BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

BPM

02-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
ajminn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Buying in MA, out-of-state

I'm looking to purchase an E90 from a dealer here, used. If I'm out of state, is there ANY way to purchase the car in MA, and drive it back to my home state? I've been told that MA RMV does not issue temporary tags. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I'd rather drive it down then pay for a covered transport, but in the end, having it will be awesome either way. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get a pre-purchase inspection done? Independent mechanics preferred, but good dealerships will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
UA
///M User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

I could be wrong but I think what they mean when they say that MA doesn't offer temporary plates is for the person living in MA buying a car out of state. I live in MA and I couldn't get temp plates when I bought a car out of state.

SO what I think this means for you is that as long as NC issues temporary plates, then that is all you will need. Get a temporary plate from a NC RMV, come buy the car and drive it back with the temp plates from your state.

As for the PPI, I would recommend going to Bavarian Performance Group or Turner Motorsport that are non-dealer. I've been to both and they do great service!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Ask the dealer. I bought an 08 535xit in NJ from a BMW dealer and drove it home to NH with temporary non-resident registration/plate.
Appreciate 0