BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Steve Dinan Evening hosted at Edmonton BMW / Highlights

I went to an evening party last night to Introduce Edmonton BMW as a Signature dealer and to introduce Steve Dinan.

A few highlights

- M3 stroker motor will be released in 2 months, 4.6l / 500 hp
- M3 exhaust will be released
- future separate intake valve system to tune the runners to develop more high end hp
- additional suspension mods to be developed into a Signature package
- future engine swap kits to add the stroker V10 to the M3

The M3 motor has different weaknesses to developing power than the V10 so on the intake, the butterfly valves are not in common with the V10.

He will be presenting in Calgary on the 10th December so I am sure more will be revealed then.

One important thing I gained was to never use octane boost bottles on our cars or any BMW cars. The fluid coats the injectors and plugs with a type of corrosion that then leads to incorrect detonation readings causing the car to run too rich and thereby damage the catalytic converters.

He also announced for the 335/135 guys that there will be updates coming for the flash to adjust for 91 Octane fuel to better optimize the engine. This I believe has something to do with the BMW ability to tune itself for different engine "knock" sensing and reprogram its own timing advance/retard for the fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

good info ...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I went to an evening party last night to Introduce Edmonton BMW as a Signature dealer and to introduce Steve Dinan.

A few highlights

- future separate intake valve system to tune the runners to develop more high end hp

The M3 motor has different weaknesses to developing power than the V10 so on the intake, the butterfly valves are not in common with the V10.

He will be presenting in Calgary on the 10th December so I am sure more will be revealed then.

One important thing I gained was to never use octane boost bottles on our cars or any BMW cars. The fluid coats the injectors and plugs with a type of corrosion that then leads to incorrect detonation readings causing the car to run too rich and thereby damage the catalytic converters.

He also announced for the 335/135 guys that there will be updates coming for the flash to adjust for 91 Octane fuel to better optimize the engine. This I believe has something to do with the BMW ability to tune itself for different engine "knock" sensing and reprogram its own timing advance/retard for the fuel.
Any talk about ECU reflash for the 08+ M3's?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

He mentioned a flash for the stroker but no mention of a flash for the std engine.

We'll see if we can ask him in Calgary
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
A few highlights

A day late and a buck short, Dinan is far behind the power curve. All the above listed have been done.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
A day late and a buck short, Dinan is far behind the power curve. All the above listed have been done.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
True, but we just have to sit back and look at the pricing they take out on people. Especially if they're not backing up warranties they may be more affordable because they can mass produce some of their stuff quickly unlike smaller tuners and aftermarket companies

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samM376' View Post
True, but we just have to sit back and look at the pricing they take out on people. Especially if they're not backing up warranties they may be more affordable because they can mass produce some of their stuff quickly unlike smaller tuners and aftermarket companies
Huh? Pricing, warranties? What are you saying? I beleive you are saying that we will see if the people who have already made these things will warnranty these items? You can be assured whatever they charge Dinan is double.

Have you ever owned anything Dinan? if the answer is yes then you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get your so called warranty to cover the parts when they break.

Dinan is far from cutting edge, the only thig they have to offer is warranties as it applys to these items
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I had the Dinan Stg III on my 335xi, no problems.

The Dinan warranty covers both the Dinan equipment and any incidental damage that is not Dinan related. So the coverage is bumper to bumper.

Do the other "tuners" cover the entire car in the event of incidental damage?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Sticky2
Banned
Rep
Drives: PG nuts

Quote:
Perhaps, but they do quality work albeit for a higher price than everyone else.

There is no running stroker M3 that I know of. I believe RDsport is in the exact same spot. Dinan's might beat them to market.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had the Dinan Stg III on my 335xi, no problems.

The Dinan warranty covers both the Dinan equipment and any incidental damage that is not Dinan related. So the coverage is bumper to bumper.

Do the other "tuners" cover the entire car in the event of incidental damage?

Why do you ask me rhetorical questions you know the answer to?

Have you had to get anything fixed? What is incidental? sounds like a escape clause.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky2 View Post
Perhaps, but they do quality work albeit for a higher price than everyone else.

There is no running stroker M3 that I know of. I believe RDsport is in the exact same spot. Dinan's might beat them to market.
My car will be done next week and they have one running in Italy so unless they put a Flux Compositor in that thing and take it back to January.

Dinan took how many years to get their stroker M5/6 out? They wont have a car out in two months, they may plan to but project creep in inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
My car will be done next week and they have one running in Italy so unless they put a Flux Compositor in that thing and take it back to January.

Dinan took how many years to get their stroker M5/6 out? They wont have a car out in two months, they may plan to but project creep in inevitable.
I don't understand why project creep won't affect you as well. I would love nothing more for your project to be finished next week. Fact remains no one has a running stroker in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I don't understand why project creep won't affect you as well. I would love nothing more for your project to be finished next week. Fact remains no one has a running stroker in the USA.
Yes it could happen to anyone including me but you have seen the pictures of my motor with the headers on it, pretty close to done. I was more referring to the fact it took Dinan years to come out with the last stroker so I would be surprised if they get one out in two months.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Ufff!! This is starting to get good!!! We have the competing stoker kit from Racing Dynamics so that we clearly have to defend that.
      11-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #16
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it could happen to anyone including me but you have seen the pictures of my motor with the headers on it, pretty close to done. I was more referring to the fact it took Dinan years to come out with the last stroker so I would be surprised if they get one out in two months.
The physical part installation is not necessarily the hard part. The tuning needs to be spot on. Either way, I look forward to seeing your car done.

I look forward even more to the Dinan vs. RDsport stroker comparisons. Evosport is considering a stroker as well, they have one for the V10.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
The physical part installation is not necessarily the hard part. The tuning needs to be spot on. Either way, I look forward to seeing your car done.

I look forward even more to the Dinan vs. RDsport stroker comparisons. Evosport is considering a stroker as well, they have one for the V10.
Yea agreed, I think there will be some minor differences but never the less some differences. As it appears today, bore and stroke is different, RD employs headers and honed, smoothed bored and port matched exhaust valves, both do something with the intake but go about it a different way, for the most part, other than the Mahle piston supplier that they share (albeit a piston of different design and size but presumably both employ the Graffel anti friction coating technology etc...), all other suppliers appear to be different to include crank, con-rods, bearings, etc...). And so on. It also appears that the RDSport model is a tad more powerful as appears from there V10 stoker kits. Both I think are excellent tuners and trust them, if Dinan would have come out with the stoker kit first, I may have gone with them, but that was not the case. I just completed a 380 plus hp Dinan 335 so know them very well. I have grown to like RDSports very much and feel very comfortable working with them and look forward to future projects.
      11-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
piston-pirates
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Evosport is considering a stroker as well, they have one for the V10.
Considering an Evosport Stroker would be insane when there are tuning companies like Dinan or more preferably RDSport who have been doing this for 20 years. The only reason to go with Evosport would be if they could offer a much much much cheaper stroker. Even then I wouldn't i've read on a forum somewhere that there track cars hardly ever complete CCA races.

Does anyone have one of Evosports V10 Strokers? I didn't even know they made them?

RDSport produces the V10 Stroker for the $350,000 Fisker Latigo, enough said.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston-pirates View Post
Considering an Evosport Stroker would be insane when there are tuning companies like Dinan or more preferably RDSport who have been doing this for 20 years. The only reason to go with Evosport would be if they could offer a much much much cheaper stroker. Even then I wouldn't i've read on a forum somewhere that there track cars hardly ever complete CCA races.

Does anyone have one of Evosports V10 Strokers? I didn't even know they made them?

RDSport produces the V10 Stroker for the $350,000 Fisker Latigo, enough said.
You do realize they have been doing it for 20 years as well? They actually RACE their products. Complete races? They race practically every weekend, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Yes, it isn't a kit like the RDsport or Dinan, each one is made custom for your application, and cheaper. They do a 5.7 liter for the V10.

I have seen RDsport products in action, you are overrating them big time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Did he mention anything about that group from Vancouver backing out of the sale? I believe they said it was no longer desirable and Dinan threatened them with a lawsuit, but I haven't heard much about it yet.

He's going to be in Calgary on December 10th, if I'm free I'll drop by and ask a few questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
Look at the S85 stroker Dinans produces much less hp/tq, also go over to M5board and see how many of them are still running problem free. Dinan has so many broken ones there is a waiting list to have it sent back there

Quote:
I have seen RDsport products in action, you are overrating them big time.
do tell more.

Quote:
Did he mention anything about that group from Vancouver backing out of the sale? I believe they said it was no longer desirable and Dinan threatened them with a lawsuit, but I haven't heard much about it yet.
Bankrupt! Dinans fighting for its life right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I am not sure where you guys get the gossip but Dinan is still going public next year when the financial climate gets better.

I personally met on of the guys from Canaccord helping them go public, everything is fine afaik.

Maybe you guys have inside info or maybe just stuff from other forums.

They are still selling lots of flashes and will be adding flashes soon for the X6.
Appreciate 0