsen sound system is optional across the range.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Yummie to my Tummie!!! Crossing my fingers that it'll arrive to Canada next year!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Is it my imagination, or is that a single piston rear caliper. Lame, pull a few off the eight piston fronts and stick them on back.

It does look dead sexy in white though!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Damn, I NEED one of those. I wonder how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

Those wheels are so cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The engine is disappointing.
      02-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I'd take one in a hard top please :P
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Gorgeous. The wheels are perfect, design is great, and the seats give me wet dreams. I don't know if it's me or what, but I can't stand the side body lines of the S5's...it seems they altered them a bit. Also the taillights look better than before.

Could just be my imagination....it's going to be overpriced though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sport differential
Safe, accurate turning
The sports differential enables the quattro system to not only transfer torque between the front and rear axles to counter traction losses, but also between the rear wheels. When cornering, power is redirected to the outside rear wheel, literally pushing the car through the corner. The driver benefits from feeling more in control and the need to make small steering corrections, so familiar in an ordinary car, become a thing of the past.
Copied from BMW X5/X6 M, copied from Japanese.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Copied from BMW X5/X6 M, copied from Japanese.
Not exactly copied from BMW as it was developed as the same time, but it is the same basic diff only with different software, in the case of the RS5 it's software has been tuned for the sportier nature of the breast. That basically means it's will allow for a lot more throttle adjustability and fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Not exactly copied from BMW as it was developed as the same time, but it is the same basic diff only with different software, in the case of the RS5 it's software has been tuned for the sportier nature of the breast. That basically means it's will allow for a lot more throttle adjustability and fun.
Wow Footie... I guess Freud was right I would like the throttle adjustability and fun option with regards to sporty breasts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

has audi fixed the carbon buildup issue in their direct injected engines?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
has audi fixed the carbon buildup issue in their direct injected engines?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

That car is sickness...

450 hp all wheel drive sedan holy shat.
      02-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
That is a sweet car. Looks good in leaked-image red as well.
      02-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
askmeaboutkfc
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i

Does anyone know when this car will get the new MMI interface the A8 is getting?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

cool story bro
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

It's nice but doesn't scream RS5. Looks like a S5 to me. Wish they differentiated it more from the other model.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

looks hot. sleeper style
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Underwhelming, considering that I expect the car to be priced around $80k.
      02-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #21
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
The engine is disappointing.
On the face of it your opinion seems objective.
Then again. You drive a 6.3L AMG.

enter bias.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Is it sad that the fact it had a 505 watt sound system actually stood out to me
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0