BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

General r-comp advice

A little background about me..
Recently started getting more into tracking (have only done once and loved it but last year couldn't commit more than once), and while the M3 was a blast to be out there, it just had too much roll and felt the weight. Good deal on z4m came along so hopped on it and that's my track car from now (first time out there with it soon).

I've been searching for a dedicated set for track and I came across this.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361970
I think the price is reasonable, but my concern is below:
- how's running r-comp for a newbie like me considering lack of track experience?
- he has two different tires front and rear. does that make a diff on track?
- generally when do you guys move to r-comp?

I am posting here because this is more active board than z4post..

Thanks!
      03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

How do you like the m coupe compared to the M3? I have been instructing for the BMWCCA and various other organizations for the a long while now and would def suggest staying on street tires.
The street tires will help you realize your mistakes..the increased grip of the r-comps will cover up alot of bad habits especially when you are not at the absolute limit of the tire. If you can get real fast on street tires then you will fly on r-comps. Take your time and do it right...it will be worth it in the long run.
      03-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What TUNEDM3 said is what I've heard from pretty much everyone who tracks or has moved up to the A class at CCA events.

And those wheels are suppose to be very good wheels.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Totally agree with this. Work on perfect your car control skills with more lapping (a lot more) on street tires before going to R-comps.
      03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Took me years before I decided to move to Rcomps. Newbies will overdrive on Rcomps and shred them prematurely in some cases.

I totally agree with above, it will make you think you're better than you are.
Your first statement for having been first time out and only the M3 and saying you could feel the weight and roll of the car makes me believe you're not a smooth driver.

Take a lot of seat time and than invest in track rubber. They don't last too long so its better to learn at the absolute limit on street tires which will give you more feedback as to what the car is doing anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
How do you like the m coupe compared to the M3? I have been instructing for the BMWCCA and various other organizations for the a long while now and would def suggest staying on street tires.
The street tires will help you realize your mistakes..the increased grip of the r-comps will cover up alot of bad habits especially when you are not at the absolute limit of the tire. If you can get real fast on street tires then you will fly on r-comps. Take your time and do it right...it will be worth it in the long run.
I love the m coupe. I haven't taken it out on one of the "let's let this baby loose" driving courses yet, but I really like it a lot. M3 is a better car, but Z4M is a better weekend car.
It sits lower, doesn't have all comfort features of the M3, I like the thicker steering wheel better, and S54 is perfect for that little beast.
I just feel lucky to own both Ms and I am dying to track the z4 as I think it'll feel right at home on track (I may not feel the same until I get more experienced tho). =)
      03-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Took me years before I decided to move to Rcomps. Newbies will overdrive on Rcomps and shred them prematurely in some cases.

Your first statement for having been first time out and only the M3 and saying you could feel the weight and roll of the car makes me believe you're not a smooth driver.

Take a lot of seat time and than invest in track rubber. They don't last too long so its better to learn at the absolute limit on street tires which will give you more feedback as to what the car is doing anyway

Any suggestions on what street tire to use? The trouble I've seen with street tires is they get torn up bad on the track (at least the tracks around my area that are a bit on the rough side). Is there a street tire out there that is more geared towards the track environment and the excessive heat that the tires are under? I was looking at the Nitto NT01's, but those are more track oriented than I think you are recommending.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post

You are absolutely right. I wasn't being smooth out there. I was just learning the "lines", giving pt-by, learning the damn flags, etc, just the whole experience. It was a lot to swallow on that day and I absolutely loved it.

Now that you mention it, maybe it was due to not being smooth and being a first timer out there, but yes, the car felt heavy on some corners and there was a lot of body roll when doing S turns. And that one day did eat up quite a bit of rubber (they said the track surface temp was 140 last Aug). The car wasn't braking enough on some straights and I really thought I would go straight off the track. Scary but SOOOO fun because nothing bad happened haha
      03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Any suggestions on what street tire to use? The trouble I've seen with street tires is they get torn up bad on the track (at least the tracks around my area that are a bit on the rough side). Is there a street tire out there that is more geared towards the track environment and the excessive heat that the tires are under? I was looking at the Nitto NT01's, but those are more track oriented than I think you are recommending.

Speaking of which, the street tires I was considering is Dunlop Direzza Sport.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

I heard these tires are as sticky as it gets for street before going r-comp.
Any advice with the tire?
      03-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

The Start Spec is a VERY good tire for a semi track tire. I just wish they made them in 19" sizes. The track guys on Bimmerforum love that tire.

OP, I think you have a LONG way to go before you'll drive beyond the abilities of the car. Not trying to be negative, but the car is VERY capable stock.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where were your tires getting torn up at?
You can sometimes compensate by playing with the tire pressure during a track day. Peopl will take tire temps across the tread to see where they heat up the most.
You could also set your alignment for more negative camber to save the outer edges more.
Some people will have Tire Rack shave the tires too so the blocks don't come apart at the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Mainly the fronts on the PS2's were wearing on the outside (shoulders?) edges...and the rears were just wearing out across the middle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mainly the fronts on the PS2's were wearing on the outside (shoulders?) edges...and the rears were just wearing out across the middle.
That's pretty normal. Try to get more negative camber up front, but you're pretty limited with the stock suspension.
I think people can get around -1.2 to -1.4 without plates. Dinan has some fixed plates for pretty cheap. TCKline also has some adjustable plates too.
I would get plates before R compounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

You have only tracked once? Ummm, no R-comps for you!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That's pretty normal. Try to get more negative camber up front, but you're pretty limited with the stock suspension.
I think people can get around -1.2 to -1.4 without plates. Dinan has some fixed plates for pretty cheap. TCKline also has some adjustable plates too.
I would get plates before R compounds.
Thanks Aus, I'll look into the camber plates...are they easy to install yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

You'll have to remove the struts, so not super difficult, but not a simple bolt on either.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

NT01 Tire is an Rcomp tire, you don't want to use those if you'r still learning

NT05 is a good street.track mix. Any of the sticky tires in the lineup are really good.
RE11, AD08/7, PS2's are good but expensive
Toyo the tire below the RA1

But like someone said above, even with Rcomps you have to play with the tire pressures all day between hot and cold temps
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
The car wasn't braking enough on some straights and I really thought I would go straight off the track. Scary but SOOOO fun because nothing bad happened haha
Brakes are almost always the least track-worthy part of a street car. A fast road course can easily overwork them, leading to scary brake fade, pedal goes to the floor, pads get glazed etc. If this keeps happening, start braking sooner, or swap out your pads to something track-focused when you're at the track.