BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #177
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Congrats! Cant wait to see them installed and hear your review!

Too bad about the moist boxes - I am sure the rust isn't an issue - Hopefully Chris will chime in.

Congrats though, you must be pumped with the BBK and RAC's!
Thanks.
Things are coming along nicely. Hopefully the moisture is not an issue, the box is still wet, only front rotors where a little damp, calipers seem to be dry.
      01-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #178
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Very well thought out review!
      01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #179
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
AP kit arrived today.
Box with the front kits was a little wet, but everything seems to be OK. Just have a little rust on one of the rotors, but should scrub off with first application.

I do have a question though about the front rotors.
Upon inspection, I noticed that on the outsides of the front rotors, where the cooling veins end, it mostly is coated black, smooth and well machined. But there is a 3" to 4" section on each where there is no such coating, the area is LOWER then the rest of the rotor, and the material is much more rough and not at smooth.
I have attached some pics. Its only on the front rotors.

I have used Brembos on all my last cars, and never noticed this on Brembo rotors.

Second last pic is where the box was moist. Should I worry about it, or will that all be gone after I use the brakes?

Thanks.
You can probably take off the surface rust with a little Scotch-Brite, but unless the stain feels rough to the touch, it's only an aesthetic issue. If I remember correctly, I cleaned my last rotors with Simple Green and then brake cleaner prior to installation. Can anyone say if this this necessary for high-quality rotors?

That flat section along the vanes is definitely a little strange. I will be curious what you find out.

Last edited by slipstream; 01-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #180
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My StopTech kit has "flat" spots on the rotor too. Probably material removed for balancing?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #181
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
My StopTech kit has "flat" spots on the rotor too. Probably material removed for balancing?
Do you have a pic?
I would think that is would throw it off balance??? My Brembo rotors were uniform all the way around.
Im pretty sure its normal though.
      01-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #182
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
AP kit arrived today.
Box with the front kits was a little wet, but everything seems to be OK. Just have a little rust on one of the rotors, but should scrub off with first application.

I do have a question though about the front rotors.
Upon inspection, I noticed that on the outsides of the front rotors, where the cooling veins end, it mostly is coated black, smooth and well machined. But there is a 3" to 4" section on each where there is no such coating, the area is LOWER then the rest of the rotor, and the material is much more rough and not at smooth.
I have attached some pics. Its only on the front rotors.

I have used Brembos on all my last cars, and never noticed this on Brembo rotors.

Second last pic is where the box was moist. Should I worry about it, or will that all be gone after I use the brakes?

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about the wet boxes. The west coast has been nailed with some unusually bad weather recently. We had our local FedEx guy pass through here last week when it was really coming down. You could see a waterfall coming down where his side steps are. Apparently the water was coming through the body seams behind the engine and running out the door!

The rust will come off a few seconds after you hit the brakes. If it bothers you, ScotchBrite and WD-40 will take it off. Just remember to spray it down with brake clean to remove the oil before putting the wheels back on.

The machined area on the outside diameter is from machine balancing. Each rotor is individually balanced to avoid any shakes at high speed. Brembo often uses clips in the vanes to balance the rotor, but we feel can hinder even airflow through the vanes. To avoid any of that, they are machine balanced.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #183
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Congrats Stalker! You are going to notice a totally different brake feel soon. Good luck on your installation. I am still waiting for spring to get on a track to really test mine.
      01-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #184
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
Sorry to hear about the wet boxes. The west coast has been nailed with some unusually bad weather recently. We had our local FedEx guy pass through here last week when it was really coming down. You could see a waterfall coming down where his side steps are. Apparently the water was coming through the body seams behind the engine and running out the door!

The rust will come off a few seconds after you hit the brakes. If it bothers you, ScotchBrite and WD-40 will take it off. Just remember to spray it down with brake clean to remove the oil before putting the wheels back on.

The machined area on the outside diameter is from machine balancing. Each rotor is individually balanced to avoid any shakes at high speed. Brembo often uses clips in the vanes to balance the rotor, but we feel can hinder even airflow through the vanes. To avoid any of that, they are machine balanced.

Chris
Thanks for chiming in Chris.
I will take the rust off before install, no worries there. Been getting a lot of rain in ATL also.
Glad to hear the machining is normal.
The kit is very nice and I want to thank Renn-Spec, the poor guys there answered so many Qs before I decided on which kit to get.
      01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #185
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Congrats Stalker! You are going to notice a totally different brake feel soon. Good luck on your installation. I am still waiting for spring to get on a track to really test mine.
Thanks.
Im planning on hitting Road Atlanta in March, so I should put the APs to good use.
      01-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #186
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:

Chris
...to within a radial runout tolerance of 0.000" to 0.003" I would guess.
      01-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #187
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Uhhh, no. He is talking about machining to rotationally balance, not run out tolerance. They are unrelated.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #188
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good choice on the brakes! Looking forward to your review.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #189
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Radial tolerance is a little less important than balance, so those tolerances would be tighter than required. As a side note, lateral runout and DTV are much tighter than the numbers you have listed.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #190
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe55 View Post
Since this a thread about AP Brakes I thought I would chime in and ask Chris whether they got the pads to fit the CP 6602 rear kit.
I am running PFC 01 pads custom made for the rears because the CP6602 kit is a europeon kit and pads are not available yet in NA. At least they weren't last month.
Both Ferodo DS2500 (street) and DS3000 (track) pads are now available in the USA for the Euro rear kit.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #191
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Radial tolerance is a little less important than balance, so those tolerances would be tighter than required. As a side note, lateral runout and DTV are much tighter than the numbers you have listed.

Chris
I see, so for the AP Racing strap-drive rotors used in your street kits, the acceptable lateral runout tolerance would be in the 0.0125" range?
      01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #192
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see, so for the AP Racing strap-drive rotors used in your street kits, the acceptable lateral runout tolerance would be in the 0.0125" range?
Wow, you are really missing it. He said the radial value you listed is too tight meaning too small. Again that number does not even really matter. However, LATERAL tolerances are tighter, meaning smaller than the number you listed. Anything in the .01" range for lateral would be a huge issue for performance and feel.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #193
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Both Ferodo DS2500 (street) and DS3000 (track) pads are now available in the USA for the Euro rear kit.

Chris
Those do not compare to PFC01's -- I would talk to PF about making the rear caliper fitment pad.

BTW, what did you do to custom-fit the PFC01's you have on the rear kit now??

Last edited by mastek; 01-27-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #194
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, you are really missing it. He said the radial value you listed is too tight meaning too small. Again that number does not even really matter. However, LATERAL tolerances are tighter, meaning smaller than the number you listed. Anything in the .01" range for lateral would be a huge issue for performance and feel.
I have always appreciated and respected your valuable contribution on these boards Marshall...

I just wanted to tell you thanks for all the hard work you put into helping the m3post community.

I should have added another zero after the decimal point. (0.00125")

Anyway, I was just curious to see what AP Racings in-house standards are in relation to this brake rotor specification. Thanks for chiming in to help Chris out.
      01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #195
rzm3
Rep

Just to make things clear...

I think that radial runout is more of a geometric check correct?

And balance, a dynamic check, is measured in terms of vibration (in mils), or the so-called lateral runout?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #196
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Chris
DS3000s were not kind to my track wheels finish last time I used them.
      01-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #197
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DS3000s were not kind to my track wheels finish last time I used them.
No, they are not. We are looking at other options (including the Ferodo DS1.11), but this is the only kit currently in the USA using that exact pad shape. That makes it much more difficult stock better options.

Also, there will be an expanding line of pads coming out this year that will be branded "AP Racing". Over six years in development, this line will include two levels of street pads and several racing variants. Obviously, AP Racing calipers will be on the top of the list for fitment, but there will be many others -- especially OE calipers. More info will be coming out soon.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #198
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, they are not. We are looking at other options (including the Ferodo DS1.11), but this is the only kit currently in the USA using that exact pad shape. That makes it much more difficult stock better options.

Also, there will be an expanding line of pads coming out this year that will be branded "AP Racing". Over six years in development, this line will include two levels of street pads and several racing variants. Obviously, AP Racing calipers will be on the top of the list for fitment, but there will be many others -- especially OE calipers. More info will be coming out soon.

Chris
Good to know.
The Mintex pads that come with the kit should be similar to the DS2500, at least in operating temp, now sure about friction and torque. Gotta test them out.