BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
The Akrapovic exhaust is made of titanium so it does change color from heat, but the color is awesome. The pipes will change first and if you get the tips hot enough, they will change on the inside. They won't change on the outside of the tips at all. But if you don't track the car, they probably won't change that much.

I was in the same dilemma trying to choose between the slip on and performance. In the end I went slip on because I thought maybe in the future i'd want to upgrade to the EVO. I'm glad I made the right choice and also ended up upgrading to the EVO. Best exhaust for the M3 because it looks amazing, sounds good, AND you drop more weight than any other exhaust. Most people forget about weight-loss when buying an exhaust. That's probably a bigger deal than the couple of HP you gain.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

From what I eard on vids, I much prefer the sound of the Performance exhaust, I think it sounds real bad ass but not to loud! Also the tips looks perfect to me, classy but sporty also.

Also on my cars, I always prefer to put OEM parts when it's possible, I think it gives a cleaner look that will still look good in many years from now!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Akra
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
From what I eard on vids, I much prefer the sound of the Performance exhaust, I think it sounds real bad ass but not to loud! Also the tips looks perfect to me, classy but sporty also.

Also on my cars, I always prefer to put OEM parts when it's possible, I think it gives a cleaner look that will still look good in many years from now!
I'm pretty sure in this case Akra looks and is built much better than OEM. The quality of this exhaust is probably the most striking feature about it. It's literally a work of art.

It's also worth noting BMW used the Akra exhaust in their GT4 cars.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NELSON.MLGB View Post
BMW Performance is overpriced. I have Remus uss with carbon tips, cheaper, looks better, louder and deeper. $3200 AKRA + $500 test pipes, loud enough. And also in terms of resale price, AKRA FTW.
I was driving behind you on 16th a couple weeks ago, you car does sound really good

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
I was driving behind you on 16th a couple weeks ago, you car does sound really good
Aha, but not comparable to yours
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I'm pretty sure in this case Akra looks and is built much better than OEM. The quality of this exhaust is probably the most striking feature about it. It's literally a work of art.

It's also worth noting BMW used the Akra exhaust in their GT4 cars.
Well, look is subjective but in fact I like both tips equaly, as far a quality, yes the Akra is a piece of art but since it's under the car, I does'nt considere that too much of a factor, it's not like the Performance is not quality made, it just look less fancy from under the car.

In this case, the main factor for me is the sound since both have similar price and similar weight saving and they both look extremely good! If I were to buy a x-pipe later I would choose the Akra.

In all case I can't justify paying that much for an exhaust when you can have a used VT1 for 5k and also you can buy the best sounding exhaust of all for 1500$(Corsa)!

p.s. both Akra and OEM have exellent resale value!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

I cross shopped both. I decided on Akra

The Akra does not drone. It's plenty loud for my taste.
      03-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

So I went with the M Performance. Just ordered it through my dealer. I paid a little more than the best internet price I could find. I figured its good to pay a little more to keep a good relationship with your dealer. They were almost as enthusiastic as I was.

In the end it came down to countless sound clips, and the fact that it is a genuine BMW part and that works well for both resale as well as trade-in. It also gives my car a sense of "completeness" with the other M Performance pieces I have. Both systems have great build quality and the price difference wasn't enough to swing me one way or another. By comparison, Eisenmann's Inconel exhaust is over $7600, making the M performance a relative bargain. Also can't get hassled by cops and inspection stations. In fact, the dealer actually gave me the federal standards testing report for the exhaust with regards to sound levels. Another benefit of the fact that it is a BMW part.

Should be here in a few days. Then I will need to decide whether or not to paint the cans.

Can't wait !!!
      03-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Full system is not an option for me due to OBD based emission testing in my state. Has to not trigger a CEL, and pass readiness.
Akra offers a module you can plug into the back of the ODB2 that will mask the CEL. That could be an option if you don't wish to get your ECU codes...
      03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
So I went with the M Performance. Just ordered it through my dealer. I paid a little more than the best internet price I could find. I figured its good to pay a little more to keep a good relationship with your dealer. They were almost as enthusiastic as I was.

In the end it came down to countless sound clips, and the fact that it is a genuine BMW part and that works well for both resale as well as trade-in. It also gives my car a sense of "completeness" with the other M Performance pieces I have. Both systems have great build quality and the price difference wasn't enough to swing me one way or another. By comparison, Eisenmann's Inconel exhaust is over $7600, making the M performance a relative bargain. Also can't get hassled by cops and inspection stations. In fact, the dealer actually gave me the federal standards testing report for the exhaust with regards to sound levels. Another benefit of the fact that it is a BMW part.

Should be here in a few days. Then I will need to decide whether or not to paint the cans.

Can't wait !!!
Nice! Just saw this follow up. Hopefully we can have a MA meet this spring that you can attend. I'd love to hear it in person!
      03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Nice! Just saw this follow up. Hopefully we can have a MA meet this spring that you can attend. I'd love to hear it in person!
My local dealer, BMW of West Springfield is hosting some sort of BMW sponsored open house event later in the spring. Not sure of the details, but this might be a good place to have a meet. Other events....Herb Chambers Cars and Coffee, Larz Andersen museum Cars and Coffee, and German Car Day. The Boston BMWCCA chapter also has an event at the Larz Andersen museum each year.

Have just been getting my M3 out recently after winter hibernation. God it feels good !!!
      03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Akra offers a module you can plug into the back of the ODB2 that will mask the CEL. That could be an option if you don't wish to get your ECU codes...
But for OBD based emissions testing, you will still fail the "readiness" portion of the test. Full exhaust is just not an option for me as I just don't want to deal with the potential hassles
      03-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
If you get caught, it's a $2,500 fine.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/7522
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/7524
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #37
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I still prefer my m perf over the Akra cutback sound. And the exhaust is plenty loud when you floor it under load. No sputtering or rasp or drone. The roar of the engine and exhaust are in unison and available on command (instead of a overly done exhaust sound overpowering that sweet engine sound). The problem is that you gotta be wound up and cooking, which is not how you can drive surrounded by traffic. But driving along the windy turns and hills on the pacific coast and in the mountains I'm in heaven.

If I didn't have this exhaust i would probably get a Challenge. The Megan exhaust also sounds great and is cheap.

I like the nice clean sound of the m perf. I hear thundering exhausts coming from meek cars all the time at the stop light here in the Bay Area and that shit cracks me up.

If I wanted to be loud just driving around the neighborhood or in the Wholefoods parking lot I would get a different exhaust.