BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
White_Skull
Rep
Drives: BMW X6.

EDC in M3 E92

how important is? would buy one without EDC? is because I am looking at one but not carried EDC!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

There is a lot information on it on this forum. In general this is what people would say:

1) Absolutely necessary, you are buying a 80k car and you need all options!

More logical answers:
2) Others would say, well, if you plan on modifying the suspension of the M3 (drop, coils, coil overs etc..) then there is no need for EDC

3) It is a nice option to have, because if you get a ZCP M3 it will have a factory drop of -10mm (I believe). Aesthetically, it'll look nicer, ride a little firmer, and handle a little bit better around the turns. As far as us average Joe Blow drivers, I don't think we'll be able to notice that much of a difference.

4) Lastly, some believe it's not worth the money. There is a slight difference between each setting in the EDC but not anything dramatic.

My opinion: I personally don't have EDC and have not sat in a M3 that has EDC. What I can tell you is that you aren't missing much. If you plan on tracking the car, you would notice some body roll that would be slightly cured with the EDC sport setting but if you are going that hard at track you might as well upgrade your whole suspension.

Is EDC nice to have? Yes it is, however it's not absolutely necessary. If I were you, I would look for a M3 that has EDC but if you come across one that doesn't have that option, don't let that stop you from purchasing it if all other criteria's are met.
      10-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
There is a lot information on it on this forum. In general this is what people would say:

1) Absolutely necessary, you are buying a 80k car and you need all options!

More logical answers:
2) Others would say, well, if you plan on modifying the suspension of the M3 (drop, coils, coil overs etc..) then there is no need for EDC

3) It is a nice option to have, because if you get a ZCP M3 it will have a factory drop of -10mm (I believe). Aesthetically, it'll look nicer, ride a little firmer, and handle a little bit better around the turns. As far as us average Joe Blow drivers, I don't think we'll be able to notice that much of a difference.

4) Lastly, some believe it's not worth the money. There is a slight difference between each setting in the EDC but not anything dramatic.

My opinion: I personally don't have EDC and have not sat in a M3 that has EDC. What I can tell you is that you aren't missing much. If you plan on tracking the car, you would notice some body roll that would be slightly cured with the EDC sport setting but if you are going that hard at track you might as well upgrade your whole suspension.

Is EDC nice to have? Yes it is, however it's not absolutely necessary. If I were you, I would look for a M3 that has EDC but if you come across one that doesn't have that option, don't let that stop you from purchasing it if all other criteria's are met.
Whoa. Sane and rational answer. No trolling. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

My opinion: I personally don't have EDC and have not sat in a M3 that has EDC. What I can tell you is that you aren't missing much. Respectfully this makes no sense.

If you have not felt the difference how can you give an opinion?

For example, automatics and manuals are far different. Would you say, I personally do not have a manual car and I have never sat in or driven a manual car, and then state an opinion you are not missing much?

You may be correct but your reasoning is flawed.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1
osukf0964.00
      10-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

He formed an opinion based on hearsay.

You've figured out that opinion isn't worth much.

I can feel the difference between EDC settings and I find it to be a nice to have. But I haven't driven a non EDC car.

If the right car came up without EDC I probably wouldn't have let that stop me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

if you are planning to get coils, yo dont need it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

Serious suspensions don't need it, but you can preserve EDC function with sleeve overs. Personally I think the Comp or Dinan springs do a great job at pulling double duty on the street/track and I go between comfort and sport modes frequently (don't use sports plus mich at all, rare to find a glass smooth road in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I can feel EDC settings in my car. I've also driven a non-edc M3 before. The differences between the two cars for an average Joe Blow driver is negligible. However, I do enjoy the EDC soft setting, it makes street driving on urban road just a bit more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3 View Post
if you are planning to get coils, yo dont need it
This.. I have it and never really used it. Now with coils, never use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

There is definitely a noticeable difference k settings. Comfort mode is what I have for most driving situation, can fell the road but absorbs a lot of teeth rattling bumps and tone them down. When I turn it all the way I can definitely feel the road to a point that it's uncomfortable on a slightly bumpy road.
It's a nice feature to have just in case if you more out of your suspension without spending $ and time for aftermarket suspension but I have yet to be in that "just in case" situations.
And the lower stance with larger wheels do look nicer.

Last edited by Dougeefresh; 10-20-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My first E90 M3 had edc and now i have a E92 M3 without edc. I can give you a bit of pros and cons.

-On the street EDC only makes things overly harsh, i always stayed in comfort mode.

-On the track EDC gave me no lap time advantage over edc in comfort. I was actually 2 tenths of a second slower in the hardest setting compared to the comfort setting.

- They are useless if you are getting Coilovers since you have to spend more to get edc emulator modules. So expect to pay around 300-700 more for a edc car if you are upgrading coilovers.

-Only advantage to me of the ZCP package are the wheels which also dont make sense if you will be changing them out for something aftermarket. And you can find used ones in the classifieds from the 900-1500 range and the premium some people ask for their cars compared to non comp package cars is ridiculous.
      10-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
-On the track EDC gave me no lap time advantage over edc in comfort. I was actually 2 tenths of a second slower in the hardest setting compared to the comfort setting.
I remember reading something about this in a car mag, they concluded that unless road conditions were perfect (e.g. a nice smooth Nascar ring), the hardest setting bounced around too much and cost you time around the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
I can feel EDC settings in my car. I've also driven a non-edc M3 before. The differences between the two cars for an average Joe Blow driver is negligible. However, I do enjoy the EDC soft setting, it makes street driving on urban road just a bit more comfortable.
This is correct. Although I usually roll with EDC in sport, I got ZCP for the 10mm drop and the wheels. Most people would never miss the EDC.
      10-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I remember reading something about this in a car mag, they concluded that unless road conditions were perfect (e.g. a nice smooth Nascar ring), the hardest setting bounced around too much and cost you time around the track.
I agree with that claim, it makes sense since my local track is not completely smooth.
      10-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I tested EDC and the standard suspension before I purchased my first e92 a few years ago. I preferred the standard suspension. The standard suspension was overall the best feeling to me. EDC comfort and sport settings didn't do anything for me, I would never use them on the roads I drive. Don't feel that the standard suspension is inferior, it's not...it just depends how you like the car to feel and what is important to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
My opinion: I personally don't have EDC and have not sat in a M3 that has EDC. What I can tell you is that you aren't missing much. Respectfully this makes no sense.

If you have not felt the difference how can you give an opinion?

For example, automatics and manuals are far different. Would you say, I personally do not have a manual car and I have never sat in or driven a manual car, and then state an opinion you are not missing much?

You may be correct but your reasoning is flawed.
Because if it was an amazing of an option that changed the way the car drove that dramatically, every car reviewer would talk about it for ends time whether it was Chris Haris, Jeremy Clarkson, etc...

That too, I've driven Porsche Cayenne with the similar dampening control and notice a slight difference, similar to a Audi S4, S5, and BMW M5. My dads C4S has the PASM (dampening setting) button and man there is no reason to even turn that thing on, on a street.
      10-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I have had an m3 with it and one without. I ordered my latest car without it because it's useless with coilovers which I installed immediately. I rarely used the EDC settings when I had it. I don't miss it at all. In fact with coilovers you need to buy a code deleter or custom coding and you are left with an unused EDC button.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Remember that the firmest setting in EDC on a ZCP car is actually different than a non-ZCP.

It is true that a non-ZCP car in the firmest setting will probably not do as well on a track with elevation change -- I believe the guys at M actually said it would be better to just leave it in the middle (Normal) setting under those conditions.
      10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Remember that the firmest setting in EDC on a ZCP car is actually different than a non-ZCP.

It is true that a non-ZCP car in the firmest setting will probably not do as well on a track with elevation change -- I believe the guys at M actually said it would be better to just leave it in the middle (Normal) setting under those conditions.
Yes, the ZCP package's Sport mode is dynamic, which should make it more adroit at bumpy roads, but I don't know if it is wouldn't still be better just to stay in Normal even for ZCP cars. I do know, having driven both versions of the car, when you do have a perfect road, the stiffer non-ZCP Sport mode works better. It's almost like having coils, or at least the spine can't tell a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

For my part (E90 with EDC) I will say that for daily driving duties, the difference in the suspension is rather negligible. However, when you want to drive hard it IS nice to be able to switch the suspension to sport+ and get a quite different driving experience. I definitely feel more in control when I dial this car up to 11 than in the normal "softer" modes... but again for daily driving I would consider it negligible.

However, having said all that I will say that being able to switch it to comfort has actually been good at times. There's a stretch of I-255 in Illinois that has an absolutely horrible road surface. I was driving home on Saturday night with a couple of drunk women in the back seat... no, it wasn't that great. Anyway, not feeling like pulling over or having to hose out my back seat I switched the suspension to "Comfort" mode on the way home and it was noticeably smoother along that horrible bit of highway. It also quietened down the complaints about the ride from the rear
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i agree with what some of the other track rats have said here. it has no value if you track your car, stiff made me slower as well and felt normal was the best setting at the track. which is what you get without edc. if you dont track it may actually be more worth it that if you do. as mdosu said you can make the suspension squishy and compliant for tooling around town.

stiff on edc to me feels like it only effects rebound and made the car choppy without being able to absorb compressions any better. actually makes car handle worse in most track situations. for that you need stiffer compression and low and high speed.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Personally woulnd't ever get this car without ZCP.
The flexibility is nice to have. My default driving mode is one light on. When I am driving on the actual freeway, I go down to the softest setting to absorb the bumps better at higher speeds. Only on really smooth streets or if I'm driving more aggressively, I will go to the stiffest setting.

I agree that it probably wouldn't make a lap time difference if I ever tracked this car, however, the car is easier to read as the rear wants to break loose if you are on the stiffest setting.
Appreciate 0